Are Pookie and Ray Ray the basis of some blacks choosing Republican?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, cut the bullshit.

You don't dialogue because you, like so many others, don't have a real answer to why you follow the herd. You simply do what has always been done and use the same rationalizations that other Blacks use without truly knowing if they are valid or not.

I have enough sense to know a politician will say what it takes to get elected...which includes lying. Right now it is the lower and middle class whites who are being lied to and they are eating it up like pigs in slop. They are being told that the healthcare law will be repealed when that is currently impossible. They are being encouraged to believe that Obama can be impeached but they don't have any charges against him. They are being told that their guns will be taken away when that's not true...and it only took me a couple of minutes to think of this stuff.

I have enough sense to know a politician will say what it takes to get elected...which includes lying. Right now it is the lower and middle class whites who are being lied to and they are eating it up like pigs in slop. They are being told that the healthcare law will be repealed when that is currently impossible. They are being encouraged to believe that Obama can be impeached but they don't have any charges against him. They are being told that their guns will be taken away when that's not true...and it only took me a couple of minutes to think of this stuff.

You should have thought longer because that doesn't have shit to do with the reasons Blacks have voted Democrat for the past 50 years.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Please, cut the bullshit.

You don't dialogue because you, like so many others, don't have a real answer to why you follow the herd. You simply do what has always been done and use the same rationalizations that other Blacks use without truly knowing if they are valid or not.

You should have thought longer because that doesn't have shit to do with the reasons Blacks have voted Democrat for the past 50 years.

If you can't figure that out then there's nothing I can say to help you.

Intellectually lazy is an accurate description.

What I'm proposing requires that we be informed voters. That we think for ourselves rather than doing as we're told.

It's so much easier to be told "Republican - bad, Democrat - good, go vote Democrat every time". That doesn't require any thought. That doesn't require paying attention to what's going on politically. That doesn't require noticing how laws actually affect us. That doesn't require being informed about proposed new legislation and its possible affects on us.

Just be smug while "knowing" a "vote for a Democrat is a vote against racism".

Intellectually lazy indeed.

Message...

:|

When did Black people start voting primarily Democrat? Was it recently? Or was it ... back then? What caused the masses of Black people to vote Democrat ... back then?

In the video I posted, Malcolm X talks about Black people putting Democrats in office in 1964. 1964!

Yet, I'm being "disingenuous". You've got to be kidding me.

Yes, there have been a whole lot of lies told to some very ignorant people who still to this day do as they are told. An abundance of lies and ignorance.

Black folks in the South were barely registered to vote before the 1965 Voting Rights Act. The Blacks who were voting for Democrats were in the North voting for Northern Democrats. After 1965, Blacks in the South began voting and it was overwhelmingly against the folks who attempted to kill the Civil Rights Bill in 1964 (many new Republicans).

There have been 156 previous responses in this thread and no one has asked Braveheart to expound on what he means by self-hate and the so-called antics of "Pookie"and "Ray Ray" as it relates to blacks supporting the GOP.

There have been 156 previous responses in this thread and no one has asked Braveheart to expound on what he means by self-hate and the so-called antics of "Pookie"and "Ray Ray" as it relates to blacks supporting the GOP.

I was wondering the question was ever answered/discussed.

I tried to read the first page...it was all over the place.

Then BH chimed back in and even he didn't stay focused on his initial question. :noidea:

Black folks in the South were barely registered to vote before the 1965 Voting Rights Act. The Blacks who were voting for Democrats were in the North voting for Northern Democrats. After 1965, Blacks in the South began voting and it was overwhelmingly against the folks who attempted to kill the Civil Rights Bill in 1964 (many new Republicans).

:)

Very good response. Here's the problem though ... those people in the South who tried to kill the Civil Rights Bill were predominately Democrat. So, that would mean new Black voters in the South would have been primarily voting Republican. Then, something would have had to happen later to cause Blacks to switch to voting primarily Democrat.

Something happened in 1964 that led to most Blacks supporting the Democrats though Republicans were more in favor of civil rights causes at that time. The Democrats took advantage of an opportunity to sway the Black vote and the Republicans missed an opportunity to capture what should have been a natural base for them.

I am still trying to figure out how Pookie and Ray Ray is holding us back? I have been around many folks like that and I still don't do the things they do. Nothing they do has ever caused me not to go to college. Not to hold a job. Not to go out and have a good time. What are they doing to you folks? :confused:

Last edited:

Apparently, the question wasn't confusing to some. Or, one person gave his opinion and others chimed in to agree or disagree with him. :)

You had the opportunity to seek an explanation, but didn't. Why the weak complaining now?

:)

Very good response. Here's the problem though ... those people in the South who tried to kill the Civil Rights Bill were predominately Democrat. So, that would mean new Black voters in the South would have been primarily voting Republican. Then, something would have had to happen later to cause Blacks to switch to voting primarily Democrat.

Something happened in 1964 that led to most Blacks supporting the Democrats though Republicans were more in favor of civil rights causes at that time. The Democrats took advantage of an opportunity to sway the Black vote and the Republicans missed an opportunity to capture what should have been a natural base for them.

