Toss Up Game of the Week: Valley v. JSU

LMAO...of course yall have a feeling (it's called wishing upon a star).

Nope...

Valley has a coach who is hungry and trying to make Valley a winner. JSU has a coach who...for choice of better words "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken TIHS."

Nope...

Valley has a coach who is hungry and trying to make Valley a winner. JSU has a coach who...for choice of better words "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken TIHS."

Valley's coach has been there since around 2015. If Comegy couldn't win there then it ain't the coach it's the school. Valley will be Valley. Hughes problem has been offense/QB. Right now he's coaching to finish out the year with a job.

Valley's coach has been there since around 2015. If Comegy couldn't win there then it ain't the coach it's the school. Valley will be Valley. Hughes problem has been offense/QB. Right now he's coaching to finish out the year with a job.

Comegy was just waiting his years for retirement.

Valley is play somewhat better from what we have seen in previous years.

I was rooting for Comegy to bring a winning program to Valley very hard. I really thought he could get them to the 6 win category on a consistent basis. He brought in some damn good kids, but somehow couldn’t get them to stay.

The SWAC needs Valley to have a modern era story. I guess I am in the minority, but I really think someone can bring a 7-8 win season to Valley. Smart scheduling, Mississippi JUCO’s, and a few 5th year transfers here and there could do it. (Although I wished they weren’t the Devils.)

Anyway, good luck to Valley. I can see them upsetting JSU if they played like they played against Cookman, but JSU has the talent to run away with the win.

They’re better? This is the fourth straight year they’ve started a season 0-4.

It’s almost impossible to win there at this level. UAPB — as bad as they’ve been the last few years — won a SWAC title this decade. Valley has struggled to have 6-win seasons over the last 20 years.

Last edited:

I think Comegy thought he had more time to build than he really did. He was trying to win because he did bring in some real good recruits. However, they didn’t hang it out in the Deltas, and Valley’s non conference schedule has been very tough for the past few seasons. I know Comegy knew they needed money games, but taking brutal beatings by top FCS and more beatings FBS programs only make you punchy for conference play.

There is difference between a traditionally losing team coming into their first SWAC game vs Alcorn (just an example) 0-4 after brutal beatings vs bigger programs than coming in 2-2 or 3-1. Even if they beat 2 cans/bums, they know that their team can win a game and fight to victory together. They would take on a team like Alcorn or Grambling with more fire then coming in already destroyed and questioning a winning season.

I was rooting for Comegy to bring a winning program to Valley very hard. I really thought he could get them to the 6 win category on a consistent basis. He brought in some damn good kids, but somehow couldn’t get them to stay.

The SWAC needs Valley to have a modern era story. I guess I am in the minority, but I really think someone can bring a 7-8 win season to Valley. Smart scheduling, Mississippi JUCO’s, and a few 5th year transfers here and there could do it. (Although I wished they weren’t the Devils.)

Anyway, good luck to Valley. I can see them upsetting JSU if they played like they played against Cookman, but JSU has the talent to run away with the win.

Not with HBCUs in general needing money games. That 7-8 win season will never happen. It's any given Saturday in the SWAC this season, however, we are a better team than Valley.

Not with HBCUs in general needing money games. That 7-8 win season will never happen. It's any given Saturday in the SWAC this season, however, we are a better team than Valley.

I might be in denial. I just think if Valley can play 1 NAIA, 1 division I, 1 lower tier/traditional doormat FCS, and 1 FBS money game, there final record would look much different in the end. We watched Frazier use this formula to get PV moving into the right direction. Coming into SWAC play with 2 or possibly 3 wins already under their belt would put them in a better place to knockoff 3 teams for a 6 win season here and there. I just can’t believe hat Valley can’t win 6 games in one season in a 3 year span. That would be considered an achievement to their program.

I might be in denial. I just think if Valley can play 1 NAIA, 1 division I, 1 lower tier/traditional doormat FCS, and 1 FBS money game, there final record would look much different in the end. We watched Frazier use this formula to get PV moving into the right direction. Coming into SWAC play with 2 or possibly 3 wins already under their belt would put them in a better place to knockoff 3 teams for a 6 win season here and there. I just can’t believe hat Valley can’t win 6 games in one season in a 3 year span. That would be considered an achievement to their program.

Frazier started winning when the Panthers starting investing money into the program (scholarships etc). I am not even sure if Valley is getting all of their scholarships now. I know Comegy was restricted. Anything can happen but sometimes the proof is in the history. They will need a great AD that cares about sports.

What folks basing this on is that Alcorn and BCU were actually good teams. Maybe both are just average and Valley looked good for a while then those teams stepped up their play and beat them. Again our issue was QB and OC. Skeet gives us more options to score, we have three solid backs and our defense won't have back to back bad games. I got love for Valley though.

Frazier started winning when the Panthers starting investing money into the program (scholarships etc). I am not even sure if Valley is getting all of their scholarships now. I know Comegy was restricted. Anything can happen but sometimes the proof is in the history. They will need a great AD that cares about sports.

Yes, but the tide started turning before they were at their max for scholarships. Those games vs Paul Quinn were confidence boosters. I remember him preaching the importance of building the players confidence and having a winning mentality that before they finally upset Southern. They scheduled very smart for a long time. Valley has to add at least two winnable non conference games if they want to enter SWAC play knowing that they know how to win.

Yes, but the tide started turning before they were at their max for scholarships. Those games vs Paul Quinn were confidence boosters. I remember him preaching the importance of building the players confidence and having a winning mentality that before they finally upset Southern. They scheduled very smart for a long time. Valley has to add at least two winnable non conference games if they want to enter SWAC play knowing that they know how to win.

You and Nasty are absolutely correct, base. It was the smart scheduling coupled w/ our ability to field the max # of athl scholarships vs the 15 or 30 we once offered.

Unfortunately, like the rest of the conference, they need money. Those money games aren't going anywhere.

Valley is better but it won't be seen from a wins/losses standpoint. They lack depth this year. They will play us close like always. I want a similar score as last year.

JSU by at the very least 10, No one at JSU is remotely concerned with slaw Valley

Valley just doesn’t have the depth chart. They never do. I think they start out tough, but stamina and lack of talent on the depth chart will take over.
Valley won’t beat Jackson State. They just don’t have enough.

I got JSU in this one only cause they can still go to the scg if they start winning ..with 2 wins in a row it's a start on that path.

Back