Zildjian Goes Hollywood video trailor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of paying attention to detail, via that clip or typed in this thread, is uncanny in this thread. And, :smh:

Ain't nobody trying to discredit anyone...and, everyone has given props on what he's trying to do with the kids. But, if you think people, in general, are going to sit on their hands while others gloss over facts, then you're mistaken. And, I don't care which person is percieved to've "gotten there first" ( :retard: ).

So, how is this any different from any other topic in past threads?

Yall are wild. I see things still haven't changed over here!

P.S. I am Z phi! Yay! Fall '88 LMAO:retard:
:argue2:
:shame:

can ya'll just say "We know this shit started in NOLA(aka SU)" so we can continue with the actual topic and stop the rhetorical shyt....

~walks out~

That picture of the "founder" look like this cat that marched at SU in the 80's somewhere around 85 or 86 maybe 87...

If thatis him.....he is from New Orleans...

And not taking away from how deep "hollywood" love twirling and the art....but this cat is from Huntsville..just like you feel "nobody" love it more than him... he don't love it more than a lot of folk down this way......

That's Aristide(pronounced Steed) in that picture. He marched from 80-83. Got his jacket the year before I got in the Juke. He and this other dude named Keith were some cold cats back then. But I don't think he started it either? Maybe OnlySU or some older than me Jukes can confirm. I think Aristide has a son on the way to SU soon. I use to see him at the games all the time. But you are right. All that isht started in New Orleans and got transferred to SU when those cats came up. Folks be thinking we are lying. The truth of the matter is that even before I got to SU, I never saw cymbals be a focal point in a drum section like I saw SU's. Doc always explained why he had 6 footers playing cymbals. Most bands put their saddest cats on cymbals and then hide them out. SU had their cymbals out front way before anybody. Hell we had cymbal features in the middle of ballads on the field just to showcase the cymbals. All these cats have to do is check old footage. Not to mention all the bands we faced during my time played on smaller cymbals than we did. Folks don't understand and think we are always making this isht up. But I certainly remember what I saw during my marching days and only SU really cared about our Cymbals. You might have seen some dancing around in other bands. But not that serious twirling and not with those big arse cymbals. We had 4 in 84 and expanded to 8 in 85 and it has been that way ever since.

Last edited:
JR, I know SU had a nice cymbal section in the day. I also know Morris Brown had nice cymbal section back in the 70's also. My cousin was section leader at Mo Brown in 79. My high school is the oldest black high school in ATL. We also featured our cymbal section in the 70's. We did it when I marched in 83 in high school. It was a tradition. I also started playing cymbals in 83 and went to snare in 85. Ask Mike Hern your frat brother from Bama St. I taught Mike and Charlie them Bama St boys how to spin in high school. It was an ATL style way back also. Now we didn't march with 21 inch,but we marched with 16 to 18 inches. An yes I am one of the coldest to ever come from ATL. :D Our style was based on FAMU and Morris Brwon in high school. So I know they were doing it then also.
That's Aristide(pronounced Steed) in that picture. He marched from 80-83. Got his jacket the year before I got in the Juke. He and this other dude named Keith were some cold cats back then. But I don't think he started it either? Maybe OnlySU or some older than me Jukes can confirm. I think Aristide has a son on the way to SU soon. I use to see him at the games all the time. But you are right. All that isht started in New Orleans and got transferred to SU when those cats came up. Folks be thinking we are lying. The truth of the matter is that even before I got to SU, I never saw cymbals be a focal point in a drum section like I saw SU's. Doc always explained why he had 6 footers playing cymbals. Most bands put their saddest cats on cymbals and then hide them out. SU had their cymbals out front way before anybody. Hell we had cymbal features in the middle of ballads on the field just to showcase the cymbals. All these cats have to do is check old footage. Not to mention all the bands we faced during my time played on smaller cymbals than we did. Folks don't understand and think we are always making this isht up. But I certainly remember what I saw during my marching days and only SU really cared about our Cymbals. You might have seen some dancing around in other bands. But not that serious twirling and not with those big arse cymbals. We had 4 in 84 and expanded to 8 in 85 and it has been that way ever since.

