Black College Coaching Changes for 2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deuce

Serious responses only please.

Which HBCU's will likely be looking for new coaches (football) in 2005?

Too early to discuss this issue? Don't tell Ron Zook that. HBCU's don't have the financial resources to make a move like Florida did, but with black college football becoming more and more popular, AD's & presidents are having to make harder and faster decisions.

The following is my list of POSSIBLE coaches who could be making a move at the end of the season, either volunterily or involunterily.

In no particular order.

James Reese, Tennessee State - Although he has had some success since taking over in 2000, things haven't been the same since the Cole boys rode out of town.

James Bell, Jackson State - Took him 17 games to get his first quality win, is it too little, too late?

Melvin Spears, Grambling - Lost All-SWAC QB early, but loss to JSU has alumni up in arms.

Dr. Johnny Thomas, Alcorn - Was pre-season #1 in the East, but proceeded to lose by 33 points at home to pre-season #2 in the East. Natives are beginning to get restless.

Charlie Coe, Alabama State - Yup, if Mr. Charlie wins the SCG, could JSU, or GSU or the other ASU try to lure him away?

Billy Joe, FAMU - Will all of the NCAA and political mess, including the loss of the president, be enough to drive Billy Joe away?

Rick Comegy, Tuskegee - Still a good coach, although a shady one. Will he leave another I-AA "bride" at the alter, or have prospectives brides, I mean presidents, learned their lesson.

That's just a few of my "possible" coaching changes, there surely may be others. No, I'm not saying all or even any of them might make a move, it just appears that of the above list, some of them may be looking for greener pastures, whether they want to or not.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Of that list Bell is the most likely to go. Spears is a toss up becasue it is very likely that after Grambling finishes playing Savannah State, TxSO, etc, that the man will have a winning record. James Reese just signed a new multi-year deal with TNState so he is set. Besides, he always has one good season and then a bad one. If Johnnie Thomas was not fired when he was 0-11, he won't be fired now. Also, i told you all that Alcorn never should have been ranked first. How can they be first after losing almost the whole team from last year that only went 7-5?? Coe just got a contract and he ain't going nowhere....why would he? Comegy and LC will gets some looks for the Grambling opening. LC will get a look for the possible JSU opening. Billy Joe is also going nowhere. I think Joe just signed a new contract last year that takes him to about 2007.

The only openings I can see this year across BCF will at Grambling and possibly Norfolk State and Jackson State. Everyone else, 1-aa wise anyway, has the coach they won't or are in multiyear deals that will be hard to break.

TP,

You made some good points (I can't believe I said that :emlaugh: ), but remember, a "contract" is almost always for the protection of the coach, not the university, unless there is a buy-out clause.

In other word, it doesn't matter if a coach has just signed a new contract, if someone comes along and offers a better one, he is free to go. Period. Unless, as I stated above, there is a buy-out clause.

I don't see Spears staying either. He wasn't a popular choice to begin with, and he was given an interim title. Even though this team has suffered some major injuries, it was expected to contend for the SWAC title, and I don't think the school or alumni expected this team to be 3-4 at this point of the season. I don't see him staying even if they could win out.

REMEMBER, CHARLIE COE IS PLAYING WITH ANOTHER COACHES RECRUITS! COE IS NOT A PROVEN COACH. IT IS TO EARLY TO TELL ABOUT THIS GUY. THE TALENT THAT LC COLES RECRUITED AND LET AT ASU IS UNBELIEVABLE. THAT IS HOW ASU HAD THE SEASON THEY HAD LAST YEAR WHEN NOBODY EXPECTED NOTHING FROM THEM.

1. Melvin Spears - Don't think the alumni will stand to see him another year. I knew things was not going to be good for them when they loss to us in the first game. The only thing that get the pressure off of him is beat SU.
2. James Bell - first meaningful game he won, he is off the hot seat but pressure is still not off of him. If he beats Pine Bluff and A&M, he will not longer have the pressure on him (by most alumni).
3. Billie Joe - Most likely will leave if FAMU doesn't go IA by 2008. But it was a bad move for them to try to go by themselves in the first place.
4. Rick Comegy - Will only leave if he is offered a better oppertunity.
5. James Reese - Tennessee St. haven't been the same every since they beat JSU 64-33. He is not on the hotseat but they are not the program they use to be.
6. Johnny Thomas - Doubt it that they will let him go, but everyone is getting tired of ALMOST going to the SCG. In order for him to get some respect, he has to beat more than just PETE every other year.
7. Charlie Coe - Doubt he will leave unless ASU get another visit from the NCAA.

