So how exactly did Hopson turn Alcorn around?

Playing within the SWAC is one thing but playing OOC FCS HBCUs, as Alcorn learned the hard way in the Celebration Bowl, is a different thing.

A lot of times it's not about money but Conference Pride and Tradition.

People always ask me why do I keep bringing up Howard. Howard IS NOT and I repeat IS NOT a Football Powerhouse (their stadium is a High School Stadium for Goodness Sake). Yet somehow, even in the 90s, it always baffled me as to why this non-Football Power of the MEAC with a High School Stadium use to give SWAC Teams fits when playing them on the Football Field.

Then I looked at NC A&T under Broadway in the Celebration Bowl. That team actually lost to NCCU but just dominated Alcorn on the Field. True, there were some "outside" factors that gave NC A&T a Possible Headstart, but they dominated Alcorn.

When you are the best team in a Conference, you have a duty to represent your conference in games NOT Required. It should NOT have to come down to the Celebration Bowl for Alcorn to finally man up and play an OOC HBCU. Grambling did it in two years by scheduling Bethune-Cookman and those games for the most part have turned to be epic games. Of course you have SU vs. FAMU, heck even Valley has played FAMU AND SC State. Those are games the players on both sides will be talking about for years to come. And they contributed to the HBCU Market.

Truth be told, Hopson wanted to make himself look good. Alcorn should have scheduled more OOC HBCUs so we would have more opportunities to prove that we too could represent the conference and this could have possibly prepared us more for playing a MEAC Team like NC A&T.

Competing against OOC FCS HBCUs is the Spirit of Competition and Fellowship for HBCU Football as a whole.
Dominated? What game did you watch?

No he didn't. Hopson won two championships plus never lost to Southern huge difference.

You tryna compare 4 years to 8 years. Comegy's record the first 4 years were just as good as Hopson's except Hopson went to the ship twice and went 2-0. Comegy went twice and went 1-1. JSU was 3-1 vs SU during Comegy's first four years so again.. not a huge difference.

You tryna compare 4 years to 8 years. Comegy's record the first 4 years were just as good as Hopson's except Hopson went to the ship twice and went 2-0. Comegy went twice and went 1-1. JSU was 3-1 vs SU during Comegy's first four years so again.. not a huge difference.
Yes it is Hopson won. He was in the conference four years won two back to back championships. He won!! Plus Rick never beat Southern four years in a row.

When he got there Dr. Brown was president and his belief was it takes money to make money. So they amped up the fundraising as well as all the ways to make money in other avenues. That's why they moved the Soul Bowl back to campus. The money made from parking and tailgating alone damn near cleared what was being made in Jackson. Just think, they charge $10 per car coming thru the gate. We haven't gotten to RVs and tickets.
Also Hopson hired some top assistant coaches which helped immensely. Willie is a top play caller and Hopson and Pec had the defense holding steady. The kids bought into the system and the rest is history. The school did upgrade the weight room as well as the video equipment to bring it all up to date. So it was a group effort from the school, alumni, coaches and most of all players buying into what they were doing.

We tried to tell the board back then that we had a plan but most didn't believe us. We all executed our parts well

Also Alcorn has a prime location in the SWAC. That along with our history and tradition allowed us to get competitive again quickly

Alcorn simply hired a good coach in the midst of most schools going through transition. If Valley hadn't hired Comegy, Hopson would have been the most senior head coach in the conference. He caught the conference at the right time, usually JSU and AAMU are strong in the east, but with both making bad hires, the door opened for Alcorn.

This is incorrect. JSU was 9-0 and were defeated by Alcorn soundly. AAMU was the same team we just came up and bumped them. Remember they beat us in 13...if Alcorn was still in the dumps they would've been 2nd in the East.
This is proven by who the Braves defeated and how it was done. Alcorn beat both traditional western powers back to back. Up till that time the East had lost 5 straight to the west. Without Alcorn's ascent the East would have still been losing to the west.