Last edited:
JR, I know SU had a nice cymbal section in the day. I also know Morris Brown had nice cymbal section back in the 70's also. My cousin was section leader at Mo Brown in 79. My high school is the oldest black high school in ATL. We also featured our cymbal section in the 70's. We did it when I marched in 83 in highschool. It was a tradition. I also started playing cymbals in 83 and went to snare in 85. Ask Mike Hern your frat brother from Bama St. I taught Mike and Charlie them Bama St boys how to spin in high school. It was an ATL style way back also. Now we didn't march with 21 inch,but we marched with 16 to 18 inches. An yes I am one of the coldest to ever come from ATL. :D

Man I know Mike. If it is the same crazy Mike that took us to the projects in Atlanta to get some beer on a Sunday LOL. Do you know crazy arse Rick that went to Bama State? He was from the ATL. Always wore a floppy Army hat. Mike would have pledged around 89 I believe. Maybe 91. I can't remember.

LOL @ Cee being the coldest in the ATL. All this cymbal stuff started way before I got to SU. So it had to have been going on in the 70s. That guy in the picture got to SU in 80 so that means he was in HS in the 70s. The late 60s and 70s shaped HBCU bands.

Man I know Mike. If it is the same crazy Mike that took us to the projects in Atlanta to get some beer on a Sunday LOL. Do you know crazy arse Rick that went to Bama State? He was from the ATL. Always wore a floppy Army hat. Mike would have pledged around 89 I believe. Maybe 91. I can't remember.

LOL @ Cee being the coldest in the ATL. All this cymbal stuff started way before I got to SU. So it had to have been going on in the 70s. That guy in the picture got to SU in 80 so that means he was in HS in the 70s. The late 60s and 70s shaped HBCU bands.

Yeah I know Rick. Mike pledged in 89 and I think Charlie Mack them pledged at Bama St in 91. Yeah Mike grandma them stayed over there. :lol: Aye JR, I remember we came to SU for yall homecoming in 85. We were crabbing our drum section and it was you KKPsi boys who taught us what peeling the banana was. :emlaugh: Man I gottta admit, yall showed us some nice ways to motivate our guys. :emlaugh: Aye I knew then that only the strong comes thru the Juke. :lol:

Last edited:
Well, I hope ole boy is getting some funding/sponsorship from Zildjian.

per his facebook page he is going to Memphis to meet the president of Zildjian this weekend.... so Im sure some funding will come out of it.

I remember when I first saw SU perform (that was when I was in high school) they played UAPB for homecoming. When they came into little Pumphrey Stadium those cymbal players set it off. They were in front of the band,it look like it was about 25 of them.

Exactly JR that's the only point most us are making in here...this type information of where it started should be bleeding in that "trailer" clip

:tup:

Exactly JR that's the only point most us are making in here...this type information of where it started should be bleeding in that "trailer" clip

Maybe he should say Z Phi Z started at SU, but the cymbal section spinning did not come from SU nor New Orleans.

Maybe he should say Z Phi Z started at SU, but the cymbal section spinning did not come from SU nor New Orleans.

You have the right believe what you want......but you have BAMA ST (more than one band director)on that video suggesting "hollywood" was the first they saw spinning cymbals that makes you claim hard to believe..

But if you say you saw it where you was from and folk from new orleans been seeing and it was made popular down here you can't just flat out say you know it ain't start in new orleans..is very well possible it did...

One thing for sure SU had more to do with making cymbals popular to the 31 hbcus than "hollywood"....lol

You have the right believe what you want......but you have BAMA ST (more than one band director)on that video suggesting "hollywood" was the first they saw spinning cymbals that makes you claim hard to believe..

But if you say you saw it where you was from and folk from new orleans been seeing and it was made popular down here you can't just flat out say you know it ain't start in new orleans..is very well possible it did...

One thing for sure SU had more to do with making cymbals popular to the 31 hbcus than "hollywood"....lol

Man this doesn't have anything to with Bama St. The fact of the matter is that SU did not start spinning Cymbals. Personally I think dude is to old for this band stuff, but if this is his life dream, I wish him the best. ATL bands have always had their own style. Sorry you cats wanna think highly of yourselves, but I will not let you guys tell a lie. Also FAMU was spinning Cymbals as Well as Morris Brown. Like I said, New Orleans bands have never had an inside track in the Atlanta market until the late 90's. Maybe around after 95 or so, but never when I was coming up.

