Where did the song "neck" come from

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not a problem to ask. I just wanted to know why it was important on who played it first.

Too often on this board do we argue over petty, meaningless things just to claim some kind of 'bragging rights'--- such as who played a popular song first.

Trust me, I didnt come in here trying to start anything. I want info to put my neighbor in check today.

Thats all....................

I think we were the first one to play it.....waiting on Docmump to chime in.

Lock,
The first Band I ever heard play Neck was Texas Southern. It's just here by recently that we hear it more and more by different bands.

I've heard PV, Gramb, and Su. play Neck and I like TxSU Version the best.

No, it's not a problem to ask. I just wanted to know why it was important on who played it first.

Too often on this board do we argue over petty, meaningless things just to claim some kind of 'bragging rights'--- such as who played a popular song first.

....yeen liein' about that Crit, and I'm guilty of it too, least times. lol

I've never understood why we as black folks are soooo competitive.

"Snake"

I first heard it during Willie Totten's senior year when they played Grambing at the Rob. I think that was like 1985 or so... It might have started somewhere else but that's where I heard it first.

I've never understood why when someone asks a simple question that requires a simple answer, people make more of it than it really is.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, that su played it first. Alot of bigger universities are trying to change their styles up. I noticed univ of cinncinatti, their percussion section is really getting jiggy with it, also south carorlina, florida, and others. lsu has to copy some form of krunkness to hype up their fans. I mean, always hearing about southern, I don't blame them. But I'm a fan of both. I went to Greenvill High School, but i still like corp style music, ex: Miss State, their percussion section is nice

Bishop College played Neck first in 1932 prior to Cameo recording it. Cameo heard Bishop play it versus Southern. Bishop played it in the first quarter and Dr. Isaac Greggs, who was 5 years old at the time, created a version of it during the second quarter... By halftime Southern was blowing the sh*t out of it. Two Cameo band members heard it and went and recorded it.

*cough*

Sinceraly,

SUtrp96

LSU needs to STOP playing it. Talk about taking all of the FUNK out of the song.

:lmao:

My sister said the same exact thing! She HATES to hear them play it and goes into orbit whenever they show the crowd trying to wave their hand like we do. And she is the calm, rationale one in the family! :emlaugh: I told her that to her it is like Leontyne Price singing Precious Lord instead of Aretha Franklin!

Crit, do you remember that some of the JSU people said Southern's band played Neck TOO MUCH? One of the girls I can't remember which one actually counted. We were all saying that the Jagfans love it and it pumps us up, but several folk put the Human Jukebox down because they played it too much? I was like WTF? Why does it matter to you, if they are playing what their crowd likes, they can play it 100 times? :retard:

It's just in us I guess! :noidea:

delock: go slap your neighbor with this good info! I love TSU's version of Neck!

Co-Sign.

As to who played it first?...I don't remember and don't care. But I have always thought of that song as one of TSU's "signature" songs.

Along with "Torture" when we enter the stadium and what everyone calls "JJ's Revenge" from Coming to America.

Along with "Torture" when we enter the stadium and what everyone calls "JJ's Revenge" from Coming to America.

Now I'm gonna disagree with you on Torture........It was played at the State Fair in the fall of 84.....

My old high school band director graduated from Valley back in the day and he claimed that Valley was the first band to play Neck.

Crit, do you remember that some of the JSU people said Southern's band played Neck TOO MUCH? One of the girls I can't remember which one actually counted. We were all saying that the Jagfans love it and it pumps us up, but several folk put the Human Jukebox down because they played it too much? I was like WTF? Why does it matter to you, if they are playing what their crowd likes, they can play it 100 times? :retard:

It's just in us I guess! :noidea:

Yep! :nod: I like SU's version of Neck though.

I've never been a fan of SU version and this is not smack... I was listening to them play it in the Superdome and was like:smh:

I like the uniqueness that everyone has in their version of Neck, but I WISH someone would play it more closely to the original. Some of these versions, I can't even tell it's Neck anymore until they start chanting.

I like SU's version, but to me, it's not even Neck. It just has Neck sampled in there somewhere.

^^^ I think thats the fun of the whole thing. The song has taken on a new life and everyone wants to one up the other with their new mutation lol.

^^^ I think thats the fun of the whole thing. The song has taken on a new life and everyone wants to one up the other with their new mutation lol.

And that's what I like about it. It's always fun to hear all the different versions. But when they crank it up, I don't identify it with Neck anymore. Speaking of which, does TxSU even play it anymore? Seems as though I haven't heard it in a while.

