Verizon iPhone or HTC Thunderbolt? Which one should I get?

BP,

Not trying to start anything is just I don't play games on a phone anymore mostly because of my eyesight. *So, my question is what games can be played on a Android phone that's so good it's like playing on a console. *Also, who is developing these games? *If they are that good, there is more money in developing games for iOS. *It has been well documented that their is no money in making games for Android, so where is the incentive other than a hobby?

I looked all over the net including a lot of Android forums and even most of the posters there say iOS games are better....just curious.

I currently don't play much of them on phones either. Thats why I said IF. For some people its a big thing though so I thought I'd toss it out there. I'll wait for them to start pushing the games out to a TV screen with your phone then becoming a controller and second screen.

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=12337

Now do you think THE graphics chip maker is going to open a game store with no games? Thats been the whole point of introducing these Tegra 2 processors. For a person interested in mobile gaming at a console level thats where you should most likely put your money. And they've already started talking about their Tegra 3 processors.

Then theres also
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/01/27/playstation-suite-sony-brings-playstation-games-to-android-phones/
...bringing PlayStation games to Android which will most likely piggyback off the processing power of the Tegra 2.

And then for folks that want real controllers...
http://androidcommunity.com/sony-ericsson-confirms-xperia-play-debut-on-february-13-2011-20110207/

Now I don't know what you've read but I don't think Rovio is making 1 million per month on iOS like they are on Android. And the major shops that have held out have only done so because the native code interfaces just weren't there to build the games the way they wanted to. They are there now. I really haven't seen any of the majors bring up money as a reason. And it hasn't stopped EA from releasing games like Need for Speed and others, all of the Gameloft games or Dungeon Defenders (built on the Unreal Engine for Android...same engine that powers stuff from Infinity Blade to Gears of War) on the platform as it is.

So I'm not really seeing any lack of current or near future gaming options for those interested in that. With Nvidia and Sony driving the market I'd say Android is quickly becoming the place to be and thats why I said that about the Droid Bionic...its a Tegra 2 phone. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD feels the pressure to jump in too before Nvidia has the market on lock. The more the merrier.

I currently don't play much of them on phones either. Thats why I said IF. For some people its a big thing though so I thought I'd toss it out there. I'll wait for them to start pushing the games out to a TV screen with your phone then becoming a controller and second screen.

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=12337

Now do you think THE graphics chip maker is going to open a game store with no games? Thats been the whole point of introducing these Tegra 2 processors. For a person interested in mobile gaming at a console level thats where you should most likely put your money. And they've already started talking about their Tegra 3 processors.

Then theres also
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/01/27/playstation-suite-sony-brings-playstation-games-to-android-phones/
...bringing PlayStation games to Android which will most likely piggyback off the processing power of the Tegra 2.

And then for folks that want real controllers...
http://androidcommunity.com/sony-ericsson-confirms-xperia-play-debut-on-february-13-2011-20110207/

Now I don't know what you've read but I don't think Rovio is making 1 million per month on iOS like they are on Android. And the major shops that have held out have only done so because the native code interfaces just weren't there to build the games the way they wanted to. They are there now. I really haven't seen any of the majors bring up money as a reason. And it hasn't stopped EA from releasing games like Need for Speed and others, all of the Gameloft games or Dungeon Defenders (built on the Unreal Engine for Android...same engine that powers stuff from Infinity Blade to Gears of War) on the platform as it is.

So I'm not really seeing any lack of current or near future gaming options for those interested in that. With Nvidia and Sony driving the market I'd say Android is quickly becoming the place to be and thats why I said that about the Droid Bionic...its a Tegra 2 phone. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD feels the pressure to jump in too before Nvidia has the market on lock. The more the merrier.

I talk to about 50 customers a day....5 days a week... Ive NEVER had a customer talk about any of these things you are talking about..... Like I said the percentage of people who are in as deep as you and Marcus are is very low. People just want to make a call and get on the internet.

I talk to about 50 customers a day....5 days a week... Ive NEVER had a customer talk about any of these things you are talking about..... Like I said the percentage of people who are in as deep as you and Marcus are is very low. People just want to make a call and get on the internet.

~raises hand~

I don't make the claim that most people do. Even techies say they don't care for gaming on a small screen. He asked me about the gaming situation on the platform so I explained it. Now I'd doubt Nvidia and Sony would be investing like they are if no one played them. So somebody has to be playing them. *shrugs* Mind you they don't have to know the details I just talked about to get into the games either. All they know is "Dayum I got some Halo type game on my phone". Then again the Nintendo DS and PSP sell like crazy so yea...theres obviously a market.

