Zildjian Goes Hollywood video trailor

Status
Not open for further replies.
That picture of the "founder" look like this cat that marched at SU in the 80's somewhere around 85 or 86 maybe 87...

If thatis him.....he is from New Orleans...

And not taking away from how deep "hollywood" love twirling and the art....but this cat is from Huntsville..just like you feel "nobody" love it more than him... he don't love it more than a lot of folk down this way......

You are correct, J. That is Aristede and dude was indeed a beast on them Z's. He is ALWAYS around during the season and he is a regular fixture at Greggs Hall and sectionals.

I know there are not too many folks on here from back in the 80's and I don't want to seem to be "blowing our own horns", but, ah, them 80's?...they were the best of times...ah, the good old days....:nod:

Oh, congrats on the video!

2 Things....

1) Yea...this video did, indeed, make it seem like Hollywood started it all, and was the first to twirl like that back in '96 (esp, when he had those directors speaking on his behalf). I know that not to be true, cuz his crab year, I could've put Erk (SU'96) out there on him to eat his arse up. And, that's just him...and, not those BamaSt'96 or JSt'97 sections, which was poo, collectively. So, in that aspect, I can see how this video looks a lil odd to J.

2) 8 outta 10 Z twirlers can't "play" worth a isht. Got all kinds of twirling tricks and skills, but can't play at all. As long as Hollywood is teaching these kids how to play AND "be heard", along with the twirling...Im good.

I ain't got nutt'n against Hollywood...but, just based off this video...it does "seem" a little slanted to suit Hollywood in a big way. Fair enough, it's him that's doing the video...but, make sure you put everything out there (when it comes out). Just throwing a couple of SU pics out there wouldn't cut it.

Blade some of these dudes are a trip....

Hollywood crab Jsu in 96 and was taught by a few second rated cats from new orleans according to a few sources from new orleans that marched in 96 section...he crabbed 97 at ASU...

Just as you would imagine..."ERK" killed Jackson state whole line in 96...that was one of the highlights of the 96 SU/Jsu footage from that game...
And ERK would never let any footage get out suggesting he is the daddy of ZPHIZ....smh

As far as JSU is concerned Cortez was their legendary twirler on Z's..... and he will tell you he learned from "ERK"...

My whole thing is tell the whole story and do your BEST to not mislead folk..

:tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mayne..... Yall arguin' over some cymbals??????:retard:

I think what Jared is saying is this: twirling cymbals is a New Orleans thing. Regardless of how much it's grown, it started in New Orleans. So it belongs to New Orleans and to SU. And if the trailor didn't say 'everything we do in marching band today was started in New Orleans by cats who eventually went to Southern', then they're lying.

Right, J?? :D

:shame: at chall... Yall arguin' over some cymbals. :lol:

You are correct, J. That is Aristede and dude was indeed a beast on them Z's. He is ALWAYS around during the season and he is a regular fixture at Greggs Hall and sectionals.

I know there are not too many folks on here from back in the 80's and I don't want to seem to be "blowing our own horns", but, ah, them 80's?...they were the best of times...ah, the good old days....:nod:

Oh, congrats on the video!

Come to think of it that is the cat I was trying remember name when my CB told me someone that fitted his description came in his print shop when he wasn't there ..his wife and mom was at the shop when I believe Aristede came in there and saw SU band para in there...that when he asked if anyone that worked there marched at SU....lol

Mayne..... Yall arguin' over some cymbals??????:retard:

I think what Jared is saying is this: twirling cymbals is a New Orleans thing. Regardless of how much it's grown, it started in New Orleans. So it belongs to New Orleans and to SU. And if the trailor didn't say 'everything we do in marching band today was started in New Orleans by cats who eventually went to Southern', then they're lying.

Right, J?? :D

:shame: at chall... Yall arguin' over some cymbals. :lol:

Cut it out man....lol

Just saying don't mislead/misguide folks on the origins... that's all..

Cut it out man....lol

Just saying don't mislead/misguide folks on the origins... that's all..

bruh its a TRAILOR... the trailor dont tell the whole movie.... did you watch the entire clip? In the clip it says " we are going to tell you about the origin of cymbal twirling".... you want me to tell him to call you for an interview?

bruh its a TRAILOR... the trailor dont tell the whole movie.... did you watch the entire clip? In the clip it says " we are going to tell you about the origin of cymbal twirling".... you want me to tell him to call you for an interview?

