Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Dowell Taylor

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger G

Dr. Lewis Liddell has retired. We had a serious discussion at an alumni meeting concerning who should be JSU's next Band Director about two years. We plan to discuss our concerns with Dr. Mason because we plan to supplement the next Band Director's salary. Who should be JSU's next Director of Bands?

Last edited:
Re: JSU New Marching Band Director

What job(s) are we talking about?
  • Director of Bands - PhD required; will consider candidates who are slated to finish PhD program by end of fiscal year.
  • Director of Marching Band - does not require PhD, presenting a much broader field.

If it is Director of Bands, will that necessarily include direct oversight of marching band?

I need to know so I can cast my vote responsibly.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

• Director of Bands - PhD required; will consider candidates who are slated to finish PhD program by end of fiscal year.
  • Director of Marching Band - does not require PhD, presenting a much broader field.

If it is Director of Bands, will that necessarily include direct oversight of marching band?

Director of Bands

Seems like the decision was already made

This is from the great Sgt!
http://www.wapt.com

NOTES......
1....He is leaving on his OWN power. No forcing etc...
2....DOC wants Renardo Murray to serve as Interim Sonic Boom Director till a Nation Search is done.
3.....Yes a national search will be done.
4......Dr. Liddell stated that is one of the LOWEST paid SWAC Band Directors
5......He stated that Dr. MacGruder got more for leaving JSU to take over WSSU (30,000)

So saying that means that the National search will HAVE to kick up some more money to get their person...........

Dayum I ain't know JSU head was getting paid less than 30k... That's crazy, I honestly would have understood if Lidell would have been left that gig..

Seems like the decision was already made

This is from the great Sgt!
http://www.wapt.com

Dayum I ain't know JSU head was getting paid less than 30k... That's crazy, I honestly would have understood if Lidell would have been left that gig..

I told them you're slow and don't read well :lol:.....Magruder got paid $30,000 more to go to WSSU.

Last edited:

...Dayum I ain't know JSU head was getting paid less than 30k... That's crazy, I honestly would have understood if Lidell would have been left that gig..

Nah. McGruder got a net $30K increase to go to WSSU.

I told them you are slow and don't read well :lol:..... Dr. Magruder got paid 30,000 more to go to WSSU.

Are you really this "Stupid"?

"He stated that Dr. MacGruder got more for leaving JSU to take over WSSU (30,000)" and "Dr. Magruder got paid 30,000 more to go to WSSU"

Is far from the SAME stated... Boy you really are a dumbass...:shame:

The statement:
"He stated that Dr. MacGruder got more for leaving JSU to take over WSSU (30,000)"

IS ONLY THE SAME AS:

"He stated that Dr. MacGruder got (30,000) for leaving JSU to take over WSSU"

If the 30,000 is a NET increase, the statment still says it's MORE than what he was getting paid...

Which would mean the increase (30,000) is more than what HE was getting paid..

HENCE:

"So saying that means that the National search will HAVE to kick up some more money to get their person..........."

Ain't too many band directors with OUT a PhD or with ain't complaining about making 45k-60k.. So why would the HAVE to kick up some more money if this was the case?

The statement states clearly what this case was.. It ain't smack, because they have some University band director making just that 30k or less.. I don't think it is enough for a university band director... May be why Taylor wasn't too interested in trying to get that position again....And it may be other issues...
~shrugs~

Last edited:

Do not know why Liddell want Renardo Murray? Stephanie Sanders has more natural born talent than Murray or Magruder. Sanders is awesome and she is a JSU alumna.

Last edited:

"He stated that Dr. MacGruder got more for leaving JSU to take over WSSU (30,000)" and "Dr. Magruder got paid 30,000 more to go to WSSU"

The statement:
"He stated that Dr. MacGruder got more for leaving JSU to take over WSSU (30,000)"

IS ONLY THE SAME AS:

If the 30,000 is a NET increase, the statment still says it's MORE than what he was getting paid...

HENCE:

"So saying that means that the National search will HAVE to kick up some more money to get their person..........."

Ain't too many band directors with OUT a PhD or with ain't complaining about making 45k-60k.. So why would the HAVE to kick up some more money if this was the case?

The statement states clearly what this case was.. It ain't smack, because they have some University band director making just that 30k or less.. I don't think it is enough for a university band director... May be why Taylor wasn't too interested in trying to get that position again....And it may be other issues...
~shrugs~

Trp96, I understood the statement to mean that Mcgruder got an 30K increase to become a Head band director than he earned as an assistant at JSU. However, it could mean that the band director at WSSU makes more than the director at JSU by 30K. I did NOT understand it to mean that he was only paid $30K at JSU.

Do not know why Liddell want Renardo Murray? Stephanie Sanders has more natural born talent than Murray or Magruder. Sanders is awesome and she is a JSU alumna.

What school are you from?

