Why is it Grambling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blu Panther

One of the quotes you attributed to me in this thread did not come from me. But that's cool, I appreciate the fact that you look up to me so much!

One reason for the Langston attendance is due to the opponent that we played. There was no interest in seeing us play Langston. Also, a lot of BR and South La fans decided to remain in town to see Nichols State vs SU (the jags first home game, a more competitive and appealing matchup), Also several SU and GSU fans that I know from North La chose to go see Alcorn vs Bama State. Can't really blame any of them for that.

The location is somewhat of a factor, but also the playing of so many classic games on the road has eroded interest in attending games. Unless it is one of our big games against a traditional opponent (Jackson, Alcorn or TnState) the fans choose to not come. Our fans do not get excited about playing TxSouthern, AAMU or Bama State. These are not "rivalry" games as compared to the ones previously mentioned. I have asked many "older fans" about going to the TxSU game and I usually get a reply of "Oh, we're gonna beat them again...I don't feel like watching that...I'll wait til we play a good team".

It's disappointing that we don't have more attendance from the locals, but a lot of it has to do with the opponent, our geographical location, and apathy on the part of some of our fans.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
Blu Panther

One of the quotes you attributed to me in this thread did not come from me. But that's cool, I appreciate the fact that you look up to me so much!

One reason for the Langston attendance is due to the opponent that we played. There was no interest in seeing us play Langston. Also, a lot of BR and South La fans decided to remain in town to see Nichols State vs SU (the jags first home game, a more competitive and appealing matchup), Also several SU and GSU fans that I know from North La chose to go see Alcorn vs Bama State. Can't really blame any of them for that.

The location is somewhat of a factor, but also the playing of so many classic games on the road has eroded interest in attending games. Unless it is one of our big games against a traditional opponent (Jackson, Alcorn or TnState) the fans choose to not come. Our fans do not get excited about playing TxSouthern, AAMU or Bama State. These are not "rivalry" games as compared to the ones previously mentioned. I have asked many "older fans" about going to the TxSU game and I usually get a reply of "Oh, we're gonna beat them again...I don't feel like watching that...I'll wait til we play a good team".

It's disappointing that we don't have more attendance from the locals, but a lot of it has to do with the opponent, our geographical location, and apathy on the part of some of our fans.

I hope this answers your questions even though some of it was repeated about 5 times.

More like 6,975 times.

I think I get the picture now Grambling. You're low home attendence is because of your location. That explains that miserable and rainy day in Robertson Stadium when only 500 people showed up for one of the most historic days in GSU history.

Thanks.

You're welcome. But attendance should be the least of your concerns. You need to figure out how to close the gap in the 42-14 s-p-r-e-a-d that we have against Tessie Sue! Even with the low attendance (especially against losing programs like TxSU) we still dominate the hell out of yall.

What are you gonna do about it? Why can't yall get some D1 transfers to come in and help you win? Yall just lost to AAMU and they barely beat PVU the week before. These people got a new coach from a D2 school and they still whipped your azz. What's up with that? Please don't blame Thomas cuz you were getting azz whippings waaaaaaaay before Thomas came to Texas.

At least PVU doesn't give scholarships...

Yeah you are right man. We suck now. We sucked in years past.
It's no doubt about that. That's what I've said all along in this thread. But when a school that sucks as bad as we do sell more tickets than the Icon that is Grambling.... You all are deviating from my question and trying to spin it.

All I wanted to know was.... well I think you already know by now but I'll say it again:

CAN Y'ALL GET MORE THAN 6,975 PEOPLE TO COME OUT TO WITNESS THE BACK TO BACK SWAC FOOTBALL CHAMPION'S HOME GAMES??? sheesh.......

What's so hard about that?

I've heard it all from:

"I travel worldwide with my team every weekend from Portland to Las Vegas."

"Well, TSU went to Japan and stole stuff."

"Well, Bill Thomas is your coach."

"Our alumni don't feel like driving a couple of hours to a home game when they can fly accross the planet and pay $$$ for a classic to give to some white promoter when we could be giving it back to our school by coming to home games."

"Blah Blah Blah

The answer is simple. We have outgrown the SWAC! Our fans only come to our home games if our opponent is a traditional power like Alcorn and JSU. Plus those two schools bring their fans with them to help with the crowd. That's why we use TxSU and Bama State as homecoming games because otherwise no one would come to see us play you guys.

I admit that Bama State does bring some fans with them (especially recently) but TxSU brings about 500 fans (including parents of players and band members) so you guys contribute nothing to the attendance of the game. If we left the SWAC and played more attractive opponents like TnState, JSU, Alcorn, and FAMU as home and home non-conference games we would have better attendance. A lot of black students from North Louisiana attend McNeese, Northwestern, and ULM. If we dropped your azzes and played them at home we could draw much better. However, we are trying to remain loyal to BCF because we enjoy the cameraderie!