Did you miss the part about hardly any Blacks in the South being allowed to vote (without barriers) before 1964 when Dixicrats began switching to Republican due to the new law that outlawed their suppression tactics?

Apparently, the question wasn't confusing to some. Or, one person gave his opinion and others chimed in to agree or disagree with him. :)

You had the opportunity to seek an explanation, but didn't. Why the weak complaining now?

*sigh*

Sigh. Faint. Weep. Do you whatever you want to do. You better hope SS is there to catch you when you faint or at least provide a shoulder to cry on.

I'm not like you, Kendrick. I have no need for backhanded comments. Right or wrong, I say what I want and leave you to deal with it the best way you can.

Like I said, you had the opportunity to seek clarification early on if that's what you wanted or needed.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Did you miss the part about hardly any Blacks in the South being allowed to vote (without barriers) before 1964 when Dixicrats began switching to Republican due to the new law that outlawed their suppression tactics?

One smart rascal. :)

I like that, but I'm getting at something else. Though I have to admit what you're saying is very true.

Sigh. Faint. Weep. Do you whatever you want to do. You better hope SS is there to catch you when you faint or at least provide a shoulder to cry on.

I'm not like you, Kendrick. I have no need for backhanded comments. Right or wrong, I say what I want and leave you to deal with it the best way you can.

:clap:

Eisenhower had a fair amount of black support. Nixon got a little love too. It was that 1964 election changed things when Barry Goldwater came out against the civil rights act. Goldwater started a rightward track for the GOP that they still haven't veered from.

I have more than a few frat brothers who really believe I am republican because I disagree with them on a few topics.

Eisenhower had a fair amount of black support. Nixon got a little love too. It was that 1964 election changed things when Barry Goldwater came out against the civil rights act. Goldwater started a rightward track for the GOP that they still haven't veered from.

Thank you for bringing Goldwater into this discussion. Most of the Southern Democrats changed their party affiliation due to his stance on Civil Rights. He had a heavy influence on Ronald Reagan and he also switched political parties....

Last edited:

Goldwater was a true republican - the modern day people just lay claim to being conservative - they are not conservatives.

Thank you for bringing Goldwater into this discussion. Most of the Southern Democrats changed their party affiliation due to his stance on Civil Rights. He had a heavy influence on Ronald Reagan and he also switched political parties....

Reagan's Time for choosing speech in support of Goldwater is one the best political speeches I ever heard. It was really the starting point of the Republican party's dominant rise in American politics. Even though the Goldwater election was a blowout, the seeds were sown.

[video=youtube;qXBswFfh6AY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBswFfh6AY[/video]

LBJ was a closet racist also.

More smart brothers. :) I'm glad you all brought Barry Goldwater into the conversation because that's where I was heading.

There are two things that I think contributed to Blacks starting to vote en masse for Democrats in 1964:

1) Barry Goldwater didn't support the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which allowed the Democrats to successfully portray him as a racist. Moderate Republicans did not support Goldwater because of this, but they neglected to solicit the Black vote though they had been more in favor of civil rights legislation than the Democrats to this point. Big mistake.

The Democrats were able to paint Barry Goldwater/racist which meant Republicans/racist to Black people. In 1964, even if Barry Goldwater was racist, he was no more racist than many in the Democratic party. The Democrats of the time had been fighting against civil rights much harder than the Republican Party had. Yet, we bought the Republican - racist, Democrat - not racist lie hook, line and sinker. When in fact they were BOTH racist and still are as far as I'm concerned.

2) Great Society domestic programs. These domestic programs that Lyndon Baines Johnson supported (most of which are still around today) gave a lot of hope to the country, but especially to a people on the verge of escaping second-class citizenship. Many of the programs don't apply to this discussion, but the few that do played a huge role in keeping many of our people mired in second-class citizenship. From public housing to supposed aid to families with dependent child children that require(d) one to be in poverty to qualify for it or for a father to not be in the home ... the destruction they have caused to our community is not debatable. Yet, this "help" from the government - particularly the Democrats - seemed like a blessing at the time. So, we hitched ourselves to the Democrats. Many of us now wonder if it was a curse. And if it was intentionally done by those who knew that a self-reliant, independent people would be much more economically powerful and politically powerful than we are today.

Malcolm X was so right in that we needed to control our political power and economic power. Not be beholden to either party, but require them to deliver the goods to get our support. He was so right about so many other things as well. The importance of ensuring that we are educated. The importance of strong families. Moral rectitude. Manhood - the importance manhood.

We can agree to disagree, brothers. But, even in the darkest days of slavery, segregation and oppression, we have proven to ourselves and others that life is better when you control your own. Black Wall Street in Greenwood, Oklahoma. That's why it had to be burned down. Blacks getting too powerful. Too independent of the white man. Many other examples ... on and on. HBCUs. How many of our parents and grandparents would have never been educated if they had to depend on the man? Oprah could have stayed with a network, but life is better ... although she's struggling ... when you control your own.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

I agree.

Regan was the best actor who ever held the Oval Office!!!!! He acted his scenes to perfection while Bush daddy ran it from behind. Bill Clinton comes into second place while Hillary played the role from behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back