Where did the song "neck" come from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee..... I understand Mo B was your neighborhood school... but their BEST years were 2000-2002.... Mo B wasn't even a factor to AAMU before then.

Cee..... I understand Mo B was your neighborhood school... but their BEST years were 2000-2002.... Mo B wasn't even a factor to AAMU before then.

00-02 may have been their loudest years... But I remember hearing fall 95 Morris Brown in person and they sounded a lot better than those bands.

00-02 may have been their loudest years... But I remember hearing fall 95 Morris Brown in person and they sounded a lot better than those bands.

they came here in 95 for AAMU's homecoming... only thing I remember special was their dance girls dressing in red Tina dresses dancing to a Tina Turner song. the 2000 edition was much better.

:lol: Nall for real in the late 70's until around 88, MOB could hold their own. Around 85-86 time frame is when everyone started leaving the ATL for FAMU.

this is why I hate all these white schools trying to swagger jack the swac.

This is how white people do...they degrade what we do 1st, then they start copying it, once one of them becomes good at what we started then they act like its now 'inventive'. Like it didn't become relevant until they started doing it.

See Eminem for reference.

Just so you all would know, this is how I date myself on this forum. It was 1981 the Ocean started playing "Talking Out the Side of Your Neck" toward the end of the football season (no big deal). TSU's pep band was nice during the start of the basketball season. The night lowly Texas College came to Houston, the pep band was basically the entire band, including guitars. The music was exhillarating which made for a great atmosphere. Harry -Machine Gun- Kelly hit a couple of jumpers and a dunk early in the game. The crowd was hyped hyped hyped. By the end of the 1st half Kelly had about 28 points and the band played "Neck" (for short) about every time-out because drama kept on rising with each shot.
During halftime the Ocean got loose playing the song and they had a lot of freestyling by different section and definitely by the bass player. The football players started gesturing every time the song was played by placing there right hand on their neck and flapping the elbow up and down as if to immulate a mouth. By the end of the game Kelly had hit 61 (no 3 pointers) the crowd was half way on the floor everytime he touched the ball. It was an amazing night.
From that point on "Neck" was the real fight song for TSU.
Somewhere in a photo album I have pictures of that night.

Last edited:
Just so you all would know, this is how I date myself on this forum. It was 1981 the Ocean started playing "Talking Out the Side of Your Neck" toward the end of the football season (no big deal). TSU's pep band was nice during the start of the basketball season. The night lowly Texas College came to Houston, the pep band was basically the entire band, including guitars. The music was exhillarating which made for a great atmosphere. Harry -Machine Gun- Kelly hit a couple of jumpers and a dunk early in the game. The crowd was hyped hyped hyped. By the end of the 1st half Kelly had about 28 points and the band played "Neck" (for short) about every time-out because drama kept on rising with each shot.
During halftime the Ocean got loose playing the song and they had a lot of freestyling by different section and definitely by the bass player. The football players started gesturing every time the song was played by placing there right hand on their neck and flapping the elbow up and down as if to immulate a mouth. By the end of the game Kelly had hit 61 (no 3 pointers) the crowd was half way on the floor everytime he touched the ball. It was an amazing night.

Neck wasn't out in 81. LOL. In 81 Cameo had the Album Knights of the Sound Table with Freaky Dancing as the biggest cut off it. And if you listen to Freaky Dancing they give that shout out to Baton Rouge with the lyric....."And our Friends in Baton Rouge" due to number of cats in Cameo like SU's Charlie Singleton and a few others being from the boot. As a matter of fact the biggest band song off that Album in 81-82 time frame was Knights by Night. Which we played in High School. I know the Sonic Boom rocked that cut the whole year.

Just so you all would know, this is how I date myself on this forum. It was 1981 the Ocean started playing "Talking Out the Side of Your Neck" toward the end of the football season (no big deal).

1981, huh? TXSU has got some serious connections. :tup:

1981, huh? TXSU has got some serious connections. :tup:

LOL @ Soror. Yeah they got Blackmon and the gang to let them have the song before it was released a couple of years later. LOL

81' they must have got a copy as soon as the group got the idea to create the song....lmao

Neck wasn't out in 81. LOL. In 81 Cameo had the Album Knights of the Sound Table with Freaky Dancing as the biggest cut off it. And if you listen to Freaky Dancing they give that shout out to Baton Rouge with the lyric....."And our Friends in Baton Rouge" due to number of cats in Cameo like SU's Charlie Singleton and a few others being from the boot. As a matter of fact the biggest band song off that Album in 81-82 time frame was Knights by Night. Which we played in High School. I know the Sonic Boom rocked that cut the whole year.
Talkin' Out the Side of Your Neck was released on the She's Strange album in 1984 - the year AFTER I graduated from JSU.

Talkin' Out the Side of Your Neck was released on the She's Strange album in 1984 - the year AFTER I graduated from JSU.

Oh trust me Dacon, I know exactly when it was released. It was the spring on 84 at that. Same time Purple Rain was released.

This thread has run it's course....I should have never brought it back up! :smash: :lol:

Last edited:

Well thid explains it all... TSU Played their fight song in '81,and three years later Cameo stole it and called it 'Talking Out the Side of your neck'! Cameo Stole it from TSU??? Interesting theory.

This thread has run it's course.....

No it hasn't. We still gotta bleed off into other songs...then, other subjects that are barely related....then, a JSt'er has to come in not knowing what the hell he is talking about, and eventually get to the SUperior/Jax35 throwdown.

We're far from over...:tup:

Yep, we originally called it, "Throat" but Larry changed it to "Neck" for legal reasons. :lol:

:lmao::dead: nut you just killed me...but seriouly folks TSU as far as the SWAC goes was the first to play it in around 84-85 my freshman or So. year....to this today I think it is still the best rendition of the SWAC schools...in 2006 I went to a Howard/FAMU game in DC and man oh man Howard with their 135 or so person band blew the :devil2: out of that song I promise you it was at least 10 minute long and in the middle they had a mix of what sounded like Jazz and what not that I thought they were play a whole difference song but then they pick back up the neck beat and me and my girls one of which was in the Ocean fell in love with that band...plus for such a small band they had an clarity out of this world:tup:

:lmao::dead: nut you just killed me...but seriouly folks TSU as far as the SWAC goes was the first to play it in around 84-85 my freshman or So. year....to this today I think it is still the best rendition of the SWAC schools...in 2006 I went to a Howard/FAMU game in DC and man oh man Howard with their 135 or so person band blew the :devil2: out of that song I promise you it was at least 10 minute long and in the middle they had a mix of what sounded like Jazz and what not that I thought they were play a whole difference song but then they pick back up the neck beat and me and my girls one of which was in the Ocean fell in love with that band...plus for such a small band they had an clarity out of this world:tup:
This is not the same game, but this is the HU's version of the song from that year.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ynSoXzvgNEU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, I do like it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back