TxSouthern just doesn't draw much interest at GSU, Houston or anywhere else that you go play!

The problem might be that Gram does not reach out to the surrounding community. You see, Alcorn supports Fayette and Port Gibson even though people have not heard of these places. Also, Alcorn has a strong following in Red Lick, Polular Hill, Union Church, Harriston, Blue Hill, Church Hill, and Cannonsburg. Grambling obviously has a problem reaching out to small towns because they think that they are too good for them and then they have the nerve to talk about the Yellas. Get that stick out of your arse Grambling. To anyone coming to the Alcorn homecoming, just watch and see how much tailgating is going on in Fayette at the car wash on Main Street and how long the line is to buy chicken gizzards from the Shell station.

Grambling get that stick out of your arse and support the country Hick towns that surround you and then they will support you. You are calling these people nothing and saying that they don't count because they are not city folk. This is why Alcorn's attendance is double Grambling's. How big do you think Lorman is? It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than Grambling.

Gram, you are sad.

The answer is simple. We have outgrown the SWAC! Our fans only come to our home games if our opponent is a traditional power like Alcorn and JSU. Plus those two schools bring their fans with them to help with the crowd. That's why we use TxSU and Bama State as homecoming games because otherwise no one would come to see us play you guys.

That sounds like PV's problem also. I guess we've outgrown the SWAC too!

Originally posted by GRAM4LIFE
To set the recored straight about this subject and end the ignorance...

The students are not counted in attendence at the games. Only paying customers are counted.

Well actually thats not true. ALL people attending games are counted. Students do pay for the games. It might be paid during registration for school, but the games are paid for.

Just a FYI to nasty nupe and other GSU fans. Texas Southern is located in a large city;however, there are MANY residents that live here that are transplants. There are tons of people that have relocated here because of job prospects. GSU and SU should know that. We have a large Texas A&M and UT Alumni. The point I am trying to make is that there are many residents that are not affiliated with TSU or grew up here.

TSU is only 55 years old compared to the century old universities such as GSU,SU,PV,and JSU. We have only in the last 10 years started to work on our football program. We have traditionally been big on Track & Field and Basketball. Houstonians will support a winning program and if you are not winning we are not coming. THAT IS THE POINT THAT C-LeB28 was trying to make. We are in a large city with so many other things to do instead of going to a TSU game. However, in spite of everything I have mentioned, we were still able to draw almost 10,000 to our home game.

That comment that you made about the interest of your fans wanting to witness a TSU game was not always true. In the past the TSU/GSU game was a big thing. In fact it still holds a huge interest. Let me remind you two years ago when we played in San Antonio and our fans showed up in droves. In fact many of our supporters had to sit on your side. So, my friends when we put together a winning program you better watch out.

Let me digress a minute and comment on the fact that TSU just like Grambling have an "open door policy." This is not to say that once you leave those doors that you are not equipped with the tools that you need to be successful. TSU has so many graduates that have gone on to do great things in their respective fields.

TSU has produced a large percentage of Black pharmacists in the US ( meaning that we have graduates across the nation). TSU 's College of Pahrmacy has for many years enjoyed a 90% or better first time passage rate on the State Board. TSU was once ranked in the top 5 among all universities in the number of foreign students that we had on our campus ( meaning that we have graduates internationally). TSU Law School was ranked higher than any of the predominately white universities in the state in regards to the first time passage rate of the bar. Not to mention our world renown TSU Debate Team.

I can go on but I will stop here. So the image campaign that you mentioned is accurate. These are the good things that are not talked about. So, we are making sure that the word gets out. So if you didn't know before now you do.

TSU on the move!!!!!

ROTGDMFF...DYING LMAO@Grimacing.

Y'all don't get it do ya'?! :confused:

Man, look. Truth be told, we cannot compete w/ Gram on the playing field due to our financial support (or lack thereof). Everybody knows that currently. What PUT us there ultimately was <b>intelligence</b> @ the helm that spotted mis-appropriations of $$$$ through our athletic dept. Literally killed ALL of our programs (in terms of $$$$ support) when we WERE climbing. Period.

What <b>I</b> see (or don't see) going on @ Grum is in like manner. School was 2 inches (literally) from closing it's doors permanently and the <b>same people are in the same positions???? Alleged $$$$ meant for academia funneled to the GSU Athletic Foundation???? :confused: Awwwwwww man... :emlaugh:.</b> Football program has remained consistent while enrollment and physical growth have stagnated and is starting to demise. Refute it. I dare ya'. :D I'm smacking Grimacing and supporters as much as possible for they have allowed this to happen to the fullest (c. Eddie Rob 1992 - Dallas Morning News - I still remember that article where he said he'd "put the wood to PV's football team anytime as much as possible for us letting our program get in such dismal shape"). Oh yes, payback is a bia.

