So how exactly did Hopson turn Alcorn around?

y'all were coming off consecutive SWAC championship game appearances when y'all got such a large increase. It wasn't the students fault Comedy had been run out of town. So in essence, your large increase could be contributed to Comegy.
Stop man bruh. just stop. Our enrollment increased because we had two business minded Presidents back to back. Hopson was a good coach and yall gave him the support he needed. Had valley given Willie Totten more resources, he would have been successful too.

Stop man bruh. just stop. Our enrollment increased because we had two business minded Presidents back to back. Hopson was a good coach and yall gave him the support he needed. Had valley given Willie Totten more resources, he would have been successful too.

To the people (JSU fans) that do not believe a winning program has nothing to do with winning please take a moment to use a little thing I call common sense. We are talking about teens making decisions with the help of their parents. But it's mostly up to the teen. When programs are winning you get more exposure, this exposure places the university in a positive light as to they have things going on on that campus. Teens look at silly lil things like that. Now us grown folks look at it a lil different now, because we are grown. But when you were growing up, did you want to be associated with anything losing? Some of these kids are going to school because their parents make them. Cause we all know college isn't for everyone. So they try to make the most of it and go somewhere they believe is fun.
It's the same reason you bring recruits in to either homecoming or a big rival game. You want them to see just how festive the school can be and just how large the crowd can be. Come on JSU folks, would you have recruits to come see yall when yall played Concordia or when yall have SU in the house?

Yall need to get thi
I refuse to believe white coaches are better at their craft than black coaches. I may be wrong, but Alcorn has one of the lower budgets in the SWAC and was barefoot & broke when Hopson got there.

What did Hopson do to turn Alcorn around so fast under difficult circumstances? Did the administration increase his budget? Fundraising increase?
I refuse to believe this person is still the center of a conversation.

Actually the year that Alcorn's enrollment increased was before the championships. that happened after Brown arrived and started to do things a little different from the past and more networking in the right places. As I said earlier yes it helped but it's not the reason .

Alcorn has a middle of the pack athletic budget in the SWAC (I think it's 7 million at last check. I know it's larger than ours, Grambling and JSU) but they truly backed Hopson like a school should.

The most overlooked factor is that many forget that he was a coach for 20 years (most at the FBS level. only one year at Delta State) so he had connections. Factor in that he also had some political ties in the state and it was just a perfect storm on the Reservation. I am not naive though in thinking that his skin tone didn't play a part in his success (not talking about on the field and the "we play harder for white coaches" mindset) with connections, etc.
It's a fact blacks play harder for white coaches!!

I can only speak for my experience as a job seeker. I have been passed up for so may opportunities knowing I am qualified for over for somebody white that doesn't come close to the experience I can provide. This was done to me by blacks I interviewed with. We have this mentality that white is right and black is whack. Honestly I can't compare what I am going thru to the decision to hire Hobson. But recently I interviewed for this one job I was defiantly qualified for I had experience in both the army and in the civilian sector I blew away the brothas I interviews with yet. I discovered they hired a white convicted felon over a black man that served his country and has proven experience. What added more insult to injury that white man quit that job within two weeks after he got caught stealing. I know what I am saying has absolutely nothing to do with this thread but I am just certain that there were some blacks that wanted that job and were left feeling the way that I don know they were just as qualified for that position and people that look like you saw someone that didn't look like them as more superior. So I can understand the frustration. In the eyes of both blacks and whites we can't get a chance.

I know it doesn't relate to the thread to those who haven't experienced it, but I know what you are saying

There's absolutely no evidence that black kids play with more intensity when the head coach is white. Good coaches teach good fundamentals and the kids play faster because they understand their job.
It all boils down to the competency of the coaching staff. For decades most of the hcbu football programs (with few exceptions ) were burden with inept black coaching staffs. It became obvious that they would never hire anyone who might be a threat to their job. Couple that with the clueless Presidents who hired them and the silly fans who only see wins and losses.
Smart head coaches hire smart assistants. Those that don't are bound to fail.
If what you believe is fact, then SU would never have dominated Nwst in early 90's and GSU would never have beaten Alcorn in back to back years.
There are many young smart black coaches available, we need to hire and support them.

Sad part about it they do. I hate to say it. In high school, we had a white head coach at a black school and the success level and respect level was very high. Once black coaches took over it has been over it has been over 15 years since consecutive winning seasons going thru multiple coaches in that span. Shit real out there. It's sad but it's true. And they teach nothing different than the black coaches.

I think its a byproduct of some of us (especially young, naive people) viewing white men as superior, therefore buying into what they're trying to accomplish with little to no skepticism. This doesnt mean that black coaches cant get kids to buy in...its just easier for whites because whites ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt, while blacks often don't, even often by our own people. Its sad as shit.

I don't subscribe to "they play harder for white coaches," because Broadway, Fobbs & Odums crushed that theory.

The greatest thing Hopson did was hire an offensive mastermind, a stout DC from the D-2 ranks and let them do their thing. In my opinion without Simmons as OC Alcorn would've been a middle-of-the-pack conference team. Hopson didn't touch the offense but had a huge hand in the defense. We (Prairie View) never struggled scoring against Alcorn during Hopson's time there. It was Simmons that did the most damage against us...

