What do you like in your gumbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MightyDog

Leave the tail on. :nod2:

OIC.

When I prepare a gumbo, I buy the shrimp already pealed and cleaned. If I clean the shrimp myself, I don't leave the tail on. Causes to much work when eating it.

Leave the tail on the shrimp in a gumbo? Eat shrimp without deveining it? :vomit: Just the thought of watching you put your hands in the bowl to get the shrimp, peel it and then put it in your mouth without deveining it is...just...just :vomit: YUCK!

I am taking down these names to make sure I NEVER eat gumbo that you prepare! I rarely eat gumbo that other people cook. And before I order it at restaurants, I ask for a sample before I order.

Mighty Dog, don't curse me like that, I wasn't born in no dayum Mississippi. If there is somthing that lousiana ranks 49th in, you can bet who is probably holding down that 50th spot.

I was born in Calif. and lived there most of my younger years. I do eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but not that crunchy peanut butter, it gotta be smooth. You gotta mix the peanut butter and jelly up in a bowl first, and mix it real good, then put it on the bread. Then fix some red or purple kool-aid (kool-aid ain't got no flavors, just colors). Sometimes I add some syrup to it. But not any syrup, none of that weak, runny stuff. Gotta be Ms. Butterworth or Log cabin, or that thick stuff in a can my Grandmother used ta have. Now that's some good eating.

Some folks make the roux like a damn think soup. If I wanted that I would request soup.

The roux has not too thin but thick enough to cling on to the seafood. And I prefer lump crabmeat (too dang much in the stores now), a few crabs, shrimp, sausage, okra, green onion, garlic)

Only chicken I prefer is chicken breast pieces.

Originally posted by cat daddy

OIC.

When I prepare a gumbo, I buy the shrimp already pealed and cleaned. If I clean the shrimp myself, I don't leave the tail on. Causes to much work when eating it.

CD, eating shrimp with the tail on is like eating a prunes with seeds. You place the prune in the mouth and chew around the seed. You discard the seed. The same method is used when eating shrimp with the tail.

Lewis, mixing PB and Jelly in a bowl. How much do you put on two slices of bread? Now I do understand the Kool Aid, because if you eat a PB and Jelly Sandwich with a carbonated soda you create an acidic effect. The peanut is nothing to play with or abuse.

I don't know how gumbo should taste, but that I have tasetd seem like the rouix was burnt. For all you Gumbo experts, the question is can you burn the rouix?

Originally posted by cat daddy

How do you devein shrimp, but leave the shells on??? :confused:

Take your kitchen cooking sheers (scissors from your cutlery set)stick the point in and cut through the back part of the shell. Take your paring knife and cut along the vein thru the slit that you made with the sheers. Take the point of the knife and scrape that vein out. Rince and return to bowl with ice (shell intact)until you have completed this portion.

Originally posted by MightyDog
For all you Gumbo experts, the question is can you burn the rouix?

Yes, you can burn roux. It is cooked slowly and must be watched and stirred constantly so that it does not burn. The nastiest gumbo you can ever tastes is one made with burnt roux.

Originally posted by STRAWDOG

Take your kitchen cooking sheers (scissors from your cutlery set)stick the point in and cut through the back part of the shell. Take your paring knife and cut along the vein thru the slit that you made with the sheers. Take the point of the knife and scrape that vein out. Rince and return to bowl with ice (shell intact)until you have completed this portion.

In God's Country (S Louisiana) we do not leave the shells on shrimp in gumbo. :D

Lewis, mixing PB and Jelly in a bowl. How much do you put on two slices of bread? Now I do understand the Kool Aid, because if you eat a PB and Jelly Sandwich with a carbonated soda you create an acidic effect. The peanut is nothing to play with or abuse.
You can't just make 1 sandwich, you gotta make a bunch of them. For one thing, I ain't sharing mine, so be glad I make enough for you to have your own.<br>BTW, since you talking food, what's on the menu for the tailgate in Baton Rouge this year??? I know you are going to do it up before we beat yall down. Are yall gonna kill the hog before you leave huntsville or bring it down in a trailer first so it will be fresh?????

Originally posted by Lewis
You can't just make 1 sandwich, you gotta make a bunch of them. For one thing, I ain't sharing mine, so be glad I make enough for you to have your own.<br>BTW, since you talking food, what's on the menu for the tailgate in Baton Rouge this year??? I know you are going to do it up before we beat yall down. Are yall gonna kill the hog before you leave huntsville or bring it down in a trailer first so it will be fresh?????

