What do you like in your gumbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by sophandros
File' is required.

If you don't know, then you never will and your life will forever be miserable.

Take the blue & pink pill......hurry:rolly:

I don't eat no Gumbo. Gumbo is just a pot of greasy water with a bunch of isht that you wouldn't eat if it was on a plate by itself. You just hide it in that greasy water. Like hog balls and shrimp heads and stuff.

I don't know about some of you, but like Sophandros, I'm from New Orleans, and I was raised on 2 different types of Gumbo.

One being, File` Gumbo, and the other Okra Gumbo. So, if I'm eating FG, I don't want no dayum okra, or weiners in my Gumbo ya ya.

I don't know where you're from, or what somebody pawned off on some of you as gumbo, but bacon, and fish, is not on any gumbo that I know of.

Chef Paul, Emeril, and Leah Chase don't send help, send these people some recipes quick.

NICE

Originally posted by D-NICE
I don't know about some of you, but like Sophandros, I'm from New Orleans, and I was raised on 2 different types of Gumbo.

One being, File` Gumbo, and the other Okra Gumbo. So, if I'm eating FG, I don't want no dayum okra, or weiners in my Gumbo ya ya.

NICE

Same here............The Best Gumbos I have taste have been in New Orleans & Acadiana

In many other places people attempt to make it but do a poor job.

Re: Re: What do you like in your gumbo?

Originally posted by Seeing Spots
Shrimp (deveined), crabmeat (and a few crabs, broken in half), sausage, chicken (skinless), okra, roux.

Weiners? YUCK! :tdown:

Ok...what is roux?

Okra is native to Africa. Not Louisiana.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you like in your gumbo?

Originally posted by jag4life

Roux is the base of the gumbo or any gravy that is made from scratch using flour.

See, that is when you know what you're doing right there. :)

Lewis: GO find somewhere and sitchoarse down! Yo family just don't know how to make gumbo. :D

Uhhh, Derrick: Send them to Dukey Chase... LOL

Vinita: I haven't figured that out yet.

No Okra, but pigs ears, tails and feet will be just find. Put plenty of pepper in it. I like plenty of pepper just like I liked my women back in the day. Super Hot.

Gotta' have that okra and VEINED shrimp, crab parts, pig snout, and everything else that was in the kitchen at that time when that roux is started! I want the VEINS in the shrimp 'cause I wanna' taste what they were eating when I eat them! LOL :emlaugh: I don't particularly care for chicken in my gumbo (but will eat it like that). My folx were country-wannabe-creole types, so they normally threw some of everything up in the gumbo. LOL

Re: Re: Re: What do you like in your gumbo?

Originally posted by pbla

Ok...what is roux?

Okra is native to Africa. Not Louisiana.

and all my life I thought Okra was native to France.

Ms. Jag4Jag: My mom don't even cook no gumbo. But she is a good cook. I done seen other people's gumbo though, and I spend most of my time asking, what is that, well what's that floating around over there, what's that that just sunk to the bottom, what part of the pig did that come from, looks like that thing is still swimming, is it dead or did yall cook it alive.

I ain't eating nothing if i don't know what it is.

File is powdered Sassafras (forgive the mispelling). It is dark green in color and it is to be springled on top of the gumbo and stirred in.

Don't put my okra in the gumbo. Just fry it hard and put it on the side. Thank youvery much.

Kema, I'll be in town this weekend. If you're fixin gumbo, call a brother.

Originally posted by Lewis
Ms. Jag4Jag: My mom don't even cook no gumbo. But she is a good cook. I done seen other people's gumbo though, and I spend most of my time asking, what is that, well what's that floating around over there, what's that that just sunk to the bottom, what part of the pig did that come from, looks like that thing is still swimming, is it dead or did yall cook it alive.

Boi I wonder about you sometimes. LOL! :emlaugh: They gonna' revoke your LA. license if you continue talking like that. :D

Justin Wilson, send help!!!!!

1. Slow Cooked Rouix
2. Onions, Celery, Bell Peppers
3. Good Stock (combination of fish, shrimp, crabshells, Oyster Liquer, Chicken Stock, with just a hint of Vegetable Stock or a cup of V8 Juice)
4. Chicken
5. Sausage(andouille, smoked, or polish)
6. Crab(cleaned shells and all)
7. shrimp(deveined but leave shells on)
8. OKRA
9. Oysters

After it simmers for a while, get some good French Bread, and a Jethro sized bowl full with rice on top, take your shoes and socks off, sit down and rub your feet and toes together as you eat this wonderful culinary delight.

CAUTION: Be Careful.......YOUR TONGUE COULD SLAP YOUR BRAINS OUT!!

What's the deal w/ y'all and deveined shrimp? :confused: Y'all don't wanna' taste those sediments? :confused:

BTW, good recipe Straw (especially the oyster and okra parts :tup: )

Originally posted by Lewis

Hey Lewis, I know you told me that you was borned in Mississippi, and that is the reason you don't eat crawfish, but to be around so much Gumbo and you will not eat it, makes me wonder if you will eat a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

Originally posted by STRAWDOG
1. Slow Cooked Rouix
2. Onions, Celery, Bell Peppers
3. Good Stock (combination of fish, shrimp, crabshells, Oyster Liquer, Chicken Stock, with just a hint of Vegetable Stock or a cup of V8 Juice)
4. Chicken
5. Sausage(andouille, smoked, or polish)
6. Crab(cleaned shells and all)
7.shrimp(deveined but leave shells on)
8. OKRA
9. Oysters

After it simmers for a while, get some good French Bread, and a Jethro sized bowl full with rice on top, take your shoes and socks off, sit down and rub your feet and toes together as you eat this wonderful culinary delight.

CAUTION: Be Careful.......YOUR TONGUE COULD SLAP YOUR BRAINS OUT!!

How do you devein shrimp, but leave the shells on??? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back