2015 SWAC/MEAC vs FBS Upset Chances?

1) Manny Diaz played a huge role in getting their defense up to that level. He went back to Mississippi State, so don't expect them to be as strong on defense.

2) Skip Holtz is very suspect as a coach.

3)Illinois was a garbage team. A lot of decent mid-major programs would have beat them too. Just look at how the MAC has taken it to those lower-quality Big 10 teams through the years.

They'll make a bowl game and probably will win the C-USA, but they are no Boise State due to the aforementioned reasons. Now on paper, yes they probably are a high quality G5 team with Boise State-like ability, but I don't know if they have the coaching to get them to that level with Manny Diaz gone.

Absolutely great views. I approve this message!

Yea same thing my dad said about him holding back because of that injury. Also JSU tradition is rich enough that a good player can start for us. Just because he's good doesn't mean he should have been on the other teams side. Imo Jsu football tradition is muuuuch richer than Tulane. I know you probably didn't mean anything by that but I couldn't hold back. Comments like those are why hbcu's are struggling to attract talent as we speak.

No offense taken, but I meant it as far as him looking better than Nick Montana,(Tulane's QB), on that day. Montana led Tulane to there first bowl appearance in ten years that season and Ivy looked much better than him in week 1. My implication was the fact that he looked like a FBS starter as a raw true freshman, therefore I loved what I saw on that day.

Anyway, I seriously believe the broken leg could very well be a mental weight in his mind.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Again IVY played with a Horrid Offensive Line last year. But I digress. This Thread is not about that. I am a homer and I will be in Murphreesboro cheering JSU on but this will be a toughhhhhh game for us. Just want to compete and have a chance in the 4th.

That doesn't mean they look like a P5 team. They'll be a decent team, but far from good P5 quality.

Oh hell no, I've never thought of them as that. Even with their best of teams they looked like a top notch FCS against a top mid-major.

Oh hell no, I've never thought of them as that. Even with their best of teams they looked like a top notch FCS against a top mid-major.

I sure felt like I was at a SEC game in 2008 when I went to see them play MSU. This was one of their best teams of the decade.

Why?

What was so special about that game?

It just didn't feel like your typical non P5 atmosphere. It felt like I was in Oxford for an Ole Miss game instead Ruston. LOL.

Anyway, I hope the Jags play well, but the La Tech folks I know are talking like they are in for an exciting time with the band, and a TD festival. They truly believe that they had a shot at cracking the top 15 and getting a major bowl game after proving they could beat a P5 team last season. As you know, that's usually how it starts. Once BCS busters Boise State, TCU, Hawaii and Northern Illinois proved that they could beat a P5 school they season prior to their dream seasons or early during the season, all got there chances to prove themselves in a major bowl. La Tech folks believe they are ready for their close up. We shall see.

It just didn't feel like your typical non P5 atmosphere. It felt like I was in Oxford for an Ole Miss game instead Ruston. LOL.

Anyway, I hope the Jags play well, but the La Tech folks I know are talking like they are in for an exciting time with the band, and a TD festival. They truly believe that they had a shot at cracking the top 15 and getting a major bowl game after proving they could beat a P5 team last season. As you know, that's usually how it starts. Once BCS busters Boise State, TCU, Hawaii and Northern Illinois proved that they could beat a P5 school they season prior to their dream seasons or early during the season, all got there chances to prove themselves in a major bowl. La Tech folks believe they are ready for their close up. We shall see.

Their schedule doesn't dictate that though.

They're delusional if they think they're coming anywhere near a top 15 ranking. Let's not get carried away with that win, Illinois was all sorts of mediocre. They barely beat a Texas State team that was like 4th best in the Sun Belt. Those other schools beat legitimately good power schools.

Their schedule doesn't dictate that though.

I would say it does. Coming off a bowl win over Illinois, Tech has Kansas State and Mississippi State on their schedule. If they mess around and have a 11-1 or 12-0, (in which I don't see happening), they will be in a major bowl game. In trying to do that, the are going to attempt to rack up a bunch of points to create attention going into the KSU game.

Last season, ULL had the same dream.

Like someone mentioned earlier Manny Diaz had a lot to do with how their defense played he is gone and I don't see them having the same success. They do have their secondary coming back and linebackers but I just don't see it...Tech going 12-0? C'mon dude...Tech will try to put up points against SU, the transfer QB from Florida, (Driskell) is gonna try to prove himself to world that he's not a bust after losing his job at UF...

