2024 SWAC Basketball Tournament

Any speculation as to where they may land? Play in game?

My picks for our First Four Match Up:

1. Montana State (17-17)
2. Wagner (16-15)
3. Saint Peters (19-13)

Howard is (18-16), but they will never put on a #16 HBCU vs #16 HBCU Match Up again. The G-Men can beat any of the above teams.

Last edited:
TxSU is heck of a team. The injury to PJ hurt he has been a Grambling killer. Shout out to my Tigers for winning the SWAC tournament. We were 0-28 in 2012 - 2013 I watched every game. This tournament means a lot to the GramFam and a lot to me.

Yes lawd! That 0-28 mess was painful along with the 25 Seasons of winning 0-12 Games since 1990! Those tears shed from the GSU fans were real as F!!! 😂

I love Southern Baseball when they aren’t playing Grambling, and I love sTu Men’s Basketball the same. Our boys pulled it off last night because we finally played in the tournament with a chip on our shoulders. Very proud of the G-Men.

Now, it’s time to win our First Four Match Up and make the SWAC Conference Fans proud. We can say what we want about the SWAC, but they way we pull for our Conference Champion in the Big Dance is second to none. Finally, we get our chance to hold the SWAC Flag in the Tournament. Our boys need to make the most of it.

My picks for our First Four Match Up:

1. Montana State (17-17)
2. Wagner (16-15)
3. Saint Peters (19-13)

Howard is (18-16), but they will never put on a #16 HBCU vs #16 HBCU Match Up. It will never happen. The G-Men can beat any of the above teams.
I hope it isn't Howard. I see that TSU beat NC Central a few years back( 2018) .Must have been a lot of criticism for the NCAA pitting 2 HBCU'S in the 1st Four. An extra National television game for Gram ( and SWAC) if you can actually get that W .

Yes lawd! That 0-28 mess was painful along with the 25 Seasons of winning 0-12 Games since 1990! Those tears shed from the GSU fans were real as F!!! 😂

I love Southern Baseball when they aren’t playing Grambling, and I love sTu Men’s Basketball the same. Our boys pulled it off last night because we finally played in the tournament with a chip on our shoulders. Very proud of the G-Men.

Now, it’s time to win our First Four Match Up and make the SWAC Conference Fans proud. We can say what we want about the SWAC, but they way we pull for our Conference Champion in the Big Dance is second to none. Finally, we get our chance to hold the SWAC Flag in the Tournament. Our boys need to make the most of
Jackson is a very good coach. He developed an excellent game plan and the players bought in and executed it.

What? TSU didn't win? He'll I take swac tournament games for granted. Well whatever, we'll be back next year. 🤷🏾

Who ever won don't get too comfortable on tsu's throne.

Any speculation as to where they may land? Play in game?
Play in game.

You can't justify not including them in that based on the fact they did not beat a non SWAC D1 team and all but one those losses were blowouts.

It's probably going to be Wagner.

That not winning D1 games in non-conference is going to come back to haunt Grambling.

That would be the MAIN thing I would fix for next year.

I hope it isn't Howard. I see that TSU beat NC Central a few years back( 2018) .Must have been a lot of criticism for the NCAA pitting 2 HBCU'S in the 1st Four. An extra National television game for Gram ( and SWAC) if you can actually get that W .

Yes it was. The whole “two HBCU’s fighting to make the tournament” wasn’t a look that many folks wanted to see. A chance for two HBCU’s earning an official NCAA Tournament win and advancing past the First Four was possible in that tournament. Especially when most experts predicted #16 LIU (18-16) to meet #16 sTu instead. And picked #16 NCCU (19-17) to face #16 Radford (22-12).

Anyway, the criticism was on, and I don’t see it happening again unless we “beg” for a HBCU First Four Eliminator. (And I have heard some of us utter foolishness in the past after watching our teams get creamed in the ”first round vs the #1 only” days.)

Play in game.

You can't justify not including them in that based on the fact they did not beat a non SWAC D1 team and all but one those losses were blowouts.

It's probably going to be Wagner.

That not winning D1 games in non-conference is going to come back to haunt Grambling.

That would be the MAIN thing I would fix for next year.

I am hoping it’s Wagner! But my gut feeling is saying Montana State.

The tournament is moving to Atlanta next year.

Why do they think that Atlanta is the mecca for the Swac?
They are moving further and further away from the fan bases of the schools in the conference to try and reach what and who?

That's why I always ask folks who say officiating is horrible, EXACTLY what is horrible. It usually comes back to folks don't REALLY know the rules. FYI, a SWAC official was one of the officials in the National Championship Game last year, and the Final Four the year before that. Just saw a SWAC official on the floor for the Big East tourney final, and another in the SEC semi-final. There is a former SWAC official in the NBA. So all this "horrible" talk has to come with some specifics...lol...BTW, the tall ref (I believe it's Lucas Santos) has been in the SWAC for a couple of years.

They say it's horrible because there is no consistency in the calls. It'll change from half to half. Yes some officials have moved up from the Swac to bigger conferences but that's just like coaches moving up. We have more pour officials than great officials in the conference. In a 18 game season, you shouldn't see the same officials more than 3 times but most of the time you see the same ones at least 5-6 times.

Congrats to Grambling. 1st NCAA bid ever ... damn shame it took this long. I knew early this would be a tough one for us to overcome but we still hold the most SWAC Tourney Championships and I have faith we will be back next year.

Jackson State women I expect to win in the first round so yeah congrats to ya'll and put on for the SWAC. I also don't see Tomeika coming back so be nice to her while ya'll got her

In a 18 game season, you shouldn't see the same officials more than 3 times but most of the time you see the same ones at least 5-6 times.

This is true. And I know if I see 2 of them, Valley is gonna get worked over

As someone said, no consistency whatsoever

At the table, a few years ago we said them not being consistent would lead to a fight against JSU and that's exactly what happened. And they still screwed that suspending 3 players from Valley but only 1 from JSU (and it wasn't the one who started it all smh)

They say it's horrible because there is no consistency in the calls. It'll change from half to half. Yes some officials have moved up from the Swac to bigger conferences but that's just like coaches moving up. We have more pour officials than great officials in the conference. In a 18 game season, you shouldn't see the same officials more than 3 times but most of the time you see the same ones at least 5-6 times.
I would imagine geographics have something to do with scheduling, along with working around officials' schedules in other conferences. And that comparison to coaches moving up isn't really a good one. Not many SWAC coaches have truly taken the proverbial "next step" in their careers.

As for consistency, again, I disagree. Officials try to manage the game. If the gameplay dictates that whistles need to be blown, they blow the whistles. I still stand by what I say. Most of these complaints are from people who don't TRULY have an understanding of the rulebook, and just know them at the most basic, streetball levels.

Back