TO JSU's UPPERCLASSMEN OR OLD HEADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by 1995mobb
:D You clowns got lucky and sat on that side in 01, This year You will not be able to sit there unless you feel like being laugh at oh that happened in 01 also.

Sat in the front if you bad.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by 1995mobb
:D You clowns got lucky and sat on that side in 01, This year You will not be able to sit there unless you feel like being laugh at oh that happened in 01 also.

Sat in the front if you bad.

MAN......

I sit where I want.....:rolleyes:

Ya'll some thread-jacking, u-turning, son-of-a-biscuit eaters! :mad:

And what was the question again? Freshman reporting before upperclassmen?

If you don't have an answer, FLOAT, FLOAT, FLOAT ON!! :p

Originally posted by ShyLadyTiger
Ya'll some thread-jacking, u-turning, son-of-a-biscuit eaters! :mad:

And what was the question again? Freshman reporting before upperclassmen?

If you don't have an answer, FLOAT, FLOAT, FLOAT ON!! :p

MAN.......

I sit where I want.....

:D

Originally posted by Quietstorm
I know this post was titled TO JSU's UPPERCLASSMEN OR OLD HEADS. But 250 Freshman ? WHOA !!!!

These numbers are bloated as they are every year. There are nowhere that many freshmen. We will also not be marching 300 people. We have a normal size freshmen class. They were in 4 company fronts, but not all were full and they had all the freshmen percussion out there too. So, let's please not exxagerate our freshmen numbers this year. You'll see for yourselves after the first game or 2. I really wish yall would stop doing this ish every year anyway. And if we had 200 freshmen, which we don't, I don't know why'd yall be all on the net talking bout it. Then yall argue with his SU fools who got nothing better than do than worry bout what we doing when our game against them is no time soon.

Originally posted by BachMegatone
That's a good point but...

So is this. Thing I think most people forget about is that with a large freshmen class, you're getting a large amount of people who aren't used to the style. You can't honestly tell me that a freshmen has as much style as an upperclassmen. Sure you'll have a few here and there that are better but on the whole, they just need more time. Think about them as rookies in any sport. They're bound to be making rookie mistakes that upperclassmen know better than to make.

You made some good points. You seem to be the only person from your school that tries like they have any sense. But you're exactly right. I remember one day Doc said his ideal band was 256. I told him "the only way it will happen is if you bring in a really big freshmen class, don't lose any upperclassmen, and excerise some people's 5th year of eligibility." That poses a lot of problems. Could you imagine bringing in as many freshmen as you had in the whole band almost the year before. Whether upperclassmen or freshmen, the more people you have to more work there is and the harder you have to work. That's a whole lot of people to get right without changing some thinks like a longer band camp or longer practices during camp. Our freshmen get there at the same time as FAMUs. But that's thier freshmen's 2nd camp. It can be done but only if the upperclassmen and staff are willing to work. But that 2nd or 3rd year at that size won't be a problem because by then the band will be mostly upperclassmen and you'll probably set a maximum size.When you get to that 3rd year, it's gonna be just like the smaller bands, you're gonna be most upperclassmen and won't retain too many freshmen except on years you lose a lot of people. It's just like anything else. The first time is always the hardest.

Who knows it might be coming. Check back next year when most of our budget can be used on scholarships. Now that those horns, new uniforms, and a few more uniforms we bought later are paid off.

Say bruh, I think it was overstated when dude said yall had 250 freshmen. But since I've seen the class with my own two eyes, I know this is not a normal size crab class. Of course some may quit but a week ago there were 5 1/2 company fronts of freshmen that I saw with my own two eyes. 32 x 5 = 160. Those extra crabs on the 6th company front put you somewhere between 170 & 180 freshmen. I don't know what Sonic Boom bands you've been seeing but the only freshmen class I've seen this large was my crab year '94. The difference between '94 & '03 is that in '94 we made up 80 to 85% of the band. We had very few upperclassmen. I could be wrong but with the size band yall had last year I'm sure yall have a good number of upperclassmen coming back. I know yall like to understate & keep the numbers quiet, but I don't see what difference it makes, everyone will see anyway at the first game. I do know there are more trombone freshmen than were people in the entire section last year. So what if other bands know, either they will be good or not, only time will tell.

there are 150 in this years freshman class that are still in band camp. last night the upperclassman returned. there are 26 freshmanbones. with the returning upperclassman, 36 to 40 is the gametime number. As far as the B-tones, looks like 18 to 20. Tubas about 25 to 28. Tomorrow is the last day of PT for band camp, and I'm going to bring the funk to the upperclassman in the morning. I have the freshman ready in that area. I feel they will hang in there. I know a few freshman and upperclassman will not make the first game. But a minimum of 250 will be there.

