And they say Houston isn't worthy enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Blu Panther
alot of those alumni won't come out for odd reasons...for example, when SU had a decent basketball team, their fans still stayed at home despite their "large" alumni base.

when the announcement is made, we'll find out how large some of these alums are in a few months.

That is not true BP. When I had first moved to H-town in 91 the SU bball program was still rolling then. And from 91 till about 97 or 98 the SU vs TSU game would be a nice crowd. Full of SU alumni. I can still see Jumpi Jones running through TxSU defense for the last second win. There were a large SU contigent there. It only dropped off during the latter 90s.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Valid Points

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Why do people post who don't know jack.

Yeah, Why do you?
burial.gif

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The Southern vs TSU game was big. In fact in a lot of cases the crowd would rival the TSU vs PV. In addition to Southern drop off in basketball the addition of Alabama AM an Alabama St hurt this game. The Southern vs TSU was always a Saturday game. It changed to week day game after the addition of the above mentioned school. In fact one year the game was played in November.

Did everyone miss was Blue said. Maybe we are talking baseball.

1. Southern vs Pv
2. SWAC Baseball Championship in Minute Maid Park.

Man this would be different, African American Players, playing before home crowd.

Originally posted by East Tex Tiger
The Southern vs TSU game was big. In fact in a lot of cases the crowd would rival the TSU vs PV. In addition to Southern drop off in basketball the addition of Alabama AM an Alabama St hurt this game. The Southern vs TSU was always a Saturday game. It changed to week day game after the addition of the above mentioned school. In fact one year the game was played in November.

:confused:

How are you gonna blame Alabama schools because YOUR game isn't as big as you thought it should be?

YOU control YOUR OWN competitiveness....not us!
YOu say that the SU contingent is sooo big in Houston....then ask THEM why they don't show up to the game anymore.

Your scapegoat crusade isn't gonna work here...

Did everyone miss was Blue said. Maybe we are talking baseball.

1. Southern vs Pv
2. SWAC Baseball Championship in Minute Maid Park.

Man this would be different, African American Players, playing before home crowd.

Yep you are right about those SU vs TxSU games. I forgot they used to be on Saturdays and then they moved them. That was a good game at HP&E which is a good atmosphere for bball.

Good catch on BPs post. Never thought about the baseball deal. He did say bring your sun tan lotion. Hmmmmmm interesting. Still will wait and see. BP done sced the Bamas into thinking it was the SCG. Hell he had all of us fooled.

Originally posted by JR
Good catch on BPs post. Never thought about the baseball deal. He did say bring your sun tan lotion. Hmmmmmm interesting. Still will wait and see. BP done sced the Bamas into thinking it was the SCG. Hell he had all of us fooled.

Yep, the man never gave any indication about football. That's why I've developed this motto off of seeing some of the tangents gone off on over the years on this page......

Reading is Fundamental, but COMPREHENSION is a NECESSITY!!

Originally posted by Ntelekt
:confused:

How are you gonna blame Alabama schools because YOUR game isn't as big as you thought it should be?

YOU control YOUR OWN competitiveness....not us!
YOu say that the SU contingent is sooo big in Houston....then ask THEM why they don't show up to the game anymore.

Your scapegoat crusade isn't gonna work here...

Talk about missing the point. The addition of the Alabama Schools affected the scheduling of Basketball.
I am not one to make excuses. I deal in facts not myths.

Talk about missing the point. The addition of the Alabama Schools affected the scheduling of Basketball.
I am not one to make excuses. I deal in facts not myths.

I didn't miss the point at all.

I'm trying to stress the fact that because the game was simply moved from Saturday to midweek should not affect the supposed big rivalry as much as it did, especially considering the vast number of TxSU and SU alums that are IN Houston.
I can understand someone not wanting to travel hither and yon to get to the game on a Thursday, but if you're IN the city...there really isn't an excuse for the masses.

Speaking of the Bamas, if we played Bama State in either Huntsville or the Gump on a WEDNESDAY, BOTH arenas would be jam packed. Now THAT'S a rivalry regardless of the level of competitiveness from year to year.

That's all, man. :)

Speaking of the Bamas, if we played Bama State in either Huntsville or the Gump on a WEDNESDAY, BOTH arenas would be jam packed. Now THAT'S a rivalry regardless of the level of competitiveness from year to year.

I can say the same about TXSU vs PVU.

Originally posted by Incipience
I can say the same about TXSU vs PVU.

And???

We aren't talking about TxSU vs PV...no one has complained about the intensity of that rivalry dying down in hoops.

We are talking about TxSU vs SU, and why those SU and TxSU alums in the city do not come out for that game like they used to.

I dont' believe that changing the day of the week is the factor...

And???

We aren't talking about TxSU vs PV...no one has complained about the intensity of that rivalry dying down in hoops.

We are talking about TxSU vs SU, and why those SU and TxSU alums in the city do not come out for that game like they used to.

