2024 SWAC Basketball Tournament

As a TSU grad, last night I actually payed attention to AAMU basketball. We won!!! But respect for the Bulldogs program grew. The refs kind of favored us maybe because of tradition. But oh a win, is a win, is a win.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Great crowd at both Jackson/PB and TSU/AAMU games last night.

SN: we need to move the tournament to New Orleans (Tulane). It ain’t shat to do out here in Bham. Nightlife is ssa!

How the defense player get elbowed in the face…. Refs calls offensive foul… go the monitor to review it for intentional flagrant….come out of the monitor and change it to a defense foul and the offensive teams shoots 2 free throws. The player walking around holding his eye got the foul called on him. YOU CANT MAKE THIS STUFF UP. I dont say refs cheat for a team… I just say the referees last night were horrible and everybody who was there saw it.

How the defense player get elbowed in the face…. Refs calls offensive foul… go the monitor to review it for intentional flagrant….come out of the monitor and change it to a defense foul and the offensive teams shoots 2 free throws. The player walking around holding his eye got the foul called on him. YOU CANT MAKE THIS STUFF UP. I dont say refs cheat for a team… I just say the referees last night were horrible and everybody who was there saw it.
There has to be a rule because they looked at and came back with that ruling. I was hoping they would not throw our player out of the game.

The refs were horrible last night… I was sitting behind the tsu bench peeped how both coaches were on the refs all night.

Not sure if y’all noticed a lot of the basketball references from the SWAC last year moved up to bigger conferences this year. I’ve seen some of our refs in the SEC, Big 12, and AAC. That was the first time I saw the tall head ref last night all season in the SWAC. I watched him call a Rice V Tulsa game this year. Last night the refs were terrible, but I think they were told to let them play.

How did TSU win last night? We were dog tired from playing the night before. Maybe our best player barely played the 2nd half due to injury, both bigs in foul trouble, both fouls out within a minute of each other, about 5 minutes left in the game when they fouled out.

I was really impressed with number 4 and 22 for AAMU. Number 4 is a severe problem for any team on defense. His intensity is relentless! In addition, he commands the offense with great awareness. Number 22 is a flat out scorer and deserved to have more opportunities with the ball in his hand. I really like the progress of the basketball program. I think last night was a learning lesson on how to play for the entire game. That press that TSU applied with the game on the line was a game changer. I think the score was like 65-65 with close to a minute remaining. Got to give props for TSU for that adjustment. It really caught us off guard. Can't wait to next season!

If the game wasn't at 8:30 tonight I would go. Driving back up that road at night alone is rough
How far is the drive? I think I heard 1.5 hrs. That’s like driving from one side of Houston to the other. At least watch it on tv like me. The conference can use the ratings.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The championship game move to night somewhat helps the 8:30 game teams as in previous years you had to be ready at 12 pm

If they just play the women's games in the afternoon and men at night it'll eliminate the odd timing

I was really impressed with number 4 and 22 for AAMU. Number 4 is a severe problem for any team on defense. His intensity is relentless! In addition, he commands the offense with great awareness. Number 22 is a flat out scorer and deserved to have more opportunities with the ball in his hand. I really like the progress of the basketball program. I think last night was a learning lesson on how to play for the entire game. That press that TSU applied with the game on the line was a game changer. I think the score was like 65-65 with close to a minute remaining. Got to give props for TSU for that adjustment. It really caught us off guard. Can't wait to next season!

I HATE to put it this way but losing our leading scorer to injury last month MADE players who were barely getting minutes PLAY. I saw things from players at a the end of the season that made me say “damn he can do that”. When you lose 16 ppg …. Somebody else had to step up… and we saw that. IF we can keep everybody… this group could be special. I still think we have the best big man in the league and he is only a freshman. I wouldn’t be surprised if he hits the portal though. It’s just the way college basketball is these days.

The refs were horrible last night… I was sitting behind the tsu bench peeped how both coaches were on the refs all night.
Hughly was doing his share of beefing with the refs. I was watching on TV. The cameras were indiscriminate in showing coach and ref interaction.

I as well as a lot of other people sat right behind the scorer table and could see the same footage as the referees. The TSU player elbow never made contact and he was protecting the ball as most everyone is taught since pee wee basketball. It was a flop and it was the correct call.

I HATE to put it this way but losing our leading scorer to injury last month MADE players who were barely getting minutes PLAY. I saw things from players at a the end of the season that made me say “damn he can do that”. When you lose 16 ppg …. Somebody else had to step up… and we saw that. IF we can keep everybody… this group could be special. I still think we have the best big man in the league and he is only a freshman. I wouldn’t be surprised if he hits the portal though. It’s just the way college basketball is these days.
Chad stepped his game up near the end of the season. He was playing timid the first half of the season. If he comes back next year he could turn out to be a beast too

Last edited:
I as well as a lot of other people sat right behind the scorer table and could see the same footage as the referees. The TSU player elbow never made contact and he was protecting the ball as most everyone is taught since pee wee basketball. It was a flop and it was the correct call.
The first flop is only a warning not a foul

Back