Status
Not open for further replies.

delock

BARBERSHOP COO
Five face hazing charges
FAMU students accused of beating fraternity pledges
By Daniela Velazquez
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Five members of a Florida A&M University fraternity were arrested Monday night on felony hazing charges after students pledging to the fraternity said they were brutally beaten with broken canes, smacked and taunted until some passed out.

Marcus Jones, whose father reported the alleged hazing in March, was one of as many as 26 students beaten during a series of Kappa Alpha Psi initiation incidents from Feb. 23 to Feb. 28, according to a probable-cause report from the Leon County Sheriff's Office. Jones, 19, a sophomore from Decatur, Ga., had surgery March 7 for wounds to his buttocks, which required 25 stitches and a drainage tube, according to the report. Jones also suffered a ruptured eardrum and will not regain 100 percent hearing in his left ear, according to the report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Arrested were senior Michael Morton, 23, senior Brian Bowman, 23, junior Cory Gray, 22, sophomore Marcus B. Hughes, 20, and pharmacy student Jason Harris, 25. They are the state's first arrests on hazing charges after the passage of a June 2005 law making hazing that causes serious bodily injury a third-degree felony. The undergraduate Alpha Xi chapter of the fraternity has been suspended from campus until 2013.

Only Morton could be contacted for comment Tuesday, and he referred questions to his attorney. The fraternity members are being represented by Tallahassee attorneys William Waters and Brian Wolk.

"I anticipate they will enter a plea of not guilty," Waters said. "Their side of the story will be told in time."

Waters and Wolk were hired as legal counsel to the fraternity last week and to the five individuals on Tuesday.

The arrests come after an investigation by the FAMU Police Department that was then handed off to the Sheriff's Office. Twenty-six people were issued subpoenas, and there could be more arrests, said Maj. Michael Wood.

"As this case develops, we feel like we have a criminal case for perjury," he said.

Several pledges told investigators that they were part of a series of beatings. Jones said that at times the students were hit so hard that the wooden canes broke. The Kappas would pick up the broken pieces and tape them together, making canes as thick as baseball bats, according to the report.

The pledges said they blindfolded themselves with maxi pads and stockings and were driven to off-campus locations including to what appeared to be an abandoned warehouse. The students were lined up, and Jones said that 10 of his "line brothers" passed out during the hazing, according to the report.

Some of the pledges could only identify the fraternity members involved by their nicknames, but several confirmed Morton as "Big Daddy Go 4 Play," Bowman as "Daddy Prototype," Gray as "Daddy Knowledge," Hughes as "Daddy Young Buck" and Harris as "Daddy Swagger," according to the report.

Castell Bryant, interim president of FAMU, said the school will wait for the Sheriff's Office to conclude its investigation.

"The school has already done what it's going to do at this point. We have suspended the Kappas from this university for seven years." The next step will come after the criminal investigation concludes.

"Whatever the handbook requires, we are going to do," Bryant said.

All five students could be placed on immediate suspension, depending on what the administration determines after receiving a report from the State Attorney's Office, said LaNedra Carroll, FAMU spokeswoman. Suspension could jeopardize the seniors' graduation.

"I can't speculate on what the report will tell," Carroll said. "Once we receive the report, the decisions will be made."

The law under which the five were charged was named for Chad Meredith, a University of Miami student who drowned in a 2001 Kappa Sigma hazing.

"This would be the first hazing incident under the Meredith act, if they prosecute to the fullest extent," said Rep. Adam Hasner, R-Delray Beach. He helped create the law. "I'm anticipating the outcome of the charges and how Florida's anti-hazing law stands up to challenge."

Kappa Alpha Psi's regional governing body, called the Southern Province, has placed the Alpha Xi chapter on inactive status since March 3, when the province issued a cease-and-desist order. The fraternity is conducting its own investigation, said Ronald Range, province polemarch, or president.

"Until the investigation is resolved, (the chapter is) placed on inactive status, which means that they cannot function as an organization on or off the campus of Florida A&M University," Range said.

If the allegations are proved true, the students could face expulsion from the fraternity and a fine, Range said.