2012: 52-37 Prairie View
2013: 50-35 Alcorn
2014: 77-48 Alcorn
2015: 40-34 Prairie View

Black people claiming that black kids will play harder for white coaches

Maybe that isn't true, but I know our Black employees broke their neck for de whiteman and not for us because they felt an aire of familiarity with us being Black, almost like they are doing us a favor even though my wifey signed their paycheck.

We had a billing person drove over 45 miles to get to her job for the white man got their at 630 am and she happily did medical billing for 300 patients at a white owned company. We gave her a job at our office only 5 to 10 minutes from her house billing for our meager 30 patients and when we asked her to do some simple data entry to set up the billing, she sabotaged our billing and quit without a notice. As if that wasn't enough damage, she told one of our key nurses that we were talking about her non working husband and we didn't even know she was married so she also quit without notice leaving us in a real bind. So you can miss me with the thinking it's our imagination that Black people don't work harder for whites, that's just one example of many I have from our 11 years of business. I would be willing to bet in the world of sports it isn't much different. Like I said before, I still think Fobbs made a more impressive turnaround but wasn't afforded the same opportunity.

Maybe that isn't true, but I know our Black employees broke their neck for de whiteman and not for us because they felt an aire of familiarity with us being Black, almost like they are doing us a favor even though my wifey signed their paycheck.

We had a billing person drove over 45 miles to get to her job for the white man got their at 630 am and she happily did medical billing for 300 patients at a white owned company. We gave her a job at our office only 5 to 10 minutes from her house billing for our meager 30 patients and when we asked her to do some simple data entry to set up the billing, she sabotaged our billing and quit without a notice. As if that wasn't enough damage, she told one of our key nurses that we were talking about her non working husband and we didn't even know she was married so she also quit without notice leaving us in a real bind. So you can miss me with the thinking it's our imagination that Black people don't work harder for whites, that's just one example of many I have from our 11 years of business. I would be willing to bet in the world of sports it isn't much different. Like I said before, I still think Fobbs made a more impressive turnaround but wasn't afforded the same opportunity.
Lol. I just got my first taste of this. I will save it for small talk.

The greatest thing Hopson did was hire an offensive mastermind, a stout DC from the D-2 ranks and let them do their thing. In my opinion without Simmons as OC Alcorn would've been a middle-of-the-pack conference team. Hopson didn't touch the offense but had a huge hand in the defense. We (Prairie View) never struggled scoring against Alcorn during Hopson's time there. It was Simmons that did the most damage against us...

2012: 52-37 Prairie View
2013: 50-35 Alcorn
2014: 77-48 Alcorn
2015: 40-34 Prairie View

But Simmons was gone this year and Alcorn finished above the pack. Now I'm not trying to take anything away from what Simmons did. To me he is above and beyond a hell of a play caller but he was gone this year and Alcorn won.

Dr. Brown brought new life to the campus as a whole in all phases. The hiring of Jay Hopson included. You add the energy of Brown, Hopson and one or two others things happened. I know some will have something negative to say, but all you have to do is look back 4 1/2 years and see what was going on at Alcorn period. Hopefully Fred will continue the upward swing in football and to my surprise so far in basketball.

Everyone seemed to love Brown.. most would take him back now... LOL
But you have to also factor in that Alcorn really had not had a President since Bristow died.. and from my understanding, Bristow was not a sports person.

To me, it all boils down to money. Hopson raised some money of his own and spent some of his own money BUT before he accepted the job, the school had to meet some of his demands... for increasing the budget and for more scholarships. When you don't have money, you can't offer scholarships and you can't get good coaches. Look at Comegy. Most of his staff from JSU has left him. He has had to hire people he can afford. He probably has the worst staff he has ever coached with. If they can't pay Comegy but $110K, imagine what the assistants make. Assistants at JSU make close to $100K.

Lol. I just got my first taste of this. I will save it for small talk.

Dude, you have no idea, PM me for tips. Trust me we tried everything, tried Employee recognition programs, spent plenty of money on automation tools, had a nice comfortable office space that was comfortable for the employees in a high rise. Tried doing lessons learned meetings to help make their jobs easier. We even tried employee bonuses we weren't even giving ourselves bonuses and our people still felt the white man money was greener, smh

But Simmons was gone this year and Alcorn finished above the pack. Now I'm not trying to take anything away from what Simmons did. To me he is above and beyond a hell of a play caller but he was gone this year and Alcorn won.

But Alcorn didn't win against Prairie View, where Simmons is coaching ijs

I refuse to believe white coaches are better at their craft than black coaches. I may be wrong, but Alcorn has one of the lower budgets in the SWAC and was barefoot & broke when Hopson got there.

What did Hopson do to turn Alcorn around so fast under difficult circumstances? Did the administration increase his budget? Fundraising increase?

Comegy did the same thing at JSU after the Bell era. Hopson, just happened to be white.

Back