Naw...he been all around so he should know all of what I am saying..
No need to inteview me..
:tup:

Speaking of trailors. That was a long azz trailor...:lol:

It's a hop, skip and a jump away from being a 10min trailor.

Right..long ass trailor praising "hollywood"..lmao

One of his former directors said... "he started it at one school and now its at 31 different schools"..

What SU was playing nothing but PWCs and the "hollywood" introduced it to the whole hbcu world?..

:retard:

That other director saying .."I never saw nothing like it in my life..he is the michael jackson of cymbals after that long list of other greats he named"....smh

You think that's not misleading....:lol:.....
That's the main part of that long trailor that disturbing...but that was a bunch of lies..
Hollywood ain't no greatest cymbal player...lmao. ..... that's some str8 up bull..

:lol:

Jared this is a TRAILOR.... who is going to go into a history lesson in a trailor.... and if you look at the video closely he did give a slight history lesson showing where kings were led in by cymbals back in ad times. BTW the dudes name is Aristide Williams and he was at SU from the years 81-85. Hollywood wanted to meet him so bad... he found his contact info and drove to New Orleans to meet him (this was just last week)... he apparantly he respects his roots.

Aristide(sp) marched in the band with me (fall 83 and 84) and he probably was one of Southern's best cymbal twirlers, but Southern was twirling cymbals long before the 80's. Even though he played bass drum, Mr. Chester White (RIP) might be the individual responsible for Southern's cymbal twirlers being so sharp and crisp, because he was Doc. Gregg's assistant that was in charge of the drum section during that period. Chester would have those boys lifting weights to make sure their arms were strong enough to twirler those large 22's in synchronized rhythm. Both Aristide and Chester were from New Orleans.

Also, go back a listen to the video, because it does say Alpha Chapter of Z Phi Z is at Southern University and everybody who's greek should know what that means.

And looking at the picture I almost didn't recognize him, but that is Aristide. Dude gain a lot of weight, which is typical after 25 plus years:

25828_385356394423_549879423_3653091_4986026_n.jpg

Last edited:
Twirling Cymbals did not start in New orleans. Please stop that lie. we have been twirling Cymbals in the ATL since the 70's. Morris brown, Clark and the House were into to it also. ATL bands all had Cymbals that were fire. I still remember in 86 when St Augstine came to ATL and we ate that azz alive. Silver Streak for life shawty.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Cee you know Jared believes everything started when HE saw it....

a pic I just found on the net. Based on the uniforms this was before the 70s. I take it they were from New Orleans right?

41.jpg

Twirling Cymbals did not start in New orleans. Please stop that lie. we have been twirling Cymbals in the ATL since the 70's. Morris brown, Clark and the House were into to it also. ATL bands all had Cymbals that were fire. I still remember in 86 when St Augstine came to ATL and we ate that azz alive. Silver Streak for life shawty.

facepalm.gif

:lol: @ "ATL bands all had Cymbals that were fire". Yea....sure.

And, that pic with those dudes with those small arse cymbals don't prove isht...:lol:

I see we're all allowed to have ghetto dreams.

Last edited:
Cee you know Jared believes everything started when HE saw it....

a pic I just found on the net. Based on the uniforms this was before the 70s. I take it they were from New Orleans right?

41.jpg

Dude wtf do that picture prove?...

The damn cymbal are just going backwards in the damn air...
There are pictures of people Obviously twirling Z's that ain't one...

And with that being FAMU... FAMU was heavily populated with St.Aug members..

nice try though.. let me stop lying that was a horrible attempt..

smh and :lol:

It's obvious when you look at that long ass trailer and the OLD band directors saying "Hollywood" was the first THEY saw do it...

and Hollywood is the same exact age as you... and he was taught by NEW ORLEANS folk while at JSU...

Some of you dude are natural born haters of New Orleans...

creativity down here with music has been New Orleans FORTE"....

Folk quick to wanna say..
"it ain't that serious".. but how long did it take you to find that picture... if it aint that serious why did you even go lookin for such a picture?

If I thought it started when "I" saw it why do I say it was started before I even born... man give it up

Last edited:
Dude wtf do that picture prove?...

