2015 SWAC/MEAC vs FBS Upset Chances?

MS state didn't schedule us with therriault either and after bridge schooled their defense, they didn't schedule alcorn for a minute either
Believe me ,these schools do their research before they schedule you in football and basketball. Schools like USM do not want to see the top four or five teams in the SWAC right now. USM got away with murder last year and will not look our way for a while.

If Alcorn can score points against Tech and make a couple of stops ... they could apply a little pressure on the Rambling Wreck.

Southern, offensively, can score on LaTech. We just have too may questions defensively, IMO...

However, ALL OF US HAVE TO PLAY CLEAN IF WE STAND A CHANCE TO KEEP IT CLOSE! NO STUPID, DRIVE-KILLING PENALTIES. NO SILLY TURNOVERS.

If Alcorn can score points against Tech and make a couple of stops ... they could apply a little pressure on the Rambling Wreck.

Southern, offensively, can score on LaTech. We just have too may questions defensively, IMO...

However, ALL OF US HAVE TO PLAY CLEAN IF WE STAND A CHANCE TO KEEP IT CLOSE! NO STUPID, DRIVE-KILLING PENALTIES. NO SILLY TURNOVERS.
And hope the refs don't screw you either, because ULL benefited from quite a few BS calls last season.

Cincy vs A&M

I just hope we score a few times....that Gunner Kiel at QB will be throwing TDs until they take him out

You're right man. Alcorn had that ass last year but I knew in my heart the refs would find a way to take it from them. I'm Jsu all day but I was purple and gold that day lol. For once I wanted to see one of the so called big 3 get upset in Miss.
No disrespect to you but ( big 3 my azz ) if Mississippi wasn't so damn racial JSU would have been passed USM. Hell we Almost there now and without State Support. Just had to comment on that lol but I also supported Alcorn that 1 day .

No disrespect to you but ( big 3 my azz ) if Mississippi wasn't so damn racial JSU would have been passed USM. Hell we Almost there now and without State Support. Just had to comment on that lol but I also supported Alcorn that 1 day .
I feel you on that man lol. That's why I said so called big 3!

I called a 7 point lost in that game . I knew Alcorn could give them hell, but those refs were horrible. Alcorn should have won that game.

Cincy vs A&M

I just hope we score a few times....that Gunner Kiel at QB will be throwing TDs until they take him out

Yeah. They are going to pub the crap out of Gunner Kiel and try to hang 60 as they return all of their receivers from last season. They have 6 receivers who caught more the 30 passes last season. One of those receivers is a 6'6 mismatch for any small CB who wants to check him.

On the flip side, their defensive sucked
last season and played poorly against teams that had a mobile QB or running game. Spady might try to manage the clock to keep the score down, but Cincy wants to shine on TV like they usually do to start out the season.

As some of you know, I am obsessed with seeing the day when any SWAC team pulls off an upset against a FBS opponent in this era. I have watched the MEAC pull it off with Bethune-Cookman over FIU twice, but I sure would like to see more. I know that we will always have a long shot at winning a FBS game, but so often, we watch our kids get of the bus or plane terrified before the opening kickoff. This season, I don't see anyone pulling off an upset, but there are a few games that caught my eye.

1. North Carolina vs North Carolina A&T

(UNC will be tough for A&T to deal with in the trenches, but their defense was not good last season. They also will have some question at the QB position as their projected starter was out for the spring with an injury. Rod Broadway will be returning home to Chapel Hill and will play ball control football. I can see this game being much close than most experts think.)
My Prediction: UNC 28 NCAT 14
Upset: UNC 21 NCAT 24

2. Miami vs Bethune-Cookman

(Any instate match up is always fun to watch. Bethune-Cookman has proven in the past that they aren't scared to fight the big boys. The have come to Miami and beaten FIU twice in a row and played Miami pretty tough in their last meeting. Yes, Miami is no FIU, but they aren't the U anymore as well. Bethune-Cookman will be going through some new staff blues and position changes this season as well.)
My Prediction: Miami 38 BC 14

