Breaking News on Dowell Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
JR, quit it.

The BOOM has changed and so has SU. This is not 1985 for either band. Heck I prefer the director BEFORE Taylor took over the first time. If anything, Taylor changed the BOOM...and it wasn't go be like SU. He just wanted to entertain. But don't come acting like the Jukebox has not changed and don't act like ya'll didn't suck (relatively) during the Jackson era. Your instrumentation has also changed. Also, i won't call everyone Memorex. I think certain bands like JSU, SU and even GSU have an identity. However, 2-3 bands have copied dayum near everything from the BOOM.
All we did was add more woodwinds and percussion to the band. The woodwinds were added so that we could build up our concert band program and they have added a nice touch to our sound. And the band did not suck during the Jackson era, I would put the 2008 and 2011 bands up against any SU band 2000-present.

All we did was add more woodwinds and percussion to the band. The woodwinds were added so that we could build up our concert band program and they have added a nice touch to our sound. And the band did not suck during the Jackson era, I would put the 2008 and 2011 bands up against any SU band 2000-present.

They aspire to be what the Jukebox is. How many stank grads have we had on our staff at SU?? 0. How many SU grads has jstank had on their staff? I rest my case. And their still Superbowl-LESS.......Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! LOSERS!!!!

At the @1:17 mark, look to your right and notice the Doll with the Teletubby physique.

teletubbies10.jpg
Word? She looks good to me though...

They aspire to be what the Jukebox is. How many stank grads have we had on our staff at SU?? 0. How many SU grads has jstank had on their staff? I rest my case. And their still Superbowl-LESS.......Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!! LOSERS!!!!
Dude....... Yes JSU has hired su grads..... Davis hired duplesis, & Taylor hired Adams & now Sanford.... But....not one of them changed the boom in any major way..... Concept or sound wise. Davis and Harold Haughton made the boom.... Son. So who gives a damn about Jackson state giving y'all grads a job. Su are not the only non alumni to be on JSU band staff. I assure you....JSU don't care if u came from SU, Ohio state, Mexico, planet Mars.... If u are good at what u do...u can get a job teaching your passion, but its only right the leader of the program be an alumni.....because who should love the band more...

Last edited:
I'm all for hiring..non alumni....if they are extraordinary at what they do....but I would always want the head band director... To be an alumni of the school they went to & marched in.....he or she SHOULD be the boss....to protect tradition & lead the school they choose to attend FIRST, love, and graduated from. But that's my opinion. How I always felt. If SU wants to always have full alumni staff that's cool too. I think Haymer & staff will do wonders..& also the new boom staff will also.

Last edited:
I've always admired Doc Greggs, he had an excellent program in place.... & all knew Haymer was the future of su band....wayyyy before doc Gregg's retired. Dr. Liddell should have done the same...but messed it up. Taylor came back and has got the sonic boom ship back on course. How it should have been done in the first place. Both of these schools are great bands. But the all time greatest arranger ever in swac was...Prof. William w. Davis...JSU. Best drill designer Swac...Doc. Issac Greggs....SU

Harold Haughton was great with drill design also. I love both these schools, they kill any other bands they face....hands down!!!

Dude....... Yes JSU has hired su grads..... Davis hired duplesis, & Taylor hired Adams & now Sanford.... But....not one of them changed the boom in any major way..... Concept or sound wise. Davis and Harold Haughton made the boom.... Son. So who gives a damn about Jackson state giving y'all grads a job. Su are not the only non alumni to be on JSU band staff. I assure you....JSU don't care if u came from SU, Ohio state, Mexico, planet Mars.... If u are good at what u do...u can get a job teaching your passion, but its only right the leader of the program be an alumni.....because who should love the band more...

