The 75th Annual Magic City Classic

For those arriving on Thursday evening, tailgating will already be underway "all night" at Legion Field; a Pep Rally/Party with the two universities is at the Sheraton Hotel; the usual Congressional Black Caucus Party is Thursday night at the W (around the corner from the Sheraton). Yep it is on and poppin at the MCC. If you haven't heard, Ludacris is the parade marshall and he will perform after the game in the stadium "free" as well.
Following the game around 8:30, the ASU and AAMU Alumni National Association are hosting a joint Demin & Diamond Party at the Sheraton. I'm hearing tickets are $25.

I think so. I do know that the game has pretty much been on the last Saturday in October since it started.
I don't know when the MCC started being the last Saturday/weekend in October, but it hasn't always been. I still have my commemorative ticket from the 50th MCC. The game was Nov 2, 1991. (It was cold as L that day/weekend. The attendance was reported at 70,200. That was the year ASU went undefeated. We won MCC 59-13, I think I don't remember if I "somehow" (snicker) got a student ticket for that game, but the price printed on the ticket was only $10.

A few years ago, I bought an old MCC ticket off e-bay. It was for the 1950 game, also in November, featuring the "Alabama State Teachers College Hornets" vs the "Alabama A&M Institute Bulldogs". LOL . Admission to the game was $1.50. I remember researching it, and ASU won that day too. :D

Well our slump Hornet is right on time. Thanks for giving it up when we need honey bees.......

With the money y'all paying your championship coach y'all need to ask for a refund......

We'll worry about that next season if he struggles. Hopefully Spady will be on your sidelines then to witness this also.

I'm looking forward to seeing Spady on your sidelines

I think he will be glad to have Bama State across the field. He can pad his win record for this year and give him bargaining power for a new contract after next year. Bama State and JSU do a good job making sure the A&M coach keeps his.

Reactions: J C
I think he will be glad to have Bama State across the field. He can pad his win record for this year and give him bargaining power for a new contract after next year. Bama State and JSU do a good job making sure the A&M coach keeps his.
He definitely didn't look too happy last time he saw us across the field.

I don't know when the MCC started being the last Saturday/weekend in October, but it hasn't always been. I still have my commemorative ticket from the 50th MCC. The game was Nov 2, 1991. (It was cold as L that day/weekend. The attendance was reported at 70,200. That was the year ASU went undefeated. We won MCC 59-13, I think I don't remember if I "somehow" (snicker) got a student ticket for that game, but the price printed on the ticket was only $10.

A few years ago, I bought an old MCC ticket off e-bay. It was for the 1950 game, also in November, featuring the "Alabama State Teachers College Hornets" vs the "Alabama A&M Institute Bulldogs". LOL . Admission to the game was $1.50. I remember researching it, and ASU won that day too. :D

That's quite a collection you got there Mighty Hornet! As you know I've witnessed most of the MCC games having not miss one since 1969. I vividly remember that 1991 game. My bro-in-law Fromm Denver attended his first and only MCC. I remember him telling me that he had never seen that many black folks in one place.

That's quite a collection you got there Mighty Hornet!
Coming from a historian like you, I appreciate that. I don't remember when (or why lol) I started saving them, but I have the ticket from just about every ASU game (and others, like the first SCG) I've gone to in at least the last 15 years or so. Football and basketball. It's a stroke of luck that I held on to the MCC 50th Anniversary Ticket (I got the Anniversary game program somewhere too). I'm ordering the MCC 75th Anniversary Commemorative Ticket too. Good Lord willing, in 25 years, I will complete the trifecta and get that 100th Anniversary ticket too.

Coming from a historian like you, I appreciate that. I don't remember when (or why lol) I started saving them, but I have the ticket from just about every ASU game (and others, like the first SCG) I've gone to in at least the last 15 years or so. Football and basketball. It's a stroke of luck that I held on to the MCC 50th Anniversary Ticket (I got the Anniversary game program somewhere too). I'm ordering the MCC 75th Anniversary Commemorative Ticket too. Good Lord willing, in 25 years, I will complete the trifecta and get that 100th Anniversary ticket too.
MH, do you have a MCC ticket for this game....

People sleeping on this game, I like the Bentley vs Thomas matchup at RB. Both the teams play different for this game

the RB battle should be good but keep in mind Bentley is only a freshman. It will be interesting to see how he performs in a game of this magnitude since it is his 1st MCC.

I'm just glad he's getting some good experience on the field as a freshman. Many fans up here will tell you we didn't expect for him to have this much success on the field his freshman year. He has shown to be a quick learner who loves the game of football.

Almost forgot about the tailgaiting scene with some of the Bama State, AAMU, & Skegee folk. I keep hearing its a spectacle and really something to behold and Im ready.
The Birmingham TSU allumni chapter may be having a gathering during MCC do you want me to find out for you

Good lookin out!

Tiger1, you are gonna love the MCC. I go every year unless it coincides with Morehouse's homecoming and it does this year, but, I'm skipping homecoming and coming to the Classic ANYWAY...ITS JUST THAT MUCH FUN! Hopefully you get to catch the parade too, one of the best parades EVER...AND IT IS HUGE!  

I hear my homeboy Ludacris is performing after the game at Legion Field so you're gonna get more than usual for this year's classic. Maybe I'll bump in to you. ENJOY!

Back