Upset: Miami 24 BC 27

3. MTSU vs Jackson State

(JSU has the size to make this a tougher game than most expect, but do they have the coaching staff capable of keeping them in the game? Ivy proved as a freshman proved that he isn't scared of FBS schools as he moved the ball extremely well vs.Tulane, (who would later have one of the best defenses in C-USA that season). MTSU's run defense was terrible last season, but they have plenty of guys returning that have 2 years of starting experience. I expect MTSU to be bowl eligible this season, but JSU really matches up better than most think in the trenches.)
My Prediction: MTSU 35 JSU 17
Upset: MTSU 20 JSU 27

4. Appalachian State vs Howard

(Apps State is in their second year of the FBS ranks. The former FCS powerhouse struggled early last season started out 1-5, but they went on a 6 game winning streak to finish 7-5. They are expected to deal with some transition woes this season again, but they have momentum. Although Howard went 5-7 last season, the Bison went to war with Rutgers in a 38-25 loss and outgained them as well. In 2013, Howard lost to Eastern Michigan 34-24. Howard has a very tough coaching staff who plays to win and won't be on the sidelines just for a check. Apps State isn't really a FBS team on paper as far as their size goes, but they return 10 starters on both sides of the ball that will make things tough for Howard.)
My Prediction: Apps St 49 Howard 24
Upset: Apps St 23 Howard 24

5. California vs Grambling State

(If California's secondary is anything close to what they were last season, then the G-Men could very well put up some points on the scoreboard. If GSU' secondary is anything close to what it was last season, then Cal might put up 50+ points. This could be a fun game to watch as both had the same issues in 2014, but the G-Men must establish some type of running game to keep that clock rolling.)
My Prediction: Cal 55 GSU 28
Upset: Cal 27 GSU 28

What other match up catches your eye?

Louisiana Tech vs Southern
Cincinnati vs Alabama A&M
Geogria Tech vs Alcorn
New Mexico vs Mississippi Valley
Rutgers vs Norfolk State
Air Force vs Morgan State
Colorado State vs Savannhah State
Old Dominion vs Norfolk State
Kent State vs Delaware State
Duke vs North Carolina Central
Boston College vs Howard
Texas State vs PVAMU
Georgia vs Southern
Akron vs Savannah State
FIU vs North Carolina Central
Marshall vs Norfolk State

Great breakdown Basebone. I don't see any upsets either, but Jackson State could make some noise vs Middle Tennessee. JSU actually has some experienced big men who can play. If the Tigers don't come out scared like most SWAC schools do against non conference teams, they might can hang in with MTSU. I know you question their coaching staff, but I can't see the old man not coming to win this game. If he was to pull off this big time upset, I am pretty sure folks would start to respect him.

North Carolina A&T has a great coach in Rod Broadway. They way he turned around A&T is amazing. They should win the MEAC this season, and should play the Tar Heels pretty tough if not pull off an upset. Rod Broadway's teams usually don't start getting beaten by FBS schools until the 4th quarter, and he usually is breaking in new quarterbacks in the process. Broadway's extra conservative coaching style can allow them to keep things close for a long time. What way to show his alma mater that he can win in Chapel Hill by giving North Carolina all they can handle.

California's and Grambling's teams are mirrors. They had and might have the same problems on offensive and defense. Being that it's the first game, both sides will be trying to show that their secondary's don't suck like they did last season. Both teams will be trying to send a message to their fans in this game as well. I don't see GSU being able to hang with Sunny Dykes high flying offensive scheme for 4 quarters as the depth chart might be problems for GSU in a fast pace game. If Grambling State's coaching staff actually had a running game in their scheme, then this game could be very interesting. GSU just doesn't have the sidelines to go TD for TD with Cal and will get blown away. I do think TCU transfer Cam White is a monster and is good enough to catch some TD passes vs Cal. He has seen better DB's.