As a matter of fact Alcorn did have a large increase on enrollment during Hopson years and Alcorn was HBCU of the year while he was there. Don't know if it was coincidence or what. However these things did happen while he was there.

Many HBCUs enrollment has increased in recent years. Morehouse just let in the biggest freshman class in school history. Enrollment has increased at almost all hbcus

Many HBCUs enrollment has increased in recent years. Morehouse just let in the biggest freshman class in school history. Enrollment has increased at almost all hbcus

I pin that on white folk showing their true colors nationwide.

What it comes down to is this plain and simple..

Right from the Jaguars mouth, because some folk still feel inferior to D. Whiteman and will automatically move out of his way.
Boy please!! Get a life!! Smh!! U still on that? U prove my point black men (most) don't know how to b men first. B a man first than know how to duplicate it to being a good coach! Smh

What it comes down to is this plain and simple..

Right from the Jaguars mouth, because some folk still feel inferior to D. Whiteman and will automatically move out of his way.

This is silly. Broadway is doing the same thing in the MEAC but somewhat better than what Hopson did because he beat Alcorn.

This is silly. Broadway is doing the same thing in the MEAC but somewhat better than what Hopson did because he beat Alcorn.
I agree with you but as long as black people say D. Whiteman does it better just becaus he white people of color will always lag behind. Then when someone calls us out on the stupid shat we say we turn ninja and get aggressive and call them names and question their manhood.

It has always been odd to me how black people men especially will do and say some really dumb shat, then try to get other people to buy in. If they don't then the war is on.

Ie.. one is struggling in mathematics so he quits going. He then tells his friends man that class is dumb let's go smoke, drink, or see these girls.
No, I'm going to class, aww man you a sucka, nerd, punk, or question his manhood. When all the time the weak one, the punk, is the one who quit on his black coaches....I mean math class.

True!! But we don't have to many Broadway's. Smh. These type of coaches r great men first. That's y his success is duplicated on the field.

Boy please!! Get a life!! Smh!! U still on that? U prove my point black men (most) don't know how to b men first. B a man first than know how to duplicate it to being a good coach! Smh
Yes, I'm still on that. I think black people that blatantly go around saying white people are better just because they are white should be considered traitors and dealt with as such.

Ostracized and considered a court jester.

The way I see it is it comes down to knowledge, access to that type of knowledge and resources. Most Black Coaches don't get that access so they struggle at times with coaching or program building. More white coaches get access to what makes a good coach good so they are more prepared.

Broadway has shown that blackmen can coach. Fobbs is doing a solid job as well. This part of the discussion is just crazy.
Even in Basketball The Wiz destroyed this notion at Alcorn. Out coached plenty of white guys with more access and resources. Can't we just analyze the man and the job he's done instead of saying something ridiculous like "it's because he's white"

I get so confused when people give Broadway so many props and credit. He has been at A&T and Grambling a combined 9 years and has 3 titles. That's not bad but it took him 5 years at A&T...

I get so confused when people give Broadway so many props and credit. He has been at A&T and Grambling a combined 9 years and has 3 titles. That's not bad but it took him 5 years at A&T...
Hmmm that's all everbody been saying about j st. How long it took y'all to win a championship before Rick got there? And since 07 how long has it been?

Hmmm that's all everbody been saying about j st. How long it took y'all to win a championship before Rick got there? And since 07 how long has it been?

My point had nothing to do with JSU tho.... and JSU has one title in the last 13 years.. JSU has one in the last 9.... so what are you saying? lol

Most Black Coaches don't get that access so they struggle at times with coaching or program building. More white coaches get access to what makes a good coach good so they are more prepared.
Ding..Ding....ding..ding..
How did the football resource allocation during Hopson's tenure compare to previous coaches and why?

Ding..Ding....ding..ding..
How did the football resource allocation during Hopson's tenure compare to previous coaches and why?

I already addressed that.. he got more PLUS as I understand it, he was allowed to raise money. Remember when Ole Earnie got fired? it was because he was fundraising.
...and let's hope the administration keeps the funding level up. Their new Presidents seems a bit looney.

Back