So I don't know what list you have, but I have been checking the rolls every morning for the last two weeks.

This is a very good freshman class. They listen well, and have been working hard. I have worked with the freshman's for the past 10 years, I say this class is just short of the 2000 class. W/T will be much, much improved. As will the Bones, and B-Tones. I'm speaking in terms of quality sound, and musicianship, not just volume. The musicianship is all around better. This band has a chance to bring alot of pain. But that will only happen if they keep thier minds focused on the goal. Numbers don't make you a better band! Hard work and perfect practice, make you a better band. Notice I said "Musicians"! not horn holders! This band is on it's way. "Lookout Su!"

Originally posted by sop83
there are 150 in this years freshman class that are still in band camp. last night the upperclassman returned. there are 26 freshmanbones. with the returning upperclassman, 36 to 40 is the gametime number. As far as the B-tones, looks like 18 to 20. Tubas about 25 to 28. Tomorrow is the last day of PT for band camp, and I'm going to bring the funk to the upperclassman in the morning. I have the freshman ready in that area. I feel they will hang in there. I know a few freshman and upperclassman will not make the first game. But a minimum of 250 will be there.

So I don't know what list you have, but I have been checking the rolls every morning for the last two weeks.

This is a very good freshman class. They listen well, and have been working hard. I have worked with the freshman's for the past 10 years, I say this class is just short of the 2000 class. W/T will be much, much improved. As will the Bones, and B-Tones. I'm speaking in terms of quality sound, and musicianship, not just volume. The musicianship is all around better. This band has a chance to bring alot of pain. But that will only happen if they keep thier minds focused on the goal. Numbers don't make you a better band! Hard work and perfect practice, make you a better band. Notice I said "Musicians"! not horn holders! This band is on it's way. "Lookout Su!"

I got the old list when it was closer to 130. But I don't know why these folk on here talking bout we got 250 freshmen.

Whether it's 150, 160, or 170 it's still a big azz class.:D I estimated 170 and that was with the naked eye and about a week ago. So I'm sure a few have quit by now. Which probably makes my estimation even closer. That's a good estimation I think. 20 or so off ain't bad, but 150 is still not a normal size class. 26 bones is not a normal size bone crab section for real. The largest trombone freshmen class was 18, my crab year '94. We started with 20 I think. Most other years has class with 8-10 or so. That's normal. One year we had 2 crabs '96. I guess that's the other end of the spectrum.:D But from what I saw and what I have heard about this class they seem to be a pretty good class as far as their playing ability and discipline. So hopefully everything will go well as they combine with the upperclassmen and the year will start off well. I know I much rather watch my old section work with and improve with 36-40 trombones than 12-15. I marched in SOP sections that had as many as 32 bones and as few as 13 at times. And for those years we were big like that '94 & '95 we were the considered the best section in the band. When we were short like '96, only 13-16, we weren't. So numbers do help, especially in a good program like JSU where the program itself will bring about improvement in the musicians in the band. It's not like you have all these numbers and noone to develop them. Magruder and the rest will take care of that.:cool:

Originally posted by FunkyTone_98_2
Any JSU upperclassmen or oldheads contact me, except the ones that post on Swac Fans, we already talked to most of yall.

I can't get over there anymore, I can't access the threads, So...holla at me so I can know what's up.

Bottom Line: Stop arguing over how many crabs it is and everybody get to practicing! :D

Originally posted by Bengal E
Bottom Line: Stop arguing over how many crabs it is and everybody get to practicing! :D [/B]

I think everybody's just happy football season is almost here.:D Since it's still a week or two off, nothing really else to do other than speculate.

Originally posted by Bengal E
I can't get over there anymore, I can't access the threads, So...holla at me so I can know what's up.

Bottom Line: Stop arguing over how many crabs it is and everybody get to practicing! :D

Are you using the same name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back