Best Balanced Band

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by s phi s
That's cool. Me personally, I never said that y'all play everything loud. I even said that you probably use dynamic contrast more and better than any band in the SWAC. I am far from a hater and far from a batch. I heard each of the songs you mentioned and I agree. You all played soft for you all. I don't profess to know everything about your band (probably wouldn't care to, the same as you would feel about mine). It looks more like you are trying to convince yourself rather than me. You all claim that natural brassy power for anything else. Well what I'm saying is simply a by-product of that. Yeah you played soft, for you. I never said it sounded bad. It's just not as soft as other bands. But it contrasts well with your power.

Once again, I say get over yourself and realize when somebody else gives you a compliment. Can't nobody else toot ya horn cuz you too busy tootin' it ya dayum self.

Trust me if any band plays softer than SU on those soft songs I listed, it's really no need for them to play......

We aren't playing soft for SU...we are actually playing soft!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry. How dare I question the softness of the most naturally powerful band in the SWAC. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry. How dare I question the softness of the most naturally powerful band in the SWAC. What was I thinking? :rolleyes:

You really do need to ask yourself that question......

While you at it, ask your self this:

What the heck makes you think one of the SMALLEST bands in the SWAC (SU 150+, last 3 years 130+) isn't capable of playing softer than the average SWAC band that averages at least 200+ each year?:rolleyes:

Once again, I say get over yourself and realize when somebody else gives you a compliment. Can't nobody else toot ya horn cuz you too busy tootin' it ya dayum self.
:nod:....good, cuz can't no body bring that natural smoke like we can.

:D

Originally posted by SUtrp96
You really do need to ask yourself that question......

While you at it, ask your self this:

What the heck makes you think one of the SMALLEST bands in the SWAC (SU 150+, last 3 years 130+) isn't capable of playing softer than the average SWAC band that averages at least 200+ each year?:rolleyes:

Jared, save that crap for the youngters man. Yeah you are one of the smaller bands overall, but you are mainly brass. Does that mean you can't play soft, NO. Dayum. How many times do I have to say it??? In how many languages. Pardon me for not agreeing with every point you make about your beloved program. For months you harped on the natural power that SU has. That applies to softness as well as loudness. The whole freaking thing is relative. You can think what ya want, but you can't tell me what I have heard with my ears and witnessed with my eyes. Just get over it man.

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
:nod:....good, cuz can't no body bring that natural smoke like we can.

:D

That statement right there is what I mean. Yeah you bring natural smoke. There is no denying that. But that same natural smoke applies to softness as well as loudness.

Let me say it like this (and watch what happens).....SU's soft is not as soft as most SWAC bands, but is more effective than any SWAC band because of the contrast between their loud and soft.

Jared, save that crap for the youngters man. Yeah you are one of the smaller bands overall, but you are mainly brass. Does that mean you can't play soft, NO. Dayum. How many times do I have to say it??? In how many languages. Pardon me for not agreeing with every point you make about your beloved program. For months you harped on the natural power that SU has. That applies to softness as well as loudness. The whole freaking thing is relative. You can think what ya want, but you can't tell me what I have heard with my ears and witnessed with my eyes. Just get over it man.

It's only relative if you allow it to be....

There is a such thing as control.....That SU very much has when it come to being able to play soft AS SOFT is meant to sound......

So I can assume you are saying FAMU can't play softer than the next band...

REMEMBER FAMU BRASS section is LARGER than SU's....

Explain that...

That statement right there is what I mean. Yeah you bring natural smoke. There is no denying that. But that same natural smoke applies to softness as well as loudness.

Let me say it like this (and watch what happens).....SU's soft is not as soft as most SWAC bands, but is more effective than any SWAC band because of the contrast between their loud and soft.
I don't know what to tell ya, s phi. If you mean, soft enough so only the director can hear.....then, yes....it's been done. I've heard SU as soft as any band out here, on many occasions.