I think J- State will have to wait another year before Bell gets in the hot seat. Even though Bell is arrogant and stubborn. I think Mason is willing to take another gamble on him to see what happens next year. The only way I think he will leave is if Mason let's him go. But it won't be because of the influence of the fans and the Alumni. Been there, done that, and got two t-shirts with Thomas. I think really the only for him to leave is if Mason leaves first.
Spears although a fellow alum took over the Grambling team at the wrong time. And really the only reason that he got the job "from the network" is because Doug wanted him there.
As long as Dr. Bristow is Pres. at Alcorn Thomas is safe. Plus the fact that Coach Casem still has a lot of influence with Alcorn sports and he supports Thomas. But if the Prez ever decide to leave, which I have been praying for, Thomas will then begin to pack his bags.
Another one in the hot seat I think is Totten. MS Valley is in a situation where they are improving but I wonder is it fast enough. If you look at all the game they have played they have hung in there and most of the games they had the lead just couldn't hold on to it.

ASU2002 said:
I think J- State will have to wait another year before Bell gets in the hot seat. Even though Bell is arrogant and stubborn. I think Mason is willing to take another gamble on him to see what happens next year. The only way I think he will leave is if Mason let's him go. But it won't be because of the influence of the fans and the Alumni. Been there, done that, and got two t-shirts with Thomas. I think really the only for him to leave is if Mason leaves first.
Spears although a fellow alum took over the Grambling team at the wrong time. And really the only reason that he got the job "from the network" is because Doug wanted him there.
As long as Dr. Bristow is Pres. at Alcorn Thomas is safe. Plus the fact that Coach Casem still has a lot of influence with Alcorn sports and he supports Thomas. But if the Prez ever decide to leave, which I have been praying for, Thomas will then begin to pack his bags.
Another one in the hot seat I think is Totten. MS Valley is in a situation where they are improving but I wonder is it fast enough. If you look at all the game they have played they have hung in there and most of the games they had the lead just couldn't hold on to it.
Bell is a goner unless he wins at least 3 of 4. And that might not be enough, especially if the loss is to Alcorn.

I feel that a great candidate to fill the spot at Jackson State is Coach Kenny Phillips of Fayetteville State University back in North Carolina. He's brought that program from slaw to Greatness in 5 seasons. They've gone to the Pioneer Bowl, recived a berth to the NCAA DII Playoffs, and are on their way to their 3rd consecutive conference championship. :thumbsup

...Carry On..

With our administration Coe would be a fool to stay if somebody offered him a similar package to the one he has now. That offer may come with a SCG victory.

We want that "High Octane Big Play Offense" and nothing less. Let's bring back the great one in Minnasota and his other half that resides in the far west.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
:gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift: :gift:

The fortunes of Jackson State Footall hasn't been the same since late James "Big Daddy" Carson retired back in 1998. James Bell is seconded to Rod Pagie who is the worst head football coach in Tigers Football history. Tigernation need to rid themselves of both Culberson and Bell. I think the next head football coach of Jackson State is Mike White...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I see the Cole Boy's bidding for one of these jobs. Hell, there making Charlie Coe look like a master mind and we all know after he wins with these kids for maybe one more year, the $h%t will hit the fan at ASU. JSU and GSU you better get the Cole Boys on the horn now, so that you too can ride that wave all the way to the SWAC Championship in the near future.

In all honesty, either the Cole brothers or Comegy would be good for JSU. Not saying that I want them to go there, but based on what they have done shows that they can get the job done. I have never in my life time seen the type of recruiting or talent that L.C. and Johnny has provided for black schools. You can say what negative things you want too, but those brothers can bring them in. Over 20 players flew in from California to Montgomery. Not even Merrit of Tenn. State, Gordon of JSU or Eddie of GSU brought in that many players from the Coast to a city, state or town in the South. Those teams had good players, but the Cole brothers are ground zero for recruiting period. Behind the Cole brothers recruits, they have beaten JSU a total of seven times in a row. Two straight years at Tenn.State and five straight years at ASU.