One scholar says hazing is a rampant problem and that FAMU is not alone.

"What happened in Tallahassee is not an anomaly," said Ricky Jones, an expert on hazing in historically black Greek organizations. Jones is the chair of the Pan-African Studies Department at the University of Louisville and a member of Kappa Alpha Psi.

He said hazing is often supported by the organization.

"It's like, hey, you should not haze, wink. We're not ahazing organization, wink," he said. "They're not doing anything to stop it outside of a few rhetorical proclamations."

Mark Jones, Marcus Jones' father, feels lukewarm about the arrests. Marcus Jones is being represented by Tallahassee attorney Dawn Whitehurst of the firm Knowles and Randolph.

"Nobody wins in this sort of situation," Mark Jones said.

But for him, the real answer to the solution is still to come.

"Right now, arrest is one thing," he said. "Let's see what happens in the court."

Contact reporter Daniela Velazquez at (850) 599-2161 or dvelazquez@tallahassee.com.

Originally published April 12, 2006

delock said:
Five face hazing charges
FAMU students accused of beating fraternity pledges
By Daniela Velazquez
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Five members of a Florida A&M University fraternity were arrested Monday night on felony hazing charges after students pledging to the fraternity said they were brutally beaten with broken canes, smacked and taunted until some passed out.

Marcus Jones, whose father reported the alleged hazing in March, was one of as many as 26 students beaten during a series of Kappa Alpha Psi initiation incidents from Feb. 23 to Feb. 28, according to a probable-cause report from the Leon County Sheriff's Office. Jones, 19, a sophomore from Decatur, Ga., had surgery March 7 for wounds to his buttocks, which required 25 stitches and a drainage tube, according to the report. Jones also suffered a ruptured eardrum and will not regain 100 percent hearing in his left ear, according to the report.

ADVERTISEMENT

Arrested were senior Michael Morton, 23, senior Brian Bowman, 23, junior Cory Gray, 22, sophomore Marcus B. Hughes, 20, and pharmacy student Jason Harris, 25. They are the state's first arrests on hazing charges after the passage of a June 2005 law making hazing that causes serious bodily injury a third-degree felony. The undergraduate Alpha Xi chapter of the fraternity has been suspended from campus until 2013.

Only Morton could be contacted for comment Tuesday, and he referred questions to his attorney. The fraternity members are being represented by Tallahassee attorneys William Waters and Brian Wolk.

"I anticipate they will enter a plea of not guilty," Waters said. "Their side of the story will be told in time."

Waters and Wolk were hired as legal counsel to the fraternity last week and to the five individuals on Tuesday.

The arrests come after an investigation by the FAMU Police Department that was then handed off to the Sheriff's Office. Twenty-six people were issued subpoenas, and there could be more arrests, said Maj. Michael Wood.

"As this case develops, we feel like we have a criminal case for perjury," he said.

Several pledges told investigators that they were part of a series of beatings. Jones said that at times the students were hit so hard that the wooden canes broke. The Kappas would pick up the broken pieces and tape them together, making canes as thick as baseball bats, according to the report.

The pledges said they blindfolded themselves with maxi pads and stockings and were driven to off-campus locations including to what appeared to be an abandoned warehouse. The students were lined up, and Jones said that 10 of his "line brothers" passed out during the hazing, according to the report.

Some of the pledges could only identify the fraternity members involved by their nicknames, but several confirmed Morton as "Big Daddy Go 4 Play," Bowman as "Daddy Prototype," Gray as "Daddy Knowledge," Hughes as "Daddy Young Buck" and Harris as "Daddy Swagger," according to the report.

Castell Bryant, interim president of FAMU, said the school will wait for the Sheriff's Office to conclude its investigation.

"The school has already done what it's going to do at this point. We have suspended the Kappas from this university for seven years." The next step will come after the criminal investigation concludes.

"Whatever the handbook requires, we are going to do," Bryant said.

All five students could be placed on immediate suspension, depending on what the administration determines after receiving a report from the State Attorney's Office, said LaNedra Carroll, FAMU spokeswoman. Suspension could jeopardize the seniors' graduation.