CLeb's question was legit. W/ all of this all-world drawing power, how can only 6K show up for a home game? Sounds like PV #s to me. And "L", we don't have all-world anything. "L", we don't even have 14% scholarship support and we still draw about the same. LOL I mean... :shame:

The <b>CON</b> of BCF. Refute it.

...and they just keep coming and coming!!

LOL!!!!!

C-Leb done took on the WHOLE GRAMBLING (quote) "Hall of Greatness" (unquote) TSPN population in just ONE Thread!!! Dayum!!! :D

I'm like... dang is this not the Royal Rumble or what!! :eek2:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

hhh_rumble2002.jpg

rr_logo.gif

:cool:

What are you looking for

C-Leb,

tell me why do you think our attendence is so low. I mean you have heard (or read) many reasons from location to who we play and yet you still are not satified. So lets end this for 6,795th time. What are your views on our lack of fan support?

TP,

GSU does indeed reach out to the small towns in the area. A great deal of our alumni are from these small towns. I'm also from one of those small towns, however it is 98 miles away from GSU. Although a lot of people from where I live are Grambling fans they do not feel up to making a 98 mile ride to see them play a team with no name recognition. They usually wait until it's a 'big" game against a traditional like Alcorn, JSU or when it's homecoming.

Another thing to consider is that not all the citizens of these small towns are GSU fans or alumni. A lot of them or their children attend or attended La Tech and/or ULM. But even their attendance numbers are about the same as GSU. Although Tech's have picked up recently since they became a legit mid major and played some "name" teams. I don't think Alcorn really has any competition for it's small town fans. There are not any games in the immediate area. But I even question their numbers for two reasons (1) They are coming from you and your objectivity is questionable (2) Why did Alcorn and JSU draw less than 11K in a recent Capital City Classic and last year's attendance was less than 35k?

Originally posted by Jagster

Well actually thats not true. ALL people attending games are counted. Students do pay for the games. It might be paid during registration for school, but the games are paid for.

Not at our school... Sorry, we don't pay for games and are not counted.

Originally posted by GRAM4LIFE

Not at our school... Sorry, we don't pay for games and are not counted.

Hey Jagster, the iCON that is Grambling is notontheNCAAlevel.

I couldn't get a straight answer out of these folks even if I had a gun to their head.

Boy oh boy..... what would Coach Rob say about all this? :smh:

Originally posted by Jagster

The illogical part of this whole point is that you are saying that the population of the student body is counted into every home game since they are all prepaid for. Meaning, they don't even have to come and they will still be counted at the game. So saying that, if students were counted in the attendance automatically then that would mean only out of the 6,975 people at the Langston game 4,500 was students. So only, 2,375 other people came to the game. That makes sense... I guess since I was there. Wouldn't you say I would know better than you? If this applies across the board then it can also be said that Texas Southern had 10,000 at their home game and they have a student population of 8,000 then only 2,000 other people showed up. Not likely...

But leave if to C-LeB28 to believe everything he hears without any verification. He'll go with anything to try to make everyone else look bad and not even think about what was just said. That whole premise would make all of our attendances look bad since it already has a predetermined min attendance number. Everyone else is just in addition to.

The statement made is not true. Students do not pay to go to games in registration. What you might be refering to is called an activity fee. That's for things like movies provided by the university and other events that students get for free or at a discounted rate. No games for any sports are paid for by students at my university. Now maybe at your school it might be different but not at Grambling.

But I'm sure you know everything... :confused:

