What is the Greatest Moment in Alcorn State Men's Basketball History?

Hi Braves Fans,

I am writing a comprehensive book entitled, “Moments of Glory: The Greatest Moments in Every Division I Team's College Basketball History” – and I need your help!

In a posted response on this thread, can you describe your choice for Alcorn State’s most glorious moment in their College Basketball history??? A “moment” can be a special, memorable play, game or season from the team’s past, or even a super-human individual performance by a player. Please be sure to consider any vintage moments that go back to the early days of Braves basketball, as well as more recent moments that you think qualify as “momentous”.

You can as brief or as detailed in your response as you want to be. Every response counts ….. so I’d love to you hear from each of you! Thanks for your input!!!

Let’s Go Braves,

Vince the Roundball Writer

There are a lot of moments when it comes to Brave basketball the one that raise to the top of "MY" list is going undefeated and being the first HBCU to get invited to the NIT, go to Starkville and beat Miss. State.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There are a lot of moments when it comes to Brave basketball the one that raise to the top of "MY" list is going undefeated and being the first HBCU to get invited to the NIT, go to Starkville and beat Miss. State.

yep that was the "Who Dat" Braves chant year

It would have to be the either the undefeated season with the NIT win, or the year after. Which was the 1 loss season which changed the landscape of NCAA basketball by allowing HBCU's to compete in the NCAA Tourney. The Braves proved worthy by also becoming the first HBCU to earn a NCAA bid and win against South Alabama.

Dave Whitney "The Wiz" utilized a unbearable full court press. He went on to coach on the USA Olympic team with Bobby Knight. This relationship between the two coaches came after Alcorn had suffered a 4 point loss to eventual NIT Champion Indiana, a game which the Braves led at halftime.

Those Alcorn teams were no joke. Whitney could flat out coach. They had talent and were fundamentally sound. Mississippi State had beaten LSU in Baton Rouge right after the Tigers won the SEC with a win over Alabama. If it had been in 1980 when more teams were in the NCAA tournament or 1985 when it had 64, the Bulldogs would have been in the tournament. The team that Alcorn beat in the NIT was that good.

The SWAC was strong during those days. TSU may have had the best team during that era when they won the national title in 1977 (link).

Last edited:
Back