I dont' believe that changing the day of the week is the factor...

Dude get over yourself. This conversation has jumped back and forth from school to school.

Every TSU supporter knows that since Jason Jenkins left TSU to work for 49ers, sports info hasn't been the same.

And no the day of the week doesn't matter.

Originally posted by Bengal E
Yep, the man never gave any indication about football. That's why I've developed this motto off of seeing some of the tangents gone off on over the years on this page......

Reading is Fundamental, but COMPREHENSION is a NECESSITY!!

and believeing anything blu-panther insinuate is a "don't hold your breath"

Originally posted by Incipience

Every TSU supporter knows that since Jason Jenkins left TSU to work for 49ers, sports info hasn't been the same.

Here Here!!!

*raising my glass for a toast*

Personally I think the move to Houston sucks. I don't believe the support will be there. If they can't guarantee the New Reliant stadium every year then that is another problem. Shreveport or Dallas would be interesting for the SCG in football.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I didn't miss the point at all.

I'm trying to stress the fact that because the game was simply moved from Saturday to midweek should not affect the supposed big rivalry as much as it did, especially considering the vast number of TxSU and SU alums that are IN Houston.
I can understand someone not wanting to travel hither and yon to get to the game on a Thursday, but if you're IN the city...there really isn't an excuse for the masses.

there isnt a larger basketball rivalry in the SWAC than AAMU and ASU bottom line. No matter where it is played it is going to be sold out EARLY that morning or even earlier in that week. There are fans and students from BOTH schools.... and keep in mind Montgomery and Huntsville are about 3 hours apart.

Originally posted by MACK OF THE SWAC
Personally I think the move to Houston sucks. I don't believe the support will be there. If they can't guarantee the New Reliant stadium every year then that is another problem. Shreveport or Dallas would be interesting for the SCG in football.

Dallas would be another Houston. I think having it in boundary states (Texas or Alabama) makes it too far to travel for most fans. Shreveport would be cool. Its about a 4 hour radius for probably 7 or 8 schools.

I think that is what needs to be considered. Having the game where the location hits the most schools/alumni. B. Alabama is to far East for the West schools and Houston/Dallas is too far West for the East schools.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
Dallas would be another Houston. I think having it in boundary states (Texas or Alabama) makes it too far to travel for most fans. Shreveport would be cool. Its about a 4 hour radius for probably 7 or 8 schools.

I think that is what needs to be considered. Having the game where the location hits the most schools/alumni. B. Alabama is to far East for the West schools and Houston/Dallas is too far West for the East schools.

I understand what you are saying I was making reference to it being in Houston. My preference would be Shreveport. But if it had to be in Texas, Dallas would be my choice.

Let it rest guys.

I think the reference is to baseball/softball. I wouldn't be surprised if track and other "spring" sports isn't included in that pkg as well (H-town does have ALL of the facilities; the question is will they all be available due to the # of high schools and other colleges/univs in the area?).

What is it now Minute Maid park me thinks? :confused: Retractable roof, blah blah blah.

But, while we're on the subject of SCG for football, it would be nice to see it moved from city to city and see how it performs (attendance).

Carry on.

Originally posted by Panthro
Let it rest guys.

I think the reference is to baseball/softball. I wouldn't be surprised if track and other "spring" sports isn't included in that pkg as well (H-town does have ALL of the facilities; the question is will they all be available due to the # of high schools and other colleges/univs in the area?).

What is it now Minute Maid park me thinks? :confused: Retractable roof, blah blah blah.

But, while we're on the subject of SCG for football, it would be nice to see it moved from city to city and see how it performs (attendance).

Carry on.

I hate the idea of playing the baseball championships in Minute Maid. It is too big (stadium not field) for college baseball. Reckling Park (Rice) would be much better.

The SWAC would be stupid to move baseball to MM park when Baseball just had it most sucessful tourny ever in Baton Rouge.:confused:

the press conference is Friday...we'll find out../.

Reckling Park? LOL...Rice does not rent that out..UH is the only available field collegiately and they won't open it up because we play our championships too early.

don't worry...your in good hands after the announcement

nope...their flying and you know what that means

as for the basketball rivalry, we are about to take it to another level

I think some of you are forgetting one very important factor when determining where the SCG should be held. While it sounds good to have the SCG held in Shreveport or Jackson, you have to ask the question how bad do the cities of Shreveport and Jackson what to have the SCG? What are they going to give us (the SWAC ) to bring the game there.

When you consider the amount of money the City of Houston had to put up in getting Reliant Stadium built, they are going to do whatever possible to pimp that stadium for every dollar they can get. They came up with a hard to beat offer when they lobbied for the Bayou Classic. They were very serious about have the game played there. It wasn?t until that happened that the City of N.O. decided to get off its ass to put a decent package together to keep the BC in New Orleans.

I wouldn?t be surprised at all if in the next few years the Big 12 Championship game will be played there when the contract with Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City) is up. They already managed to get the Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back