Tyler Perry's "For Colored Girls" Trailer

A Family That Preys is another movie where the black men were portrayed in a positive way; it was the woman (Sanaa Lathan's character) who was the bad one. In that movie, both Tyler Perry's character and Rockmond Dunbar's characters were hard-working, devoted husbands.

In the move, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Shemar Moore's character was a positive brother who showed his woman how to love again.

In Madea's Family Reunion, Boris Kodjoe's character was a devoted father (whose ex wife LEFT him and the kid) who showed his woman how to love and trust again.

In Why Did I Get Married movies, most of the brothers in that film were devoted fathers and husbands.

ALL of those roles were major characters in the movies. Ya'll see what ya'll wanna see. :lol:

hmmm....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was about to say this...But in the original, the men although referred to, did not play principle roles in the production.

That's why I don't want to see the movie because to me actually including the male characters takes away from the integrity(sp) of the original production.

All I know is DR. GSUAKA93 is beautiful. She is truly a good looking woman. Man I would spend all my lil loot going to the movies with her, might not pay attention to the movie, but I would be broke and happy just being there with her. :lol:

All I know is DR. GSUAKA93 is beautiful. She is truly a good looking woman. Man I would spend all my lil loot going to the movies with her, might not pay attention to the movie, but I would be broke and happy just being there with her. :lol:

right these dudes up here arguing over why a millionaire is making more money while this luscious ass fine women posting in this thread

uhh Cee you like one of my uncles that raised me but i'll stump u over that drgsulady; im the only that can make her skeewee; whew lawd at that new avatar; just fine as bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit

Have yall ever heard an AKA "skeewee" during sex when she cums? That is one of the most amazing sounds ever.

A close second is Zeta's pur...

I'm going to go, to some of these local play castings and
see if I can get a role as the light skin knight in shining armor
lol....

Was the one good guy light skinned or dark skinned?

Funny, :).... But I think he would be considered to be about my skin color...... and one thing I've never been accused of is being light skinneded

That's why I don't want to see the movie because to me actually including the male characters takes away from the integrity(sp) of the original production.

You know, I was thinking the same thing but Tyler Perry did a fantastic job of incorporating the male characters.... Either TP really is a great writer or the male actors were just fantastic artists and realized that their parts were secondary to the female roles..... The male roles in no way overshadowed the true intent of the original piece...

Cee Dog said:
All I know is DR. GSUAKA93 is beautiful.
luvdaboom said:
whew lawd at that new avatar; just fine as bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit

Awww....Y'all a mess! Tyler Perry needs to cast you all in his next movie. Y'all can be the hardworking, child supporting, good brothers he seems (according to y'all) to neglect in his movies.... :lol:

Mane, to "L" with all this back and forth on shat we aint go agree on...did any of dem women get Neckit??? I wanna see em all butt neckit and oily!! Uhh, except Whoopi of course.

:D

No it's not just Tyler doing it. It's others too. The argument folks are having with films and books like these are-why are these sorry brothers showscased all the time?

We got into an argument at school over this and the women claimed no one wants to write about those hard workling, child supporting brothers. I had to tell them theose stories are out there. You just have to look for them. Wal-Mart, Target, Barnes & Nobles and others won't have them in stock.

The point is all this black male bashing-why isn't anyoine looking at these females that won't stop running after them? You can't be done wrong when you take that mess from a man.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
No it's not just Tyler doing it. It's others too. The argument folks are having with films and books like these are-why are these sorry brothers showscased all the time?

We got into an argument at school over this and the women claimed no one wants to write about those hard workling, child supporting brothers. I had to tell them theose stories are out there. You just have to look for them. Wal-Mart, Target, Barnes & Nobles and others won't have them in stock.

The point is all this black male bashing-why isn't anyoine looking at these females that won't stop running after them? You can't be done wrong when you take that mess from a man.

Actually all of the characters in the play come to this realization... That's the whole point... We love hard and dearly and accept whatever... We have to own OUR responsibility in that... This is explicitly pointed out in the movie... Thandie Newton's character isn't walking around blindly being done wrong by men... She is damning her ownself to hell and singing "Weeeeeeeeeee" all the way there! :lol:
But even she has to realize that there is a reason for her reckless behavior.... She and only she has to accept responsibility for that.... Even the Kimberly Elise's character, has some responsibility in the death of her children... SHE could have (and should have) never had her kids in that situation in the first place... She finally owns this responsibility in the end.... Honestly fellas.... I really didn't get the male bashing vibe from the play or this movie... Sure on the surface that's what some may see... But that is so not what this is about...

