Five face hazing charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistik said:
^^^My Point Proven^^^^^by the both of you, Another reason why hazing will never die. Thank you for proving my point. And it wasnt a stupid statement because Someone else felt the same way about it on this topic too. Not saying im against hazing or ever was, but im just stating and "Been" stating my opinion on why "Hazing" is never going away.

:shame: just :shame:

Well said AAMU alum!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They are now suing the University...

The Florida A&M University students that were recently charged for hazing have filed suit against the university Thursday, citing that they did not receive due process.

The university suspended five Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. members, Brian Bowman, Cory Gray, Jason Harris, Marcus Hughes and Michael Morton, after they were arrested and charged with the hazing of a student.

According to the complaint filed by the students, the university did not notify them in writing of their suspension. When they contacted the registrar's office, they were informed that they were still registered for classes.

But the complaint also stated that Vincent June, vice president of student affairs, informed Morton that if he were to attend class, he would be doing so illegally.

"The university has been inconsistent," said Bill Waters, attorney for Waters & Wolk P.A. and counsel for the students.

The complaint cited Article 100.01, Section 1, Point L of the student handbook, stating, "The student's status will remain unchanged pending the university's final decision in the matter..."

In the same section it said, "...except where the president's designee determines that the safety, health or general welfare of the student or the university is involved."

Elizabeth McBride, general council for FAMU, said, "It has been long standing in the case law in this country that the administrators have been granted discretion in determining the standard of behavior to maintain discipline and good order on their campus."

Morton, 23, a business student from Fort Lauderdale, and Bowman, a marketing and psychology student from East Oakland, Calif., are scheduled to graduate this semester.

The students have requested an emergency hearing to expedite the process so that they might graduate and the other three students be allowed to finish the semester.

"It is only proper that they be provided the opportunity for due process after attending the university," said Waters

http://www.hbcunetwork.com/modules/content/news_details.cfm?content_id=3646

Morton, 23, a business student from Fort Lauderdale, and Bowman, a marketing and psychology student from East Oakland, Calif., are scheduled to graduate this semester.

:eek:

This aint looking good for Anyone in this situation.
K.A.Psi, I hope yall got some deep pockets and some good lawyers.

I pray that the best comes out of this.

Question

How will those that gave the names to the police are treated by the other members. That one of the reason I did not pledge back in the day. I could not imagine pledging Omega under Too Tall Jones.

I remember my cousin [Kappa] [SGA President] bragging after he and his fraternity brothers beat a student with their canes. A week later he lost his intermship with Coke, No longer the SGA President and his life went downhill.

Why would anyone want to beat their potential brother. Seem like it would breed hate rather than love.

Realistik said:
^^^My Point Proven^^^^^by the both of you, Another reason why hazing will never die. Thank you for proving my point. And it wasnt a stupid statement because Someone else felt the same way about it on this topic too. Not saying im against hazing or ever was, but im just stating and "Been" stating my opinion on why "Hazing" is never going away.

What Frat are you in again?????
What "hazing" have you seen or been subjected to?

You sound like a scorn brother who broke the cut too many times.
Oh well.

It doesnt matter how many times i broke the cut, i just have been through hazing.... pledging twice.. i didnt mean any harm or to affend any one but it was just a harmless opinion. O well... forget i said that....

silentrage said:
^^^^Oh, okay, I must have reading your statements incorrectly.

With regards to hazing, I disagree, it can go away if a concerted effort is made by all parties. Which, unfortunately, is the hard part about beind rid of it in the Greek community, clubs, sports, etc.

Shut down undergrad in take.

Realistik said:
It doesnt matter how many times i broke the cut, i just have been through hazing.... pledging twice.. i didnt mean any harm or to affend any one but it was just a harmless opinion. O well... forget i said that....

Again, what FRAT Are you IN??????

hazing will never stop on both levels...thats just the way it is. people are still very 2-faced when it comes to hazing

da_caramel_diva said:
J4J hazing is not just at an undergraduate level. I know way too many people who are hazed on a graduate level. :shame:

Caramel,

How often is it that an incident like this one (Kappas at FAMU) or (so no one will think I'm being biased,) Alphas at SMU (trying to turn that kid into a goldfish three years ago,) do we hear about some of the foolish life-threatening isht on a graduate level?