Lewis, fish, porkchops, beef hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, roadkill stew (made by Roy from the boot) and green apples.

SS, the roux dominated the gumbo and now I am convienced that it was burnt.

Should gumbo be eaten on the same day as prepared or let it season overnight?

Lots of onions. No celery, not too much pork and definitely NO clams or oysters.

Everything else is fair game.

I dunno how I missed this, but...

I am also from Southern Louisiana and I know that there are a variety of GUMBO's...

for instance, I am from the Morgan City area (close to Houma/Thibodeaux and less than an hour from Lafayette) and I can tell you that there are six different types of da "BO"

1) Andouille
2) Seafood
3) File (pronounced FEE-lay)
4) Chicken
5) Chicken and Seafood
6) Trash

Folks that live in the St. James area shocked me with the gumbo and potato salad....MIXED!!! Ummm, just can't seem to get with that one, but to each his own!!!

Most of you have covered what is in da "BO", but most are tight mixtures with a special flavor. As you can tell, I will now talk about the one that probably has everyone askin'...."What da hell is TRASH gumbo?"

Trash "BO" IS that gumbo (as my dear Mother would say) where an individual goes through their refrigerator and cleans it out of things like salt pork, any and all kinds of sausages (including hot and vienna sausages), weiners, bologna, pepper sausage...get the picture? It is the gumbo where you have to think twice about eating because there is WAY TOO MUCH STUFF floating in the pot!!! That stuff is common amongst the folks here in Eastern Louisiana...specifically St. Tammany Parish. This far east, people tend to add a lots of tomato paste/sauce, also. I ain't down with the tomato stuff or the mystery meats. Folks will adjust a gumbo to their liking and there ain't no harm in that, but I ain't down with it.

The seafood gumbo ALWAYS has crab and/or crabmeat in it with either dried shrimp and/or fresh shrimp. Throw in some andouille sausages, a lil file', an ooooooooo ya ya mi cest ....um um!!!

Folks in the NOLA specialize in the seafood and chicken gumbo...throw in those neck bones and talk about...I digress.

However, some of the best gumbo I have ever tasted happens to be in the Acadiana parishes (Lafayette areas). They have the right amount of seasoning that makes you think twice about why a bay leaf is floating in your bowl. UMMMMM!!!! It can be as spicy as you imagine or tame enough for the old folks and kids.
:tup:

"However, some of the best gumbo I have ever tasted happens to be in the Acadiana parishes (Lafayette areas). They have the right amount of seasoning that makes you think twice about why a bay leaf is floating in your bowl. UMMMMM!!!! It can be as spicy as you imagine or tame enough for the old folks and kids."

DITTO.......................If you don't know............You betta ask somebody!

Dude, gumbo ain't nothing but dish water. And I don't eat/drink nobody's dish water...which means I don eat nobody's gumbo.

That isht is nasty! :smh:

Originally posted by Justin
Lots of onions. No celery, not too much pork and definitely NO clams or oysters.

Everything else is fair game.

There is not a monolithic ingredients. Some people use celery and oysters.

Originally posted by SAME OLD G
Dude, gumbo ain't nothing but dish water. And I don't eat/drink nobody's dish water...which means I don eat nobody's gumbo.

That isht is nasty! :smh:

If someone gave you dish water it sounds like you were in an abusive environment.:swink:

:vomit: @ coarsely ground peanuts

SOG, I agree that some gumbo taste like dirty dish water. Well actually I say taste, but I mean LOOKS because I don't eat that sheit. You have not had well made gumbo with quality ingredients. That phugg up sheit with weiners and bologna and necks and :vomit: burnt roux and no seasoning and all that stuff is very nasty. But I am not trying to convince you to eat gumbo and like it. It may not be what you eat. That's a preference, like me...I hate strawberries. No matter how you present them, even covered with my beloved CHOCOLATE, I cannot stand the taste of strawberries. One Valentine's Day, Punch bought me a huge box of Godiva chocolate covered strawberries and I like thank you sweetie and managed to eat one but YUCK!

I was reared properly, so I don't say they are nasty, because other people quite enjoy them...my son will eat cartons of them at a time...I simply say I don't like the way they taste and refuse to eat them. I guess this is a WHOLE NUTHER THREAD! :D

Jaguar Diehard: Minus the neckbones... I have had something similar called GOULASHE...errr Goolosh... I can't spell it right, but you know what I am talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back