Southern Football Coach Odoms leaves for Norfolk State

Yes, I believe it is proper protocol to ask a university to approach its coach about a hiring opportunity. I don't believe Norfolk State would have made a pitch for Odums without speaking with Banks. I think the 6-year contract was very attractive to Odums as it offered him longevity and security. It also offered him an opportuity to be successful in the MEAC, a conference whose membership has been depleted both in size and competitiveness. The MEAC today is not nearly as competetive as the SWAC. Odums, and I am sure he realized it, would not have lasted another 6 years at Southern.

He got a six year contract....wow...so he would have at least 2 years with ALL HIS recruited players.

He got a six year contract....wow...so he would have at least 2 years with ALL HIS recruited players.
commitment - offering 3 year deals ain't gonna cut it but if they offer more years to another coach that says they didn't want odums anyway as he countered

Bama State only offers 1-2 year deals

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jabbar Juluke will be SU's number 1 Coach of choice if Roman Banks and the SU QB Club and Foundation can woo him back home to the Bluff. If we can get him back on the yard, the recruits will dang'on follow. Juluke is like the Recruit Whisperer and kids listen to him without a doubt.
Not true at all . The Qb club don’t have anything to do with that.

commitment - offering 3 year deals ain't gonna cut it but if they offer more years to another coach that says they didn't want odums anyway as he countered

Bama State only offers 1-2 year deals
Odums would have stayed for 3 years. He has been Hc at SU for 8 years. In Louisiana a HC gets full retirement with 10 years. Not sure Worm realized that.

Last edited:
The only reason SU didn’t win the championship was our previous OC. Ive been saying it over and over. SU finally has a great OC, and Worm , I understand why and I have much respect for him, left a championship team, I saw no one beating SU in the fall. SU was missing 12-13 starters this spring with injuries. If we make the correct hire , it’s going to be scary for y’all in the fall.

Last edited:
Its confirmed
I'm sure there list will be
Jerry Mack
Ed Reed *the prime effect
Ray Lewis *the prime effect
A current swac coach
A former swac coach
for the role of former swac coach I nominate... Reggie Barlow. He's been winning at VA State since he left.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I’m hearing 3 names for the job and they are moving fast for the position. Odums haven’t left the cove bare at all. Juluke, Mickey, Jerry Mack. Now who can realistically leave right now to go to southern. Mack just signed a multi year 400k contract a year. Joseph is making a good amount and Juluke ain’t doing bad either. Jerry Mack if he leaves Tennessee might get blackballed from FBS.

I’m hearing 3 names for the job and they are moving fast for the position. Odums haven’t left the cove bare at all. Juluke, Mickey, Jerry Mack. Now who can realistically leave right now to go to southern. Mack just signed a multi year 400k contract a year. Joseph is making a good amount and Juluke ain’t doing bad either. Jerry Mack if he leaves Tennessee might get blackballed from FBS.
I heard some Jags also want Lionel Washington as the HC. However, whoever they hire won't have a bare cubbard.

Back