I have feeling that Alcorn State will fired Coach Johnny Thomas. Braves Football has been the same since the days of Cardell Jones era back in the mid-1990's. It seems to me that Braves need to really consider going after either Bill Hayes or Mike White and former Fort Valley State Head Football Coach Kent Schoolfield. The Braves has too much history finnishing lin the middle of the pack within SWAC confernece. Alcorn State Football needs a breathe of fresh air and new direction period. This is program that was once Coached by the legandary Marino Casem. Coach Casem won six SBN National Titles during his tenure as the Braves Head Football Coach...

Bigwill said:
I see the Cole Boy's bidding for one of these jobs. Hell, there making Charlie Coe look like a master mind and we all know after he wins with these kids for maybe one more year, the $h%t will hit the fan at ASU. JSU and GSU you better get the Cole Boys on the horn now, so that you too can ride that wave all the way to the SWAC Championship in the near future.

No thanks. BTW... Cole Boys haven't been successful against the ICON.

HORNETSWARM said:
In all honesty, either the Cole brothers or Comegy would be good for JSU. Not saying that I want them to go there, but based on what they have done shows that they can get the job done. I have never in my life time seen the type of recruiting or talent that L.C. and Johnny has provided for black schools. You can say what negative things you want too, but those brothers can bring them in. Over 20 players flew in from California to Montgomery. Not even Merrit of Tenn. State, Gordon of JSU or Eddie of GSU brought in that many players from the Coast to a city, state or town in the South. Those teams had good players, but the Cole brothers are ground zero for recruiting period. Behind the Cole brothers recruits, they have beaten JSU a total of seven times in a row. Two straight years at Tenn.State and five straight years at ASU.

~smh~

No ifs, ands or buttts.

Bell has to go now. Who cares if he wins one or two games. Don't you get it. Look at the coversition. "one or two games" "Three of four"

Don't you think he has done enough!

If a HBCU AD recommends the Coles to his President, the President should fire the AD on the spot!!!! And if a President hires either of them, the President should be fired on the spot by their Regents.

Give the Coles two years and your school will be under NCAA investigation by year 3.

Nobody hasn't mention word about Winston-Salem State Rams Head Football coach Kermit Blount. The Rams definitely need to get rid of Blount and replace him with former Alcorn State Head Football Coach Cardell Jones. The Rams hasn't been winning confernece championships of late. I think jones wuld be right choice for WSSU Football Program.. Because he knows plenty about passing game and devoleping quaity quarterbacks i.e. Steve McNair. It would be nice to see Rams wrecking havoc in CIAA and Division II Football with Cardell Jones..

Well, Pimpnbb, I happen to disagree about any HBCU President would fired an Athletic Director for mention the name of the L.C. Cole. The alummuns and fans care about only one thing that is winning championships. Just ask the good people of Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, UGA, Miami, and Tennessee about putting winning ahead of princples. Each of the programs I mention hired crooked coaches such as Bear Bryant, Pat Dye, Jackie Sherril, Jim Donann, Jimmy Johnson, and Phillp Fulmer..

Finally, I absolutely agree that honorable Dr. Robert Mason must fired both Roy Culberson and Head Football Coach James Bell. We all know that this program need to hired somebody that respect the tradition of Jackson Tigers Football History. I believe the next Head Football could possibly be either current Florida Gators Assistant Head Football Coach Dewayne Dixon or FSU Head Football Kenny Phillps or former North Carolina A&T Head Football Coach Bill Hayes. Dewayne Dixon know plenty about passing game and could plenty of top-tier blue chip athletes to Jackson, Mississippi....

BlackCaesar2k5 said:
I believe the next Head Football could possibly be either current Florida Gators Assistant Head Football Coach Dewayne Dixon or FSU Head Football Kenny Phillps or former North Carolina A&T Head Football Coach Bill Hayes. Dewayne Dixon know plenty about passing game and could plenty of top-tier blue chip athletes to Jackson, Mississippi....

There is no way a top assistant at a top school would make the step down to become a head coach at any HBCU. These cats are trying to either become a D1A head coach or an NFL assistant. Why make a step back.

Secondly, you guys will eating out of Bell's hand. Bell built the powerful running game at UNT (North Texas). That runningback coach got the benefits of Bell after he left and was picked up by Miss State. Bell plays football, not this c**n-ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back