You also have to realize... the folk interested in stuff like gaming or that know specifics of processors etc aren't going to be calling Verizon support or customer service. At that level most folk either figure it out for themselves if its support or handle as much of their customer service over the internet as possible. Those that do call in probably figure you don't keep up with the stuff so they don't bother to mention it. I know I have had a few occasions in tech stores where the sales people leave me alone because they see I have researched far beyond their sales pitch. :lol: So I don't bother trying to strike convos with them about stuff.

Last edited:
I don't make the claim that most people do. Even techies say they don't care for gaming on a small screen. He asked me about the gaming situation on the platform so I explained it. Now I'd doubt Nvidia and Sony would be investing like they are if no one played them. So somebody has to be playing them. *shrugs* Mind you they don't have to know the details I just talked about to get into the games either. All they know is "Dayum I got some Halo type game on my phone". Then again the Nintendo DS and PSP sell like crazy so yea...theres obviously a market.

You also have to realize... the folk interested in stuff like gaming or that know specifics of processors etc aren't going to be calling Verizon support or customer service. At that level most folk either figure it out for themselves if its support or handle as much of their customer service over the internet as possible. Those that do call in probably figure you don't keep up with the stuff so they don't bother to mention it. I know I have had a few occasions in tech stores where the sales people leave me alone because they see I have researched far beyond their sales pitch. :lol: So I don't bother trying to strike convos with them about stuff.

That's what generally happens when I walk in the store. :lol:

True.. I dont think ive ever called customer service or tech support unless it was something about my plan. Most of them are clueless when it comes to the tech side of the phone. But you can look at sites like XDA, PPCgeeks, android central and android forums and see that there is a huge community of people that do use their phones for more than just talk and text.

I'm two days in with my Verizon iPhone and I can tell the differences between the iPhone and the Android. I think I can just about post a topic here that discusses the differences between the two and which one I think is better.

I'm two days in with my Verizon iPhone and I can tell the differences between the iPhone and the Android. I think I can just about post a topic here that discusses the differences between the two and which one I think is better.

oooookkkkkk....

Come on tech folks...Help a sister out? I watched the Thunderbolt debut livesteam at CES and it's fire! But now the iphone is on Verizon... Which one should I get?

Have you decided yet?

The Iphone came out last week and the Thunderbolt is rumored to come out on Feb 24th.

Yall let me know how you like the Thunderbolt. If it's as good as I hope it is, I might consider getting one at full price...depending on how much it is.

Full price is supoose to be over $700......

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XNH_l8EIZTw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XNH_l8EIZTw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

One thing reviewers don't really point out about Android is that if you ever decide to switch to another Android device almost everything on your phone automatically moves with you. You get tired of your Thunderbolt and want to buy the hot new phone with a physical keyboard and all you have to do is log into that phone with your Google account and all your contacts that you stored via Google and all your apps immediately start loading onto that new phone right over the intenet. Even some apps port the data you save in them over to your new phone. You're never locked into any piece of hardware.

One thing reviewers don't really point out about Android is that if you ever decide to switch to another Android device almost everything on your phone automatically moves with you. You get tired of your Thunderbolt and want to buy the hot new phone with a physical keyboard and all you have to do is log into that phone with your Google account and all your contacts that you stored via Google and all your apps immediately start loading onto that new phone right over the intenet. Even some apps port the data you save in them over to your new phone. You're never locked into any piece of hardware.

:tup:

you do know the iphone works the same exact way right? Signing in to google will get you your contacts just like on a android device.

you do know the iphone works the same exact way right? Signing in to google will get you your contacts just like on a android device.

….And your apps that you have purchase will load to your new device also once you connect to iTunes on your computer. Even if you are going from one iOS device to another, for instance an iPhone to an iPad. I changed android phones and had to re-install all my apps again. That was too much trouble.

Damn a iphone aka smartphone for dummies. Whats the pricing on the Thunderbolt data going to be?

they been so hush hush on this thunderbolt that we dont even know the exact date that its coming out.... soon as i find something out I will let u know.

they been so hush hush on this thunderbolt that we dont even know the exact date that its coming out.... soon as i find something out I will let u know.

One rumor that I've heard is that it's suppose to be released on March 4th. Not sure if that's true...

Back