LOCATION MY ASS, DOUG SAID IT HIMSELF TOO MANY FAIR WEATHER FANS.THE FIRST WEEK OF THE SEASON FOLKS WAS CRYING FOR TCIKETS AND THE NEXT WEEK AT AGAINST ALCORN EMPTY SEATS EVERYWHERE I THINK FANS AT GRAM GO TO SEE WHO GRAM IS PLAYING.IF IT DOES NOT RAIN THEY GO. IM WIT DOUG ON THIS ONE SAT WAS A DAYUM SHAME . 6.000 PEOPLE.I COULD SEE IF GRAM HAD NOT WON THE SCG BACK TO BACK ADN HAD A STANK TEAM COMIN BACK .BUT DAYUM THIS TEAM IS BACK TO BACK CHAMPS .I DON'T CARE IF THEY PLAY GRAMBLIGN HIGH THE STADIUM SOULD BE PACKED EVERY HOME GAME.LOCATION IS A BAD EXCUSE .THEY SURE CAN FIND THEIR WAY TO THIS LOCATION FOR HOMECOMING AND JSU.JUST WAIT TIL JSU COMES TO TOWN.YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO MOVE DEPENDING ON JSU RECORD.I THINK IT IS PATHETIC. THIS IS SAD BEYOND SAD.THE WHOLE POINT WAS TO SCHEDULE MORE HOME GAMES.FOLKS WAS CRYING ABOUT THAT.NOW THAY HAVE AN EXTRA GAME AND NOBODY GOES JUST SAD.THIS IS WHY GRAM PLAYS SO MANY CLASSICS IT IS PART OF THEIR INTERNATIONAL FAME BUT ALSO CAUSE THEY CAN'T DRAW FANS AT HOME. IT IS NOT DOUG FAULT AT ALL HE HAS DONE HIS PART.THE TEAM IS WINNING DURING A REBUILDING YEAR.FANS SHOULD BE PACKED IN NO MATTER WHO WE PLAY.THEY DO IT AT JACKSON , SOUTHERN AND OTHERS AND THEY ALL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!GRAMFANS THE REAL FANS LET'S TRY TO GO TO THE HOME GAMES EVEN THOUGH SU IS PLAYING IN SHREVEPORT AND WE NEVER GRADUATED FROM SU .LET'S GO TO OUR HOME GAMES AT LEAST I COULD SEE IF GRAM IS ON THE ROAD BUT AT HOME WE NEED TO BE THIER TO CHEER ON OUR TEAM NO MATTER WHO IS ON THE SCHEDULE.WHAT KILLS ME IS THAT THE SO CALLED LEADERS OF THE CARTEL ARE EXCUSING IT CAUSE OF LOCATION. JUST SAD I TELL YOU SAD AS SAD CAN BE

According to Gramblingnites:
GSU football is the Icon of Black College Football and historically the best of the best in Black College Football. That means GSU football can be described as the symbol, emblem, logo and representation of all Black College Football.

According to the Fighting' Irish of Notre Dame:
They are the cream of the crop. Historically the best of the best of all college football.

When Notre Dame (even in there down years) are scheduling a Troy State, a Rice University, a University of Toledo or a Southern Miss; they know that there is no interest to attend the game because there is a true belief that none of these team will have the Fighting' Irish on the ropes and even remotely come close to within three touchdowns of their football program. But you know what is so unusual? They still sell out that stadium. Why? Because they have pride and take that title as "the premier football program" seriously.

Of course I could care less about Notre Dame football (and I'm Catholic) or any other program that is not Texas Southern or the SWAC, MEAC, SIAC, or CIAA (get where I'm going with this?) But when someone or some program claims that through history and the past two years of being back to back SWAC Champions you as alumni and fans of the program....

"GET YO ASS OUT TO ROBERTSON STADIUM FOR EVERY HOME GAME!!!"

You see, it's almost a curse to be considered the best that Black College Football has to offer but when you have 6,975 people show up for a "few and far between" football game on your own campus you can't be taken seriously as the best that BCF has to offer.

In no way have I even thought of the words to come out of my mouth that Texas Southern is the best or one of the best or even close to the best or within the top 95% of the best that BCF has to offer. It's sad but it's true. And I let the administration all the way down from the Athletic Director, to the Vice President of Business Affairs and the President of Texas Southern know that our Head Coach brings nothing to the table when it comes to putting a winning game plan or strategy on the field. So when you all try to attack Texas Southern and our pathetic legacy, history and record this year. You are pissing in the wind. You're response holds no merit in trying to retaliate with your

"Well Texas Southern haven't won the SWAC since the Truman years........"

or

"Your band went to Japan and......."

or

"Well you are in Houston and we are in Grambling............"

or

"It was just Langston......."

Is that a response the ICON of Black College Football should respond with? Hell no. All of this would not have amounted to all of this if you damn Grambling fans would just admit that your fan base sucks when it comes to home attendance. I don't want to hear crap about it was just Langston. Does Notre Dame fans say:

"It was only the University of Wyoming."

or

"Why should I go to the game, we're gonna beat them by 55 points anyway?"

It's all about supporting your team. No I'm sorry your Icon of Black College Football program.

When FAMU schedules the "Langstons" of the world for a home game just to fill in their schedule, does less than 10K Rattlers show up even though they know they are going to beat the snot out of them? Hell no. But that's right.... they are not the best that BCF has to offer. It is the ICON that is Grambling who holds that title.

Hey STC_60, if you ever feel that your life is in danger or you feel threatened, shoot me (maybe I shouldn't out it that way)........ send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back