The damn cymbal are just going backwards in the damn air...
There are pictures of people Obviously twirling Z's that ain't one...

And with that being FAMU... FAMU was heavily populated with St.Aug members..

nice try though.. let me stop lying that was a horrible attempt..

smh and :lol:

It's obvious when you look at that long ass trailer and the OLD band directors saying "Hollywood" was the first THEY saw do it...

and Hollywood is the same exact age as you... and he was taught by NEW ORLEANS folk while at JSU...

Some of you dude are natural born haters of New Orleans...

creativity down here with music has been New Orleans FORTE"....

Folk quick to wanna say..
"it ain't that serious".. but how long did it take you to find that picture... if it aint that serious why did you even go lookin for such a picture?

If I thought it started when "I" saw it why do I say it was started before I even born... man give it up

Jared its a damn picture, what did you expect a 3d picture with the cymbal spinning?

Jared please get the hell outta here with that "hate New Orleans" shit... I havent said ONE THING on this post even pointing to any type of hate for New Orleans.

Rather you want to admit it or not you are mad (have NO IDEA why) but you are mad...you sound like Shawty Lo (how u gone mention Atlanta without mentioning my name) LOL

You dont know who taught him what...... didnt u know how to play a trumpet before you got to SU? Deron was the section leader of his college section leader (Bama State) while in high school.

I still fail to realize why you are mad.... you got a young dude doing POSITIVE.... not into no bs...... raising money to get young high school cymbal/percussion players in college... taking kids to audition at different HBCUs... and you in here bsin over who is the best/first (something that is all argumentative and all based on opinions) I expect this out of somone young... not you bruh.

Jared its a damn picture, what did you expect a 3d picture with the cymbal spinning?

Jared please get the hell outta here with that "hate New Orleans" shit... I havent said ONE THING on this post even pointing to any type of hate for New Orleans.

Rather you want to admit it or not you are mad (have NO IDEA why) but you are mad...you sound like Shawty Lo (how u gone mention Atlanta without mentioning my name) LOL

You dont know who taught him what...... didnt u know how to play a trumpet before you got to SU? Deron was the section leader of his college section leader (Bama State) while in high school.

I still fail to realize why you are mad.... you got a young dude doing POSITIVE.... not into no bs...... raising money to get young high school cymbal/percussion players in college... taking kids to audition at different HBCUs... and you in here bsin over who is the best/first (something that is all argumentative and all based on opinions) I expect this out of somone young... not you bruh.

You don't hear me speaking against noneof that stuff you mention..
Let's stay on key with what I was saying...and it had nothing to do with what he is doing for the kids...hell I love what he is doing...

You already know what I am talking about...you bringing all this other stuff up to make it SEEM as if I am agaisnt this young man...don't do that brah...

"Hollywood's" first college section leader was at JSU...and that person is from new orleans..

I never said he taught him how to play...I said he introduced him to the art form of twirling Z's.... nothing more and nothing less....
That "trailor" is misleading as to the origins of the art form....and the BAMA ST. Director is lying when he say "hollywood" starting doing it and then brought it to 31 other schools..that's a flat out lie...again he ain't no michael jackson are whatever they was calling him of cymbals....that's a complete Joke...

Chances are he ain't better than Zock...and a bunch of other SU Z players...and again its a long line of them down here....

The video is misleading...ain't no anger or being mad about what I said..I'm just speaking the truth

:lol: I guess since James Brown was "doing it" before Micheal Jackson, that discredits everything MJ was about. :shame:

The hate in this thread is obvious. Either way, where are all the "so called" legends and their "documentaries" :noidea: At the end of the day, why mo'fukas on here talkin bout what Hollywood aint doing, he's out their "doing it" :tup: :clap:

....like the old saying goes, you know you doing good shyt when you got people talking. And while people talking, he's still going to be doing good shyt.

:lol: I guess since James Brown was "doing it" before Micheal Jackson, that discredits everything MJ was about. :shame:

The hate in this thread is obvious. Either way, where are all the "so called" legends and their "documentaries" :noidea: At the end of the day, why mo'fukas on here talkin bout what Hollywood aint doing, he's out their "doing it" :tup: :clap:

....like the old saying goes, you know you doing good shyt when you got people talking. And while people talking, he's still going to be doing good shyt.

Wtf are you even talkin bout dude?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back