I like the uniqueness that everyone has in their version of Neck, but I WISH someone would play it more closely to the original. Some of these versions, I can't even tell it's Neck anymore until they start chanting.

I like SU's version, but to me, it's not even Neck. It just has Neck sampled in there somewhere.

It's just something about it... It's does not soud right to me

Okay.......time for ole JR to chime in since I was in the band during the original Talking Out the Side of your neck years.

TxSU played it before any SWAC band I can remember. SU used to play them early in the year so they unleashed that song as well as Cameo's "Tribute to Bob Marly" Those were signature songs for them and they played both of them well. We didn't play Neck back then. We became the Single Life, Attack Me with Your Love, Word Up band back then and right after my class was gone SU played Skin I In and made it a staple.

Now as far as Torture........TxSU opened up that on their drill in 84 when we played them in Rice Stadium. SU didn't have it yet. I know Doc was like what are they playing? We were like Torture........Doc looked at the assistants and said I want that written. We had it the next week :lmao:

BTW. A Cameo tidbit............SU alum and former trombone player Charlie Singleton was a member of Cameo. He played guitar and did vocals in Cameo and was a long standing member until the 90s. Also a local group with SU ties called La Connection had some other members join Cameo back then. If you listen to Freaky Dancing a 81 Cameo song..........they give a shout out to Baton Rouge...........the exact line is : " And to our friends in Baton Rouge, We all love Freaky Dancing and romancing let's do it some more"

Zeta Nu Spring 82 KKPSI line is named after that album... "Knights of the PSI Table" referencing the album name "Knights of the Sound Table"

Just a little history lesson.

In 1983, Blackmon moved his base of operations to Atlanta, GA and formed his own label, Atlanta Artists, which was distributed by Polygram Records. This is how Morris Brown came into the picture. The song hit V-103 first. Larry hung out at Morris Brown alot with Prof Johnson(RIP) who was the head band director at Mo Brown for years. Prof Johnson is what Doc Gregs Su and Doc Foster Famu is to MO Brown. I remember Blackmon coming down to the band hall going over it with MBC many times. Thought I'd throw that part of history out there also.

Okay.......time for ole JR to chime in since I was in the band during the original Talking Out the Side of your neck years.

TxSU played it before any SWAC band I can remember. SU used to play them early in the year so they unleashed that song as well as Cameo's "Tribute to Bob Marly" Those were signature songs for them and they played both of them well. We didn't play Neck back then. We became the Single Life, Attack Me with Your Love, Word Up band back then and right after my class was gone SU played Skin I In and made it a staple.

Now as far as Torture........TxSU opened up that on their drill in 84 when we played them in Rice Stadium. SU didn't have it yet. I know Doc was like what are they playing? We were like Torture........Doc looked at the assistants and said I want that written. We had it the next week :lmao:

BTW. A Cameo tidbit............SU alum and former trombone player Charlie Singleton was a member of Cameo. He played guitar and did vocals in Cameo and was a long standing member until the 90s. Also a local group with SU ties called La Connection had some other members join Cameo back then. If you listen to Freaky Dancing a 81 Cameo song..........they give a shout out to Baton Rouge...........the exact line is : " And to our friends in Baton Rouge, We all love Freaky Dancing and romancing let's do it some more"

Zeta Nu Spring 82 KKPSI line is named after that album... "Knights of the PSI Table" referencing the album name "Knights of the Sound Table"

Just a little history lesson.

In 1983, Blackmon moved his base of operations to Atlanta, GA and formed his own label, Atlanta Artists, which was distributed by Polygram Records. This is how Morris Brown came into the picture. The song hit V-103 first. Larry hung out at Morris Brown alot with Prof Johnson(RIP) who was the head band director at Mo Brown for years. Prof Johnson is what Doc Gregs Su and Doc Foster Famu is to MO Brown. I remember Blackmon coming down to the band hall going over it with MBC many times. Thought I'd throw that part of history out there also.

Good info guys!

And I am a little older than you JR :swink: and Cameo was one of the opening bands for our homecoming dance in 78 or 79 and it was recorded! That concert was a stone gas baby. :swink: In 1976, my freshman year, the Human Jukebox played Ohio Players Skin Tight the entire fourth quarter, they were ON FIRE! (pun intended)

I love TSU playing Neck, their name OCEAN OF SOUL, the symbol on the capes and I love the Boom playing Get Ready and the Doug E Fresh song and I love Bama State's ESPN theme and I love Alcorn's drum majors MUY CALIENTE :kiss: and MS Valley's National Anthem (the way the played it in the 70s and early 80s) and PV's drills and FAMU's drum cadence. The rest of the bands I can't find a thing they do that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back