Those are the only 3 that have prayers. Southern will not play scared vs Louisiana Tech, but the Bulldogs seem to look like a P5 team at home. I think they are going to rack up plenty of points on the Jaguars in order to get Northern Louisiana excited about Tech Football. I have always been told that whenever Grambling is picked to win the SWAC, ULM and Louisiana Tech both become sluts for attention.

Everyone else on this list is going to be trashed.

Great breakdown Basebone. I don't see any upsets either, but Jackson State could make some noise vs Middle Tennessee. JSU actually has some experienced big men who can play. If the Tigers don't come out scared like most SWAC schools do against non conference teams, they might can hang in with MTSU. I know you question their coaching staff, but I can't see the old man not coming to win this game. If he was to pull off this big time upset, I am pretty sure folks would start to respect him.

North Carolina A&T has a great coach in Rod Broadway. They way he turned around A&T is amazing. They should win the MEAC this season, and should play the Tar Heels pretty tough if not pull off an upset. Rod Broadway's teams usually don't start getting beaten by FBS schools until the 4th quarter, and he usually is breaking in new quarterbacks in the process. Broadway's extra conservative coaching style can allow them to keep things close for a long time. What way to show his alma mater that he can win in Chapel Hill by giving North Carolina all they can handle.

California's and Grambling's teams are mirrors. They had and might have the same problems on offensive and defense. Being that it's the first game, both sides will be trying to show that their secondary's don't suck like they did last season. Both teams will be trying to send a message to their fans in this game as well. I don't see GSU being able to hang with Sunny Dykes high flying offensive scheme for 4 quarters as the depth chart might be problems for GSU in a fast pace game. If Grambling State's coaching staff actually had a running game in their scheme, then this game could be very interesting. GSU just doesn't have the sidelines to go TD for TD with Cal and will get blown away. I do think TCU transfer Cam White is a monster and is good enough to catch some TD passes vs Cal. He has seen better DB's.

Those are the only 3 that have prayers. Southern will not play scared vs Louisiana Tech, but the Bulldogs seem to look like a P5 team at home. I think they are going to rack up plenty of points on the Jaguars in order to get Northern Louisiana excited about Tech Football. I have always been told that whenever Grambling is picked to win the SWAC, ULM and Louisiana Tech both become sluts for attention.

Well said my guy, I feel the same way. I honestly dnt see Jsu not winning this one. I definitely support coach Jackson and his staff.

Well said my guy, I feel the same way. I honestly dnt see Jsu not winning this one. I definitely support coach Jackson and his staff.

Yup, but JSU does have weapons to fight back. What's always been crazy to me is that Jackson State's scores vs FBS schools always look worst that what actually went down on the field. It's like turnovers and new QB woes always hunt JSU vs the big boys. This might be the first time JSU is coming into a FBS game with a returning QB and some star JUCO help. That factor is always the different between a 35-7 lost and a 35-21 loss to FBS teams. It's also a factor in pulling off an upset. Ivy should be ready for the challenge this season. I am rooting for the kid after hearing about his comeback story.

Yup, but JSU does have weapons to fight back. What's always been crazy to me is that Jackson State's scores vs FBS schools always look worst that what actually went down on the field. It's like turnovers and new QB woes always hunt JSU vs the big boys. This might be the first time JSU is coming into a FBS game with a returning QB and some star JUCO help. That factor is always the different between a 35-7 lost and a 35-21 loss to FBS teams. It's also a factor in pulling off an upset. Ivy should be ready for the challenge this season. I am rooting for the kid after hearing about his comeback story.
Honestly I'm not necessarily rooting for IVY he's not a good QB. Having a million yards stats especially if the offensive scheme is passing does not make you a good QB. But what I am rooting for is for the best player to hold the positions. This is about the best chance we've had in a while at an upset and I want to take advantage of that. I really want this Mid tenn game baaad. We has a school and conference need that W.

