Progress on new Harrison HPER Complex at MVSU

I'm just ready for the games to be back on campus. Next year we will open up the new place in style since Coach Payne has some pieces already in place for a better team next year.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I didn't read earlier but what will be the anticipated seating capacity?

Awesome basketball venue, btw. Props to Miss Valley St.

Any updates?

They've taken the fence down around it. Just finishing up minor stuff. As DGTM said, the first event will be graduation in May. I'll probably go and take some pics next month when the school will give tours of the completed facility.

gKPfJM8.jpg

Official tours started today. Info that was provided today:

* The only major change in plans is that there will be 4 scoreboards on each side of the gym instead of a scoreboard from the ceiling due to NCAA requirements of a certain height between the floor and the scoreboard (since this was technically a renovation instead of building a new facility from the ground up. that's why this wasn't done in the early stages).
* The new gym has the capability to host SWAC tourneys (up to standards to do so in case the tourney left Houston)
* Valley coordinated with ESPN on lighting and what angles they preferred as far as cameras are concerned so the proper fixtures and lights were installed. This should lead to more home games
* The pool will be the last thing completed (won't interfere with Commencement)

Bleachers being installed (ALL the seats will be chairs instead of bleachers)

VqhkwPE.jpg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
One of the concession areas for food

Since the walking area is also the concourse, you can enjoy your food in designated areas and not block the aisle or other people

ysUcaBE.jpg

congrats valley!

662 make sure you take more pictures when the bleachers are installed...I know it will look nice! I expect those seats to be green & red of course lol

Host SWAC tourneys? Where are the fans going to stay (hotels, restaurants, etc...)?

There are enough (national chain) hotels in Greenwood to handle 16 teams plus Indianola (20 minutes), Grenada (35 minutes), Winona (35 minutes), Cleveland (40 minutes) and Greenville (40 minutes) are within reasonable distance. Delta cuisine is very underrated.

I don't foresee it happening (entirely leaving Houston) in the near future but at least the option of having a conference school host the tourney on campus is in play

Not enough Holiday inn type hotels....all only offer express breakfast and lack of full service restaurants so imagine everyone eating at one time

Back