Where did the song "neck" come from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes indeed

Now I remember...................TEXAS SOUTHERN DID play it.
If I remember correctly, they played that bad boy highstepping out the endzone at the beginning of the show. Got to admit, that shat was cold. :lol:

Thats when they had them TRUE LADY STALLIONS on the Dance line. :eek:

Ohhhh.... the memories.

Back then, (1982-1985.....my years), JSU had some tall, thick Jaysettes.
Paula, Adrian, the TWINS, Emberly, Michelle, etc.

But I had never seen an entire line of Dancers that could stand in front of me and look me str8 in the EYE like Texas Southern had. Have not seen that since..................LAWD. :lol:

Last edited:
Okay.......time for ole JR to chime in since I was in the band during the original Talking Out the Side of your neck years.

TxSU played it before any SWAC band I can remember. SU used to play them early in the year so they unleashed that song as well as Cameo's "Tribute to Bob Marly" Those were signature songs for them and they played both of them well. We didn't play Neck back then. We became the Single Life, Attack Me with Your Love, Word Up band back then and right after my class was gone SU played Skin I In and made it a staple.

Now as far as Torture........TxSU opened up that on their drill in 84 when we played them in Rice Stadium. SU didn't have it yet. I know Doc was like what are they playing? We were like Torture........Doc looked at the assistants and said I want that written. We had it the next week :lmao:

BTW. A Cameo tidbit............SU alum and former trombone player Charlie Singleton was a member of Cameo. He played guitar and did vocals in Cameo and was a long standing member until the 90s. Also a local group with SU ties called La Connection had some other members join Cameo back then. If you listen to Freaky Dancing a 81 Cameo song..........they give a shout out to Baton Rouge...........the exact line is : " And to our friends in Baton Rouge, We all love Freaky Dancing and romancing let's do it some more"

Zeta Nu Spring 82 KKPSI line is named after that album... "Knights of the PSI Table" referencing the album name "Knights of the Sound Table"

Just a little history lesson.

I remember my brother telling me that Charlie Singleton played in SU's band. Thats why my folks had all their albums. Knights of the Sound Table is my fave.

I remember my brother telling me that Charlie Singleton played in SU's band. Thats why my folks had all their albums. Knights of the Sound Table is my fave.

Cameo had the SWAC on lockdown during that time.
Their albums never stayed in stock in Jackson. :lol:

:tup:
In 1983, Blackmon moved his base of operations to Atlanta, GA and formed his own label, Atlanta Artists, which was distributed by Polygram Records. This is how Morris Brown came into the picture. The song hit V-103 first. Larry hung out at Morris Brown alot with Prof Johnson(RIP) who was the head band director at Mo Brown for years. Prof Johnson is what Doc Gregs Su and Doc Foster Famu is to MO Brown. I remember Blackmon coming down to the band hall going over it with MBC many times. Thought I'd throw that part of history out there also.

It was '84 and in Jackson. TSU would come (came) out the end zone in company fronts on each downbeat. The dancing girls came out first, high stepping (O Lawd!!) and each front came after them. They then moved into the drill and showed out that day.

As for MB, ahhh okay.....

So I ain't saying TSU was the first, but they were the first I heard of..........

MB was the first I heard. Blackmon wrote it. Sorry ATL bands are and were ahead of oll Sipp, LA and Texas bands. :lol: Yall are today, what we were in the 60's. :lol:
It was '84 and in Jackson. TSU would come (came) out the end zone in company fronts on each downbeat. The dancing girls came out first, high stepping (O Lawd!!) and each front came after them. They then moved into the drill and showed out that day.

So I ain't saying TSU was the first, but they were the first I heard of..........

i personally think its cool that most SWAC bands play Neck then add their own twist to it. then the fans are able to connect to the songs so it gets the crowd hype.

i like txsu/uapb/su version's the most

You might want to get checked for dimentia or sometype of old man memory lost because you have lost your mine. There is no way atl bands are ahead of the JSU's, SU's, GSU's and Bama states of the swac. Get real brother.

MB was the first I heard. Blackmon wrote it. Sorry ATL bands are and were ahead of oll Sipp, LA and Texas bands. :lol: Yall are today, what we were in the 60's. :lol:

That aint never been the case Cee. 60s my arse. LOL. Houston HS bands were recording albums and isht in the late 70s and early 80s (See Forest Brook), The New Orleans HS bands were light years ahead of Atlanta HS bands just because of the shear emphasis put on music in that city. In Ms we had huge HS bands and since we had to conform to the MHSAA band standards, we developed great musicians across the board. It is a reason why Valley and JSU were great bands early on in the 60s and 70s. SU and TxSU were monsters back in the gap dating even farther back than the 70s. Mo Brown would have gotten their draws torn off them in a meet up with any one of us back in that time. Wasn't even on the radar screen. I have seen old footage of those AU center bands and the SWAC bands would have murdered them with ease. Not even close. LOL. That's why all your best talent in the ATL left for FAMU and Tn State back then. I am sure some headed to AAMU and Bama State. But FAMU and Tn State bands had the biggest reps outside of the SWAC bands. No one even heard of Mo Brown in the SWAC until the 90s.

TxSU played Neck and Tribute to Bob Marley before anybody in the SWAC. Those songs would be blowing from the Ocean. I remember it well since 84 was my crab year in the Juke and our first game was in Rice Stadium against TxSU.

JR, ask your Juke alumni DJ to post the tape against BTW in Atlanta and St. Augstine in 1986 at the MLK parade. :lol: They had nothing to hang with us on. Yeah they were nice and it was a nice battle, but they weren't ready. :lol: An Mo Brwon was putting it on FAMU and TNSU back in the 70's and 80's. :lol:
That aint never been the case Cee. 60s my arse. LOL. Houston HS bands were recording albums and isht in the late 70s and early 80s (See Forest Brook), The New Orleans HS bands were light years ahead of Atlanta HS bands just because of the shear emphasis put on music in that city. In Ms we had huge HS bands and since we had to conform to the MHSAA band standards, we developed great musicians across the board. It is a reason why Valley and JSU were great bands early on in the 60s and 70s. SU and TxSU were monsters back in the gap dating even farther back than the 70s. Mo Brown would have gotten their draws torn off them in a meet up with any one of us back in that time. Wasn't even on the radar screen. I have seen old footage of those AU center bands and the SWAC bands would have murdered them with ease. Not even close. LOL. That's why all your best talent in the ATL left for FAMU and Tn State back then. I am sure some headed to AAMU and Bama State. But FAMU and Tn State bands had the biggest reps outside of the SWAC bands. No one even heard of Mo Brown in the SWAC until the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back