Both of you are missing what I am saying. Yes even FAMU's soft has a loud quality to it. When I say relative, I mean that your soft is relative to your loud. If you can play fff, then your ppp sounds that much softer (no matter if it's louder than the next band's ppp). Does that mean that your band CAN'T play soft???? NO. It means that most of the time, even when you play soft, you are louder than other bands when they play soft. Y'all are twisting it up to make it seem as if I am saying something that I am not.

And no my band is not the best example of soft playing. Even though we have a good relitive balance and smoothness on ballads, it is never truly soft.

Does that mean that your band CAN'T play soft???? NO. It means that most of the time, even when you play soft, you are louder than other bands when they play soft. Y'all are twisting it up to make it seem as if I am saying something that I am not.
Now, I understand. I thought you meant SU couldn't play a song as soft as the next band.

....just going by what I read.

PS- Wha' da he11 is this topic about, again?

Thanx Blade. I never said that they couldn't. I have heard them do it before. Just saying on average the U's soft is a lil louder than the next band's soft. Some people didn't even realize that I slipped a compliment in there.

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
Now, I understand. I thought you meant SU couldn't play a song as soft as the next band.

....just going by what I read.

PS- Wha' da he11 is this topic about, again?

That's what I thought as well....

Just leave it at this....SU can and has played as soft as other bands out there...

Just say our NORMAL volume is louder than most others normal volume, becuase I still believe when we want to play soft...we are as soft as the next band.....
We just normally don't play soft....

I'll go for that.... Kill the relative stuff....Cause it DOC, Knighten, or Jackson say to play soft you best beleive it won't be no relative crap going on...we will be dropping that volume...Cause our directors don't play that isht....

I understand that. And you halfway see my point. Maybe this will help you understand what I mean by relative. If SU plays Still Fly then turns right around and plays Let It Flow, it will sound just that much softer because you played a blowing song before it. Therefore, Let It Flow IS soft, but it seems even softer relative to Still Fly.

No matter how soft you guys play, you are known for power, and everything you do will be compared to that power. It's the nature of the beast.

I understand that. And you halfway see my point. Maybe this will help you understand what I mean by relative. If SU plays Still Fly then turns right around and plays Let It Flow, it will sound just that much softer because you played a blowing song before it. Therefore, Let It Flow IS soft, but it seems even softer relative to Still Fly.

No matter how soft you guys play, you are known for power, and everything you do will be compared to that power. It's the nature of the beast.

I see what you are saying now....

In other words...correct me if I am wrong...

Our bandwidth between piano and forte is far greater than most bands, which makes OUR soft more noticable....

I believe I got it...

:cool: :cool: :cool: BLADE THATS WHAT I MEANT. DUDE YALL CHILL AND RELAX . I STILL HAVE MAD RESPECT FOR YALL POWER AND VERSATILITY HELL I EVEN MENTIONED A FEW BALLADS THAT WAS OVERPOWERING(TWISTED IN FALL 96 PV GAME WAS OFF THE CHAIN). I STILL SAY THAT FOR A BRASSY BAND YALLS SOFT MAYBE NOT A F BUT IF THERE IS A SUCH A FFP. LOL

P.S. IM A BEAST ON MY HORN TO. YALL HORN SECTION IN 2000 FELT US ALL 8 OF US.

CO/97 MAGNIFICANT MELLO----PHONE

LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YALL THIS YEAR TO.

Ya'll cats from SU are off the chain. This whole thread my boy mello has been trying to give ya'll a compliment by saying you can blow, and ya'll wanna argue over who can play the softest. :shame: I will never understand ya'lls ego. Every comment by a member of another band is not meant as a smack. This whole thead supports what I have always said... I cut for SU's band, but man I can't stand its band members.

Oh yeah we did break it off in thier arse in 2000 mello....:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magnificent Mellow!!!!! Phone!!!!!

Originally posted by solophone96

Oh yeah we did break it off in thier arse in 2000 mello....:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Magnificent Mellow!!!!! Phone!!!!!

Peace pipe crack pipe same thing.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back