Oh and basebone, kill that shit about us upsetting Cal, that shit ain't happening. I don't care how sorry their secondary is. against the P5's it comes down to the trenches and we just don't have it. I'm hoping it don't get TOO ugly and we come back home with no injuries... And we still have #6 DB sorry ass back for another year.

I would say it does. Coming off a bowl win over Illinois, Tech has Kansas State and Mississippi State on their schedule. If they mess around and have a 11-1 or 12-0, (in which I don't see happening), they will be in a major bowl game. In trying to do that, the are going to attempt to rack up a bunch of points to create attention going into the KSU game.

Last season, ULL had the same dream.

Like I said "Their schedule doesn't dictate that"

Southern U. can cause LT problems if the running game is working and we put some long sustain drives together eating up the clock. The key is to keep the ball away from LT offense as much as possible. LT took a few hits on the DL and loss all of their starters at LB. The penalties have to also be kept at a minimum. This game becomes a problem for S.U. if we are playing from behind and have to abandon the running game and become predictable in having to constantly pass.

Our defense will need to figure out a way to stop LT rushing attack as they will be tested early and often. I believe the running game is the strength of their offense. It will be a long day if S.U. allows them to take control of the game on the ground.

LT had issues at punting last year and this may be an area that S.U. can exploit.....

I think JSU's game plan is to start Jarin for the Middle Tenn St and Ivy against TNSU and a Toss for SU game, that way we leave yall wondering !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats the game plan

Like someone mentioned earlier Manny Diaz had a lot to do with how their defense played he is gone and I don't see them having the same success. They do have their secondary coming back and linebackers but I just don't see it...Tech going 12-0? C'mon dude...Tech will try to put up points against SU, the transfer QB from Florida, (Driskell) is gonna try to prove himself to world that he's not a bust after losing his job at UF...

Oh and basebone, kill that shit about us upsetting Cal, that shit ain't happening. I don't care how sorry their secondary is. against the P5's it comes down to the trenches and we just don't have it. I'm hoping it don't get TOO ugly and we come back home with no injuries... And we still have #6 DB sorry ass back for another year.
Speaking of Tech, isn't Cal's coach a former La Tech coach? I think Cal will win the game by 4-5 TDs.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

Yeah it will take a near flawless game from us to hang with Tech. Also if our defense can get any sort of pressure on Driskel, he will make mistakes. That being said, I see us losing by 3-4 TDs (45-24) unless we come out playing top notch defense and smart on offense. If, and I mean a big if, we can get Tillery and Crockett rolling and control the clock and capitalize off of good position from our Special Teams returners, we might be able to keep it closer. If Driskel relives his Florida days and becomes a turnover machine, the game will be up for grabs.

I will say, Driskel had all sorts of time to prove himself at Florida and he fell flat on his face. It took serious injury and an act of Congress from the boosters before Muschamp finally decided to bench him. He was a legit run threat prior to breaking his leg against Tennessee, and had a decent arm. His issue was his mental characteristics. Like when you needed him to make the big play, he would usually fumble the ball, throw an interception, or miss a wide-open receiver. I'm sure he is capable of putting up big numbers against the CUSA teams, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be just slightly average.

Last edited:
Grambling will face a very potent passing offense in Cal State. I believe they also have a 1000 yard rusher returning. I'm guessing Gram will have major problems stopping Cal State's offense. I believe the key in this game is whether Cal State defense can excel against Grambling's offense. My guess is they will keep Gram's offense in check and this will end up being a blow out.....

Grambling will face a very potent passing offense in Cal State. I believe they also have a 1000 yard rusher returning. I'm guessing Gram will have major problems stopping Cal State's offense. I believe the key in this game is whether Cal State defense can excel against Grambling's offense. My guess is they will keep Gram's offense in check and this will end up being a blow out.....

Yep and their QB is one of the top in the Pac-12.

But you dont have any footage on Jarin but you have plenty on IVY lol
Jarin is being prepared as a string backup right now. Honestly there given IVY a small edge only because they lacked the depth in Oline last year that would have helped him POSSIBLY make better decisions. So yes IVY is there guy RIGHT NOW, but JM is very competitive due to him already knowing this type offense. If anything this could be like Kent first year where he didn't start the first game but after the starting QB was pulled in the TnSU game and they put Kent in and Kent never looked back and that's how I feel Ivy and Jarin situation will be this year.

Back