Man this doesn't have anything to with Bama St. The fact of the matter is that SU did not start spinning Cymbals. Personally I think dude is to old for this band stuff, but if this is his life dream, I wish him the best. ATL bands have always had their own style. Sorry you cats wanna think highly of yourselves, but I will not let you guys tell a lie. Also FAMU was spinning Cymbals as Well as Morris Brown. Like I said, New Orleans bands have never had an inside track in the Atlanta market until the late 90's. Maybe around after 95 or so, but never when I was coming up.

LOL!!! Stop lieing.

I remember being in India during the first century
an Nobody was twirling like these dudes

cymbals_sm.jpg

You one heck of a liar.... tell us some more...

You one heck of a liar.... tell us some more...

Liar? I tell you what. Since you SU cats wanna get laughed at. If you are in the ATL area, this weekend we are are having our old high school band alumni picnic at Washington Park. Come on out and let's see what these cats gotta say. :lol: I mean ain't no sense in telling a lie behind the computer screen. I like to put the truth out here. I mean it be folks from all HBCU's that were born and raised in the ATL who marched from the 60's all the way up until the 90's. Let's put the truth put here. I like this. Yes sir. Let's end this discussion and put the truth out here. I am all for that. I bet you 100% that SU gets no respect from the old heads from 60-95. You were not a prime band to us in the ATL. No one had your style. No one. ATL had 21 public high schools doing that time and 19 were all black. Dekalb only had Walker and Columbia that was black. No one else. Mcnair came around in 1988 when Walker was closed. The other counties didn't even have black high schools until after 95. So let's see who marched like SU. Name one?

Last edited:
LOL!!! Stop lieing.

Okay, DJ the Video guy your alumni got all the videos. Ask him to post one ATL band that had SU style form 1960 until 1995. Let's put the truth out here buddy. I like this. Man you young cats don't know jack. Let's put it out player. :tup:

Liar? I tell you what. Since you SU cats wanna get laughed at. If you are in the ATL area, this weekend we are are having our old high school band alumni picnic at Washington Park. Come on out and let's see what these cats gotta say. :lol: I mean ain't no sense in telling a lie behind the computer screen. I like to put the truth out here. I mean it be folks from all HBCU's that were born and raised in the ATL who marched from the 60's all the way up until the 90's. Let's put the truth put here. I like this. Yes sir. Let's end this discussion and put the truth out here. I am all for that. I bet you 100% that SU gets no respect from the old heads from 60-95. You were not a prime band to us in the ATL. No one had your style. No one. ATL had 21 public high schools doing that time and 19 were all black. Dekalb only had Walker and Columbia that was black. No one else. Mcnair came around in 1988 when Walker was closed. The other counties didn't even have black high schools until after 95. So let's see who marched like SU. Name one?

Not only are you good at telling lies....but you are funny with it...

To say that SU started Z Phi Z is one thing. But to say SU or N.O. bands was the first to start spinning cymbols is another. What proof? :noidea: Just like someone from N.O. can say that they witnessed it first hand, someone else from another region can say just the same about where they grew up. How can either say the other is wrong just because they didn't see it??? Can anyone from N.O. prove that they were doing it before any other city?? Dates, times, people? If not, all this shyt is opinionated...

To say that SU started Z Phi Z is one thing. But to say SU or N.O. bands was the first to start spinning cymbols is another. What proof? :noidea: Just like someone from N.O. can say that they witnessed it first hand, someone else from another region can say just the same about where they grew up. How can either say the other is wrong just because they didn't see it??? Can anyone from N.O. prove that they were doing it before any other city?? Dates, times, people? If not, all this shyt is opinionated...

Let me see if you can be honest...

What HBCU made it popular?

Dude let's be honest, SU nor N.O. bands are no the top. To be honest you are average for what you do. Same tired shows, year after year. Same ole bland azz sound year after year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back