Last edited:
http://sonofbaldwin.blogspot.com/2010/11/suicide-considered.html

One guy's view on the film.

Hollywood is afraid of the competition. I think they’re terrified that these brilliant actors, whom they ignore and disenfranchise, might actually be better than the white actors they employ and promote. For example, do you remember the movie Doubt? How long was Viola Davis on the screen? Seven minutes? How long did it take her to steal that scene most resolutely from Meryl Streep, a woman considered to be one of the greatest (white) actors of all time? Let me tell you: All Davis needed was two minutes to render Streep completely invisible.

Can you imagine what we would have been blessed with—what For Colored Girls could have been—had Perry been selfless enough to allow Kasi Lemmons (of Eve’s Bayou fame) to direct this, if he had been gracious enough to let Nzinga Stewart’s screenplay see the light of day?

Nevertheless, there are some remarkable performances in this film, most notably from Anika Noni Rose. Nothing else in the film rises to the level of the scene where, after being brutally attacked, she recounts the incident, using Shange’s poetry, to a police officer. She is music and heartbreak and genius. She deserves an Oscar, an Image Award or any other accolade they’d be lucky enough to bestow upon her.

Ms. Shange must be pissed that someone as untalented as Perry got a hold of her work, but has been kind enough not to call him out. I watched an interview in which she said she was promised that Madea would not show up in the film. Whoever made that promise is a liar. Loretta DeVine’s character is a Madea stand-in: darker, a tad more serious and a little more intelligent, but serving the exact same purpose: to enlighten hardheaded viewers (by beating them over the head with public service announcements) while making them laugh.

The audience I was a member of, compromised of mostly black women, never missed a beat. Chants of “See!” and “Uh huh!” and “Can’t trust these down-low ******s!” soon followed. And when Janet’s character finally confronts her husband and reads him the riot act, the audience erupted. women shouted, “That’s right!” “You gotta watch out for them damn pretty boys; they the ones that always turn out to be f*ggots!” “F*ggot!” “Punk!” “Sissy azz!” “What happened to all the real (censored)’ men?” Over two hundred women cheered, urged each other on and applauded.

Obviously whoever wrote this hasn't read the original poem or seen the original stage production. Most everything Loretta Devine recited were monologues from the original (recited almost exactly like in the original)and even the scene where Janet confronts her husband is a monologue from the original. So to say she may be upset about this would sorta mean she didn't care for her OWN words....But everyone is most assuredly entitled to their opinion...

Last edited:
right these dudes up here arguing over why a millionaire is making more money while this luscious ass fine women posting in this thread

uhh Cee you like one of my uncles that raised me but i'll stump u over that drgsulady; im the only that can make her skeewee; whew lawd at that new avatar; just fine as bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit

Honestly i could care less about how she looks lol.. not being funny just sayin

You do know that drama SELLS movies, right? :lol:

Wait. He didn't get arrested and went to jail to get his kids back. He went to jail as a teen for being WRONGLY blamed for rape. And then he went to jail for beating up the boyfriend of his daughters' mother to PROTECT his kids. His character was still upstanding in the movie.

I agree Daddy's Little Girls didn't make Black Men look bad. At the end the Blue collar hard working black man got the lawyer lady which is so a complaint; that black professional women won't give hard working brothers a chance. So TP did ok with Daddy's Little Girls.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree Daddy's Little Girls didn't make Black Men look bad. At the end the Blue collar hard working black man got the lawyer lady which is so a complaint; that black professional women won't give hard working brothers a chance. So TP did ok with Daddy's Little Girls.

I have no problems dating a blue collar brother, especially if they look anything like Idris!

man u know they did; they country girls. 2 things country girls good at. cooking and well u know

Man, aint nothing like seeing a thick country girl with some tig ole bitties and long hair rocking some pearls and heels with a nice fitting cocktail dress. Aww man, Pop loves him some AKA's. I can't even front. I like them little prissy things cause once you get em behind close doors........ :cry: man, I miss college

Yet you felt the need to point out that we should forget the discussion because you got hard from looking at an avatar though right? SMH

me admiring a beautiful woman; yeah that something shake yall head at. yall can continue to go back and forth abt movies and a millionaire all yall want. it dont mind me

and drgsulady u still look good and when the next time we going to the movies

Back