The statement:

IS ONLY THE SAME AS:

HENCE:

~shrugs~

Dr. Liddell was director of Bands and he made way more than $30,000 dollars. McGuder is rumored to make $130,000 at WSSU so you do the math.

Bottom Line is we will hire someone and we will support him as alumni should. If He is Director of Bands he's gonna command more money anyway. Diretor of the marching Band will come with lessor pay.

According to what have always been told as to why Taylor had to step down is that he did not have a Ph.D. The Director of Bands is pretty much what it says... director of all bands.....and whether indirect or indirect, he has to oversee the marching band.

Crit,

You KNOW how I feel about this... LOL

....and that dude is from ASU. They loved Ms. Sanders when she was at Alcorn. They credit her for the success of the band in 1999. I do think she would make a great assistant at JSU though.

Director of Bands

There is only one person on the list who qualifies presently. However, I could support both Taylor and Adams with completion of their doctoral within the next year. Those three would constitute my focus from the list.

Rumor?!?!!?

McGruder making 130K as director of bands at WSSU?!?!?!

Un FN believable...... No way no how, especially at a school like WSSU. That just don't make sence. Head of Bands at HBCUs don't get that.....lol Department Chairs of Engineering schools at HBCUs may be getting that but not a newly hired band director...

The range I've heard and known is 30k - 80k+ ......And that 80k is after YEARS of experience!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Rumor?!?!!?

McGruder making 130K as director of bands at WSSU?!?!?!

Un FN believable...... No way no how, especially at a school like WSSU. That just don't make sence. Head of Bands at HBCUs don't get that.....lol Department Chairs of Engineering schools at HBCUs may be getting that but not a newly hired band director...

The range I've heard and known is 30k - 80k+ ......And that 80k is after YEARS of experience!!!

So how much does the director bands at SU get paid? What about the assistants? I was surprised to hear that WSSU was paying that much too but back in the early 2000s, WSSU has been paying their football coach better than ever SWAC school except SU and Grambling.

Re: JSU Next Director of Bands

Dr. Lewis Liddell has retired. We had a serious discussion at an alumni meeting concerning who should be JSU's next Band Director about two years. We plan to discuss our concerns with Dr. Mason because we plan to supplement the next Band Director's salary. Who should be JSU's next Director of Bands?

I don't see the need in supplementing a salary at JSU. I said the same thing for the football coach. We other other details that need to be supplemented first, like travel and uniforms.

So how much does the director bands at SU get paid? What about the assistants? I was surprised to hear that WSSU was paying that much too but back in the early 2000s, WSSU has been paying their football coach better than ever SWAC school except SU and Grambling.

It's a nice amount.. Doc was getting 80k+ as head director... With all the experience Mr.J has, he climbed into a nice comfortable spot... Our Asst. has a shyt load of experience so his salary ain't bad at all neither, nor is Nate as a new asst.

But now that I think of it.. McGrudar has to be doing more than Director of Bands to be making 130k..unless WSSU was just THAT desperate for a good band director...

It's a nice amount.. Doc was getting 80k+ as head director... With all the experience Mr.J has, he climbed into a nice comfortable spot... Our Asst. has a shyt load of experience so his salary ain't bad at all neither, nor is Nate as a new asst.

But now that I think of it.. McGrudar has to be doing more than Director of Bands to be making 130k..unless WSSU was just THAT desperate for a good band director...

At SU, is the Directors of Bands the same person as the marching band director?

At SU, is the Directors of Bands the same person as the marching band director?

Yep!

Director of Bands oversee:

Marching
Concert
Stage Band
Brass
Sax quartet..

etc...

I believe the Asst. and Head are required to teach a few classes as well.. (applied)

Dr. Liddell was director of Bands and he made way more than $30,000 dollars. McGuder is rumored to make $130,000 at WSSU so you do the math.Bottom Line is we will hire someone and we will support him as alumni should. If He is Director of Bands he's gonna command more money anyway. Diretor of the marching Band will come with lessor pay.

:retard:
Man, they don't pay some football coaches in the MEAC or SWAC that kind of cash. I doubt he makes that much money at WSSU. Those coaches would stage a mutiny.

I do know those schools up there do pay more on average for their band director jobs than the SWAC do as a whole.

As far as what Liddell made:

Aint no way I believe JSU paid Doc Liddell no 30k, he made more than that at Provine in the 80s lol........so I will assume he meant Magruder got a 30 K raise or he got 30 K more than Liddell to take the WSSU job.

I do remember Taylor saying the pay was not what he thought it should be when he had the job but somehow I thought the bruhs said they brought Liddell in for more money than they paid Taylor since had his Doctorate and I know Taylor was making more than 30K back in the 80s.

Players where you at man?

Homeboy SOP83........what is the scoop bruh?

Anyway I hope Doc enjoys his retirement. He deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back