True enough, there are some fools...graduates from college chapters, but not necessarily members of an alumni chapter, who go to bed at night thinking of ways to conduct underground activities. And, there are some who are dues paying members of alumni chapters that are equally as stupid. BUT, how many cases have you heard about where an alumni chapter has been responsible for the kind of crazy garbage we've been hearing about too often since the start of this millenium?

J4J's post is starting to gain alot of momentum among the NPHC. It will be a sad day, but if we allow this kind of foolishness to continue (and have folks trying to rationalize it) we will be sued out of our socks.

I don't know about y'all, but I ain't got a million dollars to pay some family when some fool renegade brother(s) or sorors decide they want to beat the hell out of their kids.

AAMU Alum said:
I don't know about y'all, but I ain't got a million dollars to pay some family when some fool renegade brother(s) or sorors decide they want to beat the hell out of their kids.

Ditto! :tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
AAMU Alum said:
Caramel,

How often is it that an incident like this one (Kappas at FAMU) or (so no one will think I'm being biased,) Alphas at SMU (trying to turn that kid into a goldfish three years ago,) do we hear about some of the foolish life-threatening isht on a graduate level?

MAn you try to join the grad chap. here, & yo teeth gonna be kicked in.

J4J said:
Shut down undergrad in take.

No never that!!!! It is on the undergraduate campuses where our young men and women need the nurturing and uplift that these organizations should be providing to our youth. I know it ain't working like it should...that's because it wasn't intended to be this way. But it can be fixed...it must be! It's not gonna be easy...but it can be done.

AAMU Alum said:
BUT, how many cases have you heard about where an alumni chapter has been responsible for the kind of crazy garbage we've been hearing about too often since the start of this millenium?

MAAAAAAAAAN. :smh:

No offense, but you are an Alpha.

*thinking back to Spr/Sum of 01* :eek:

Is it just me? I"m beginning to believe that our worse enemies come from within rather than from without. Tony I went grad and still have all my teeth. As I said in another thread I don't play that. :shame:

Roo!

PLOW DOG said:
Is it just me? I"m beginning to believe that our worse enemies come from within rather than from without. Tony I went grad and still have all my teeth. As I said in another thread I don't play that. :shame:

Roo!

I have a chipped tooth........nevermind. Im not helping am I?

I feel what you saying team, but hazing goes on EVERYWHERE. Even here at the job, everytime we get a new associate we give them a Doortag and it reads: "First Name NEW GUY Last Name". After a year or untill a new "New Guy" shows up, they can get their regular name tage. We even did it for the Department Leader. It was a way of bringing them in to Jones playfully.

That's a form or hazing, is it not?

SONNY said:
I have a chipped tooth........nevermind. Im not helping am I?

I feel what you saying team, but hazing goes on EVERYWHERE. Even here at the job, everytime we get a new associate we give them a Doortag and it reads: "First Name NEW GUY Last Name". After a year or untill a new "New Guy" shows up, they can get their regular name tage. We even did it for the Department Leader. It was a way of bringing them in to Jones playfully.

That's a form or hazing, is it not?

Yes............but the physical hazing is what have gotten out of control!!!!!

SONNY said:
MAAAAAAAAAN. :smh:

No offense, but you are an Alpha.

Indeed I am, and have been for more than 20 years.

If by that you mean that we aren't beating the hell out of (and the kicking the teeth out) of aspirants' mouths at the graduate level, you're right, and I'm damned proud to be an Alpha.....for that reason, and several reasons more.

Are you saying that you are proud that you let someone "whup" your arse....a grown man with a college degree and a professional career, just so you could be their frat brother? :confused:

AAMU Alum said:
Indeed I am, and have been for more than 20 years.

If by that you mean that we aren't beating the hell out of (and the kicking the teeth out) of aspirants' mouths at the graduate level, you're right, and I'm damned proud to be an Alpha.....for that reason, and several reasons more.

*soul clap*

PLOW DOG said:
Is it just me? I"m beginning to believe that our worse enemies come from within rather than from without. :shame:

No Plow, it's not JUST YOU!! I've said for quite a while now that we are destroying ourselves from inside out. I guess some won't be satisfied until we're wiped out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back