Didn't LATech lose to Northwestern State at home last year? They look nothing like a P5 team.

Didn't LATech lose to Northwestern State at home last year? They look nothing like a P5 team.

You are right, but La Tech had issues early on last season before turning things around. The ended up being in the top 5 in 5 different defensive categories and they won their last 7 of 9 games with 1 of those losses coming in the C-USA Title Game by 3. They might not look like a P5 team to you, but they beat P5 Illinois 35-18 in a Bowl Game pretty easily.

La Tech's defense also scored 178 points last season.

Honestly I'm not necessarily rooting for IVY he's not a good QB. Having a million yards stats especially if the offensive scheme is passing does not make you a good QB. But what I am rooting for is for the best player to hold the positions. This is about the best chance we've had in a while at an upset and I want to take advantage of that. I really want this Mid tenn game baaad. We has a school and conference need that W.

Hey man, Ivy isn't no joke. Most kids who suffer a seasoning ending injury take another year to get the confidence that need to keep rolling. He has shown big play potential.

You are right, but La Tech had issues early on last season before turning things around. The ended up being in the top 5 in 5 different defensive categories and they won their last 7 of 9 games with 1 of those losses coming in the C-USA Title Game by 3. They might not look like a P5 team to you, but they beat P5 Illinois 35-18 in a Bowl Game pretty easily.

La Tech's defense also scored 178 points last season.

1) Manny Diaz played a huge role in getting their defense up to that level. He went back to Mississippi State, so don't expect them to be as strong on defense.

2) Skip Holtz is very suspect as a coach.

3)Illinois was a garbage team. A lot of decent mid-major programs would have beat them too. Just look at how the MAC has taken it to those lower-quality Big 10 teams through the years.

They'll make a bowl game and probably will win the C-USA, but they are no Boise State due to the aforementioned reasons. Now on paper, yes they probably are a high quality G5 team with Boise State-like ability, but I don't know if they have the coaching to get them to that level with Manny Diaz gone.

Last edited:
Hey man, Ivy isn't no joke. Most kids who suffer a seasoning ending injury take another year to get the confidence that need to keep rolling. He has shown big play potential.
Opinions on Ivy are split. Some feeL the way I feel and some feel how you feel. It's all depending on how you look at it. But I'm not an Ivy fan but I'm a JSU fan so hey whoever can lead us to Atlanta.

Last edited:
Opinions on Ivy are split. Some feeL the way I feel and some feel how you feel. It's all depending on how you look at it. But I'm not an Ivy fan but I'm a JSU fan so hey whoever can lead us to Atlanta.

I always rave about the true freshman Ivy I saw in the Superdome giving Tulane the business before breaking his leg. That boy looked like he should have been starting for Tulane. I just think Ivy is more cautious after the injury and holds back. He still can play in my eyes, but I haven't seen that freshman monster I saw in him since he was carted off the field.

I am also pulling for this kid to have a great season, except for when the G-Men comeback to our apartment in Jackson.

I always rave about the true freshman Ivy I saw in the Superdome giving Tulane the business before breaking his leg. That boy looked like he should have been starting for Tulane. I just think Ivy is more cautious after the injury and holds back. He still can play in my eyes, but I haven't seen that freshman monster I saw in him since he was carted off the field.

I am also pulling for this kid to have a great season, except for when the G-Men comeback to our apartment in Jackson.
Yea same thing my dad said about him holding back because of that injury. Also JSU tradition is rich enough that a good player can start for us. Just because he's good doesn't mean he should have been on the other teams side. Imo Jsu football tradition is muuuuch richer than Tulane. I know you probably didn't mean anything by that but I couldn't hold back. Comments like those are why hbcu's are struggling to attract talent as we speak.

Last edited:
Back