A&T to play Wake Forest this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

bornthrilla

Proud ***** of JSU
Wake Forest Makes Change To 2004 Football Schedule
Air Force game is postponed to 2008; North Carolina A&T fills the Sept. 18 date

Feb. 17, 2004

Wake Forest modified its 2004 football schedule today by postponing a home game with the Air Force Academy and adding a home game with North Carolina A&T, Demon Deacon athletic director Ron Wellman announced this afternoon.

Wake Forest and North Carolina A&T will meet on the gridiron for the first time ever in the Deacons' home opener Sept. 18 at Groves Stadium. Wake Forest will be the first full-fledged Division I-A school to ever play A&T, a rising I-AA program.

"We are extremely excited to be playing a school so close to us," Wellman said of A&T, which is located less than 30 miles from Winston-Salem. "Wake Forest and North Carolina A&T have met numerous times in other sports and we enjoy our relationship with them. They have an outstanding program and it should be a great game."

Air Force requested that its game at Wake Forest be postponed so that the Falcons could play an additional home game this fall. The game has been moved to the 2008 season.

North Carolina A&T finished the 2003 season 10-3 overall and the Aggies finished first in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference with a 7-1 mark under first-year coach George Small. The Aggies advanced to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs, where they lost in the first round at Wofford.

North Carolina A&T's athletic director is Charlie Davis, a Wake Forest graduate and a former basketball All-American and ACC Player of the Year.

The A&T game will be Wake Forest's home opener and its third game overall. The Deacons open the season Sept. 4 at Clemson, then play at East Carolina Sept. 11.

Wake Forest finished the 2003 season 5-7 overall -- one victory short of being bowl-eligible for the third straight season -- and 3-5 in the ACC. The Deacons will return 17 of 24 starters and 44 total letterwinners this fall.

Nice...Very Nice!

If it wasn't for this dayum 9 game mandate...we could have played Hawaii, San Jose State or SMU. But thats another subject!

Nice move A&T!

The article in the local paper said we are suppossed to get six figures. I wouldn't expect more than 100 K.

We are extremely excited to be playing a school so close to us," Wellman said of A&T, which is located less than 30 miles from Winston-Salem.

This will be a home game for us. We will bring 20,000 to Winston.

Originally posted by bornthrilla
This will be a home game for us. We will bring 20,000 to Winston.

Don't count on it. USM's stadium holds 33K and JSU could have filled that up on our own but they only alloted us so many tickets. They also raised the ticket price for the JSU game. If you all get 5000 tickets, you will be lucky.

A&T has historic date with Deacons

2-18-04

By Jeff Carlton and Bill Hass Staff Writers
News & Record

Charlie Davis wanted a Division I-A football team on N.C. A&T's schedule within his first three years as the school's athletics director.

His alma mater, Wake Forest, saw an opportunity to market itself in the Triad.

http://www.news-record.com/sports/c...atfb_021804.htm

Thrilla

You better be glad that Vowels aint the MEAC commissioner. You would be stuck playing Elon and NCCU for the rest of your life.
But we cant say that around these parts.

Leave the SWAC (partially) and become a football-only independent. Since GSU and SU call all the shots with the BC and the SCG you should try to call some too.

It's not like you are going to the playoffs as it is and we both know the SCG is not putting any money in your pocket.

Get Ready,

Thrilla

You better be glad that Vowels aint the MEAC commissioner. You would be stuck playing Elon and NCCU for the rest of your life.
But we cant say that around these parts.

Pssssss!!! North Carolina A & T State University does play North Carolina Central University and Elon University.

:)

Originally posted by bornthrilla

we both know the SCG is not putting any money in your pocket.

And neither is going to the 1AA playoffs!

So whats your point?

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Get Ready,

Pssssss!!! North Carolina A & T State University does play North Carolina Central University and Elon University.

:)

But if they were in the SWAC, those are the only two teams they would play for while.

For example, I know every school JSU is going to play for the next 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 (with the exception of one game if we play a 12th). So Culberson does not have to contact anyone about a date until he wants to fill the 2008 date and if he has called USM already.....oh well.

Originally posted by Fiyah
And neither is going to the 1AA playoffs!

So whats your point?

Thrilla, I could actually care less about the playoffs. I just want a flexible schedule....last year we, had a great non-conference schedule

Southern
NCA&T
FAMU
TNState
NW State

With a schedule like that, I could live without playing SU. This, this is our non-conference schedule

Prairie View
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
NW State
TNState

:bawling:

Like I say, JSu should go independent in football only.

Pick the four of five SWAC teams you have your strongest rivalries with, then pick up a FAMU, A&T (sike, we have already beaten you scrubs enough) Tenn State, Southland conference team and a maybe a couple of 1-A teams. Find out what your fans want to see and then give it to them. Every one else is just looking out for themselves so JSu should too. JSu fans have already stated that they don't care much about the SCG so missing that would be no big deal. Plus, you already said you hated your conference leadership so you probably wouldn't be doing any worst by yourself.

With no pun intended, how can one care about a game when they are not able to make it there?

Originally posted by JROCK
With no pun intended, how can one care about a game when they are not able to make it there?

Uuuh, it ain't like you been there every year. :confused:

Thrilla, it is not that easy. If we left the SWAC, I would not be surprised if the conference teams were mandated not to play us. If we left, there would be no SCG and we would have to pay the price for that. A lot of things do depend heavily on SU and Gram but JSU and Alcorn can make some things happen as well. I don't think that this new SWAC mandate is going last more than two years anyway especially if Gram gets a pro-active coach. Pete is gonna want it changed as soon as a flop like what happened in the Heritage Bowl against Hampton occurs. What would SU have had to prove if they had gone 9-0 in conference play and STILL had to play a SCG game. How would it look then if all of that hard work was for nothing if they got to Bham and lost??? This won't last. Right always wins over wrong.

Originally posted by JROCK

Now that's a very valid question. However, I think it's that last part of the question, they are not able to make it there? that's the real issue, and not their like or dislike of the game itself.

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
Now that's a very valid question. However, I think it's that last part of the question, they are not able to make it there? that's the real issue, and not their like or dislike of the game itself.

Dude, you are talking bout the team who has made more post-season appearances than every other SWAC school combined. I don't think that any of us have a problem with the SCG...hell we are the reason that is it making it today....we made it work.

..and don't worry, when JSU gets back, we are staying there. Then you gonna be crying foul. With Doug gone, this is about to turn into another SU-JSU Bowl. That is why the game was created anyway....not for you BAMA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back