"I can't speculate on what the report will tell," Carroll said. "Once we receive the report, the decisions will be made."

The law under which the five were charged was named for Chad Meredith, a University of Miami student who drowned in a 2001 Kappa Sigma hazing.

"This would be the first hazing incident under the Meredith act, if they prosecute to the fullest extent," said Rep. Adam Hasner, R-Delray Beach. He helped create the law. "I'm anticipating the outcome of the charges and how Florida's anti-hazing law stands up to challenge."

Kappa Alpha Psi's regional governing body, called the Southern Province, has placed the Alpha Xi chapter on inactive status since March 3, when the province issued a cease-and-desist order. The fraternity is conducting its own investigation, said Ronald Range, province polemarch, or president.

"Until the investigation is resolved, (the chapter is) placed on inactive status, which means that they cannot function as an organization on or off the campus of Florida A&M University," Range said.

If the allegations are proved true, the students could face expulsion from the fraternity and a fine, Range said.

One scholar says hazing is a rampant problem and that FAMU is not alone.

"What happened in Tallahassee is not an anomaly," said Ricky Jones, an expert on hazing in historically black Greek organizations. Jones is the chair of the Pan-African Studies Department at the University of Louisville and a member of Kappa Alpha Psi.

He said hazing is often supported by the organization.

"It's like, hey, you should not haze, wink. We're not ahazing organization, wink," he said. "They're not doing anything to stop it outside of a few rhetorical proclamations."

Mark Jones, Marcus Jones' father, feels lukewarm about the arrests. Marcus Jones is being represented by Tallahassee attorney Dawn Whitehurst of the firm Knowles and Randolph.

"Nobody wins in this sort of situation," Mark Jones said.

But for him, the real answer to the solution is still to come.

"Right now, arrest is one thing," he said. "Let's see what happens in the court."

Contact reporter Daniela Velazquez at (850) 599-2161 or dvelazquez@tallahassee.com.

Originally published April 12, 2006

I hope they get the got Dayum death penalty.... People take this sh** to far and it makes no sense...

delock said:
Jones, 19, a sophomore from Decatur, Ga., had surgery March 7 for wounds to his buttocks, which required 25 stitches and a drainage tube, according to the report. Jones also suffered a ruptured eardrum and will not regain 100 percent hearing in his left ear, according to the report.

This is GOING TOO DAMN FAR!!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

SONNY said:
This is GOING TOO DAMN FAR!!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Definitely not how it was intended to be... It's gonna take a continued effort to change the mindset of those who still feel the need to be criminals during the growth of our organizations. This mentality of "making them quit" is ridiculous... If the Chapter voted that person acceptable for Membership Intake, the focus should be on helping to make that person a Brother and not seeing how much wood they can take.

I know folk who "walked in" (haven't been seen since) and some who got "hooded and wooded" (haven't been seen since). That's why its so important that Membership Selection become more serious...bring in folk who understand the real meaning behind being a BRUH. These individuals are less likely to put the future of the organization at risk. These legal fees are crippling us from doing the good work we are intended to do for our communities.

Yeah Team...it makes me :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: as hell also!

MikeBigg said:
If the Chapter voted that person acceptable for Membership Intake, the focus should be on helping to make that person a Brother and not seeing how much wood they can take.

!

Amen...amen...amen!!!

The renegades and wanna-be thugs are going to wipe us out!! Y'all mark my words....we won't survive another 10 years if this bull**** keeps up! And for those who wish to try to rationalize this ****.....PLEASE STOP IT!! YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!

AAMU Alum said:
Amen...amen...amen!!!

The renegades and wanna-be thugs are going to wipe us out!! Y'all mark my words....we won't survive another 10 years if this bull**** keeps up! And for those who wish to try to rationalize this ****.....PLEASE STOP IT!! YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!

Argreed.

This EXTRA HARD, I can take a blow to the head BS is going have all of us BANKRUPT!!!!!!

The question is....WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS SITUATION????

SONNY said:
Argreed.

