Tyler Perry's "For Colored Girls" Trailer

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
1tqtf.gif

I have never really been into Tyler Perry's movies. They are a little too predictable. I do enjoy his plays. But I think I'll sit this one out.......Ima stick to my obsession and go see the movie I've been waiting on since last November....."Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows, Part 1":tup:

But to each his/her own. :)

So Tyler Perry basically does the remake/sequel of "Waiting To Exhale". Yeah......

Not really. My wife and I saw it last night. It is based on "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf", which is a collection of poems. The poetry is highlighted in the film. I have never read the book nor seen the stage play.

The poetry is all from women's perspectives and I would characterize the movie as being rather dark. There are a lot of tough issues addressed. What Perry did was connect the women of the poems together. Consequently, there is not a conventional plot but this theme that runs through. The part of the movie-making that I did not get is that there are scenes where the woman affected recites the poetry on camera, much like she would have to in a stage play. Then, there are other scenes where the voice over of the poem is done by the actress (as though she is thinking the poem) while the camera films her emotions. It was almost like they could not make up their minds which way to do it so they did both.

It was interesting, but I would guess that it should have been left on the stage. The actresses all had nice performances.

Actually it is one very long poem - a choreopoem, about a group of ladies (colored because they are women of the color and the author also uses colors to represent them, i.e. the lady in red, the lady in brown, etc...). I have seen the Broadway production starring Lynn Whitfield and Alfre Woodard and I also have the book. The content is beautifully raw, sad, funny and real. Tyler Perry did a remarkable job of recreating/updating this for the big screen and I must admit that this is some of his very best work. I loved the Broadway production and the book and I truly loved this movie. :tup: And no this movie isn't about male bashing... at least I didn't get that from this movie (or from the play/book). To me this movie was less about the men and more about women and how we deal with our own desires, insecurities, bad decisions, quest for love, flight from hurt to eventually discovering our true worth and beauty that is inside of us etc. And for the record, there is a very good brother in this movie, who is strong, kind, supportive - even when his wife feels she doesn't deserve it... Granted Tyler Perry's movies are typically drawn from the same vein, often corny and with a "moral of the story" at the end....But this one is different to me... Just my 2 pennies...
Not really. My wife and I saw it last night. It is based on "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf", which is a collection of poems. The poetry is highlighted in the film. I have never read the book nor seen the stage play.

The poetry is all from women's perspectives and I would characterize the movie as being rather dark. There are a lot of tough issues addressed. What Perry did was connect the women of the poems together. Consequently, there is not a conventional plot but this theme that runs through. The part of the movie-making that I did not get is that there are scenes where the woman affected recites the poetry on camera, much like she would have to in a stage play. Then, there are other scenes where the voice over of the poem is done by the actress (as though she is thinking the poem) while the camera films her emotions. It was almost like they could not make up their minds which way to do it so they did both.

It was interesting, but I would guess that it should have been left on the stage. The actresses all had nice performances.

Last edited:
Actually it is one very long poem - a choreopoem, about a group of ladies (colored because they are women of the color and the author also uses colors to represent them, i.e. the lady in red, the lady in brown, etc...). I have seen the Broadway production starring Lynn Whitfield and Alfre Woodard and I also have the book. The content is beautifully raw, sad, funny and real. Tyler Perry did a remarkable job of recreating/updating this for the big screen and I must admit that this is some of his very best work. I loved the Broadway production and the book and I truly loved this movie. :tup: And no this movie isn't about male bashing... at least I didn't get that from this movie (or from the play/book). To me this movie was less about the men and more about women and how we deal with our own desires, insecurities, bad decisions, quest for love, flight from hurt to eventually discovering our true worth and beauty that is inside of us etc. And for the record, there is a very good brother in this movie, who is strong, kind, supportive - even when his wife feels she doesn't deserve it... Granted Tyler Perry's movies are typically drawn from the same vein, often corny and with a "moral of the story" at the end....But this one is different to me... Just my 2 pennies...

lady you looking nice in up avator. u could have hollar'd at me to go to the movies with you

I think that for those of us who are ignorant of the original work who simply attend the movie without knowing the background, one of the primary aspects that will be taken away is that this is a male-bashing movie. This will be especially true if they watch it with women who emote when the male "gets what he deserves" but do not when the characters pronounce their epiphanies or triumphs in verse. There were snippets of the movie that my wife and I almost list to hootin' and hollerin' in the movie theater.

Since I am not familiar with the literary work, I am at a disadvantage. I can only hope that there was enough material available to have more that one brother to be depicted in a positive light. Still, this was a movie and its objective is more about commercial success than anything else. I enjoyed it. I will buy it when it is released, and I will find a copy of the book and read it to gather my own perspective.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Idris Elba is a FINE, dark-skinned man and he was portrayed as a black man handling his business and taking care of his daughters in Daddy's Girls.

And he had to get arrested and go to jail to get his kids back...SMH..

Man I know so many guys married taking care of their families and kids...None of us been to jail...

And he had to get arrested and go to jail to get his kids back...SMH..

Man I know so many guys married taking care of their families and kids...None of us been to jail...

You do know that drama SELLS movies, right? :lol:

Wait. He didn't get arrested and went to jail to get his kids back. He went to jail as a teen for being WRONGLY blamed for rape. And then he went to jail for beating up the boyfriend of his daughters' mother to PROTECT his kids. His character was still upstanding in the movie.

Last edited:

Wait. He didn't get arrested and went to jail to get his kids back. He went to jail as a teen for bring WRONGLY blamed for rape. And then he went to jail for beating up the boyfriend of his daughters' mother to PROTECT his kids. His character was still upstanding in the movie.

Yeah, she beat you on this one. He was set up by a Becky after her father walked in on them sexing.

Wait. He didn't get arrested and went to jail to get his kids back. He went to jail as a teen for bring WRONGLY blamed for rape. And then he went to jail for beating up the boyfriend of his daughters' mother to PROTECT his kids. His character was still upstanding in the movie.
No. He was arrested and put in jail for the street fight. He was brought to the arraignment (sp?) and released when the prosecutor could find no witnesses against him.

No. He was arrested and put in jail for the street fight. He was brought to the arraignment (sp?) and released when the prosecutor could find no witnesses against him.

Dac, I said that. He was in the "street fight" for/because of his kids.

Thats one movie out of how many..

A Family That Preys is another movie where the black men were portrayed in a positive way; it was the woman (Sanaa Lathan's character) who was the bad one. In that movie, both Tyler Perry's character and Rockmond Dunbar's characters were hard-working, devoted husbands.

In the move, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Shemar Moore's character was a positive brother who showed his woman how to love again.

In Madea's Family Reunion, Boris Kodjoe's character was a devoted father (whose ex wife LEFT him and the kid) who showed his woman how to love and trust again.

In Why Did I Get Married movies, most of the brothers in that film were devoted fathers and husbands.

ALL of those roles were major characters in the movies. Ya'll see what ya'll wanna see. :lol:

Last edited:
Back