Well, when Duplesis was the Interim HBD, the Boom was pretty bad. So i guess he left his Mark. When our other directors left and Adams had more say during the Liddell era, the sound of the BOOM went to a whisper and was embarrassing. I think Sanford and Taylor compliment each other but we all know Sanford has no say in how the BOOM is run. I do believe that he is behind those stand in place moments the BOOM now has. He did that mess at NSU.. smh

Last edited:
The Boom was its absolute worse under Renardo R. Murray, discipline went clean out the window! Taylor believes in discpline at all times! I think Sanford has been a good fit for the Boom.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I guess it's ok to,say congrats ti Rodick Little. He and Hollinger and Kevin Johnson will be the new young leaders of a powerhouse HBCU band. This to is like having young Dowell Taylor with Michael McGruder and James Holden on staf not to mention the guidance they will have with Dr. Sanford, the newer version of (PoP a Doo) lol.
Please don't troll this into anything but congrats to a group of professional and talented young men charting their future.

Reactions: JR
I guess it's ok to,say congrats ti Rodick Little. He and Hollinger and Kevin Johnson will be the new young leaders of a powerhouse HBCU band. This to is like having young Dowell Taylor with Michael McGruder and James Holden on staf not to mention the guidance they will have with Dr. Sanford, the newer version of (PoP a Doo) lol.
Please don't troll this into anything but congrats to a group of professional and talented young men charting their future.

The Maestro has spoken! Congrads to the new young leaders and thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Am I missing something, what happen to L Hollinger, anit he the conductor of the University Woodwind Ensemble, been on the staff since Liddell days working if he has not got yet his Doctorate! I don't doubt Little nor Kevan Johnson , which has been arranging for the boom since 2000 starting with Thong Song, Golden time of Day, Under Pressure etc.....but what songs has Little arranged?\ Little directs all songs because thats what you did as a Drum major under Liddell 90% of time unless it was the earlier 90's or marches, I don't see Lowell staying and I dont see the band being as discipline this year if ( Taylor is not in the stands nor Hollinger) I feel that was a punch in the face but the SONIC BOOM will live on!

Am I missing something, what happen to L Hollinger, anit he the conductor of the University Woodwind Ensemble, been on the staff since Liddell days working if he has not got yet his Doctorate! I don't doubt Little nor Kevan Johnson , which has been arranging for the boom since 2000 starting with Thong Song, Golden time of Day, Under Pressure etc.....but what songs has Little arranged?\ Little directs all songs because thats what you did as a Drum major under Liddell 90% of time unless it was the earlier 90's or marches, I don't see Lowell staying and I dont see the band being as discipline this year if ( Taylor is not in the stands nor Hollinger) I feel that was a punch in the face but the SONIC BOOM will live on!
Hollinger isn't gone anywhere! Little,Hollinger and Johnson,along with Dr Sanford will guide the boom. Discipline isn't going anywhere. Those kids respect Little to the highest,just walk in on one of their practices when he steps on the podium. As far as arranging,don't know where you've been but Little is a hell of an arranger and wrote many of the booms top hits the last few years. It takes more than credentials and length of service to be a great leader. You have to have that it factor,personality and be able to connect with the students. All 3 of those young cats bring something different to the table and will compliment each other well! Little is a younger version of Taylor,Hollinger is cut throat and very aggressive like Liddell was and we all know what Kevin will do with arrangements. Congrats guys!!

Some of the chicks that dance for JSU are thick too... so I am unsure how singling that one Doll out makes any sense

Hollinger isn't gone anywhere! Little,Hollinger and Johnson,along with Dr Sanford will guide the boom. Discipline isn't going anywhere. Those kids respect Little to the highest,just walk in on one of their practices when he steps on the podium. As far as arranging,don't know where you've been but Little is a hell of an arranger and wrote many of the booms top hits the last few years. It takes more than credentials and length of service to be a great leader. You have to have that it factor,personality and be able to connect with the students. All 3 of those young cats bring something different to the table and will compliment each other well! Little is a younger version of Taylor,Hollinger is cut throat and very aggressive like Liddell was and we all know what Kevin will do with arrangements. Congrats guys!!

I think a lot of the kids and recent alumni "preferred" Hollinger and felt like he paid his dues and is getting shafted or passed over. But I think Taylor sees himself in Little. But the biggest get is getting that arranger on staff full time if that's the case. Young fella is a beast of an arranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back