This EXTRA HARD, I can take a blow to the head BS is going have all of us BANKRUPT!!!!!!

The question is....WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THIS SITUATION????

Like I mentioned before, we've got to make sure that the Dean of these lines make sure these people that are coming to the sets to wreck are held accountable.

buckwheat1911 said:
Like I mentioned before, we've got to make sure that the Dean of these lines make sure these people that are coming to the sets to wreck are held accountable.

HUH? what's a set? What's Wreck?

:read:

D team, D.

These people or straight Wreck Shoppin on these folks man.. dang... I look at it like this, whatever your Founder's did and went through, you should go through and experience. It gets no Fair than that.

Um, read the history of most of the Divine 9 and you will find that most of the Founder's did not go through hazing which caused the type of injury chronicled by this most recent story.

Furthermore, just because something happened to someone who came before doesn't make it right! :retard: All things do not and should not stay the same.

Which does nothing but make my point even better, Whatever your founder's went through, did, didnt do, or didnt go through. You should experience the same!

*hands down* Should be end of discussion, But

HAZING WILL NEVER END! Say for example u can tell Mu Mu Mu fraternity that there going to be put on a freeze and members are going to prison. Its still gonna be hazing, as long as theres different locations and different places. HAZING WILL GO ON FOREVER! So i just wish everyone would just stop this ANTI HAZING FORM stuff an these articles. Your not going to be accepted if your not hazed. Thats the main reason why people who cant take hazing go along with it. They dont want to be looked at as PAPER, or not be RESPECTED.

^^^^Oh, okay, I must have reading your statements incorrectly.

With regards to hazing, I disagree, it can go away if a concerted effort is made by all parties. Which, unfortunately, is the hard part about beind rid of it in the Greek community, clubs, sports, etc.

I like your attitude toward this whole thing, but something like this is as hard as telling kids to stop eating candy or telling someone who sucks there thumb to stop. They do it at the point at which you tell them, or when it is stressed the most. But eventually they go right ahead back on doing it again. And this is the same thing with HAZING. Hazing is going to be here as long as the WORLDS here with PEOPLE in it, and its already done.

But why is it done like that? Ill tell you why; because theres people all over the world in these organizations, that even if they were put on a freeze everywhere, whose going to stop wearing there letters, who is going to stop claming there fraternity/ sorority, who is going to be like "well they put on a freeze so i guess i cant pledge this, or that", No forget that, what that person is going to do is be like, "It doesnt matter, im going to do whatever it takes to pledge what i want, no matter if i got to go to people's homes an do it privately, im going to get in that org somehow." And you know what, those people or going to let that happen as if there not on a freeze or watch or whatever it is.

And like I say, there you have it! Case could be closed with a SEAL!

jagface said:

I've read some of that bull****!! Some fool gal (DestinyAwaits) who is in law school, is on that forum talking about how she would defend the five criminals, and how putting them in jail would be the "waste" of five young black lives. No where in here foolish ranting does she say express any sentiments about the victim!

Talk about a crazy heffa! :smh:

AAMU Alum said:
I've read some of that bull****!! Some fool gal (DestinyAwaits) who is in law school, is on that forum talking about how she would defend the five criminals, and how putting them in jail would be the "waste" of five young black lives. No where in here foolish ranting does she say express any sentiments about the victim!

Talk about a crazy heffa! :smh:

Yes! She is ass-backwards. Them boys going to jail.

Realistik said:
These people or straight Wreck Shoppin on these folks man.. dang... I look at it like this, whatever your Founder's did and went through, you should go through and experience. It gets no Fair than that.

STUPID ARSE STATEMENT !!!!!!!!!!:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame:

^^^My Point Proven^^^^^by the both of you, Another reason why hazing will never die. Thank you for proving my point. And it wasnt a stupid statement because Someone else felt the same way about it on this topic too. Not saying im against hazing or ever was, but im just stating and "Been" stating my opinion on why "Hazing" is never going away.

Well, I will say this......if hazing doesn't go away.......WE WILL!! Y'all can snack on that however you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back