Why I HATE bruno mars and his cronies...

is the lack of competition in that genre what makes him stand out? Could he have made it in the 70s?

That's what I said earlier.

He went from singing hooks and a pop sound to pretty much a funk sound. There is hardly any funk presence in mainstream music/pop culture outside of Bruno. Prince in his last years was known for his memes as much as his music.

As someone said earlier in the thread, if 1-2 more acts were to blow up off a Prince-like/Rick James-like sound, you could see a revival much like Neo-Soul (Soul) did in the late 90s and lasted until the mid-2000s.

Check out Childish Gambino, dude definitely paying tribute to the 70s and 80s with this....

I mentioned him and this album earlier in this thread. I even posted about it in Small Talk/Media. Definitely raw, pure, not stepped on funk. I never took the time to read any credits but I definitely would like to know more about the musicians and producers he worked with. The album is beautiful and reminds me so much of the Parliament/Funkadelic albums from 70-74.

I totally feel yall on Bruno. :p I'm not a fan at all. Not hating on him but I didn't think I was the only one who felt like he had reached in to the vault of the Callaway Brothers and Midnite Star and swiped unrecorded joints that never made their albums.  

On the flipside,
I'm thinking, maybe he really digs that genre and era of music? And thats cool. But the songs sound sooooo much like those 80's funk/R&B groups, its hard for an old head like myself to NOT give him the side eye.  o_O

Imagine 3 young white girls coming out with hits sounding like....The Emotions' BestOfMyLove, IDontWannaLoseYourLove , DontAskMyNeighbor....I'd be looking at them the same way. :confused:

But....the crap that is out here also makes it easy for Bruno to do this AND STAND OUT when you have RAINDROP...DROPTOP :cool:...BLAH BLAH BLAH....I'm just saying. 

It is what it is.....:rolleyes:

I totally feel yall on Bruno. :p I'm not a fan at all. Not hating on him but I didn't think I was the only one who felt like he had reached in to the vault of the Callaway Brothers and Midnite Star and swiped unrecorded joints that never made their albums.  

On the flipside,
I'm thinking, maybe he really digs that genre and era of music? And thats cool. But the songs sound sooooo much like those 80's funk/R&B groups, its hard for an old head like myself to NOT give him the side eye.  o_O

Imagine 3 young white girls coming out with hits sounding like....The Emotions' BestOfMyLove, IDontWannaLoseYourLove , DontAskMyNeighbor....I'd be looking at them the same way. :confused:

But....the crap that is out here also makes it easy for Bruno to do this AND STAND OUT when you have RAINDROP...DROPTOP :cool:...BLAH BLAH BLAH....I'm just saying. 

It is what it is.....:rolleyes:

It pisses me the hell off man. I'm a life-long funkateer. Shit.

Was born in funk. Grew up in funk. And hopefully will die in funk lol. Is nothing sacred anymore in this biting assed society/country? smh

They started to go mainstream at this point, still I loved this promo video and the music there after.

You can't say George didn't have vision.

What most of you have been saying in this thread.

Had an older cousin in the 70s that used to collect P-Funk albums. I used to just sneak in his room and stare at those album covers.

This is another of my Clinton/P-Funk Favorites. They had become pretty much mainstream on R&B stations at this point. This track in particular is so reminiscent of the Gap Band's early sound that was off course directly influenced by George who admitted the he did indeed worked with them when they the first got started (was uncredited). The Unsung Documentary on Zapp revealed that he helped to get them started too but shady business among record labels and higher execs lead to him being uncredited as well.

As the story goes, the late Tisdale had begun working on a funk project, while battling cancer, because he desired to do something different from his usual norm. He funked it up!

Here is some more funk to take you back,...another funkdafied classic:

Last edited:
As the story goes, the late Tisdale had begun working on a funk project, while battling cancer, because he desired to do something different from his usual norm. He funked it up!

That's that bootzilla babey!!!!! :D

Bootsy!

Back