TO JSU's UPPERCLASSMEN OR OLD HEADS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not crazy. I know that 128 is used on the field for JSU most years and that is 4 company fronts. I saw 5 and a half of freshmen companyfronts. I talked to some upperclassmen last night and I heard the facts. The fact is that by the time JSU playes Alcorn, the band will be about 275. You tell me what you think the size of the band will be from the start based on what I just said. It is unreal. almost 40 bones. 20 barritones. 56 trumpets 12 f horns. 28tubas. This is the expected number on wed. night when the upperclassmen get there. The boom from last year has only lost 15 people. You do the math for those who don't believe. As a matter of fact. I will be up there tonight.

PS. Like I said, If this was all freshmen then there is no chance by no band. I found out that it is all freshmen so JSU gets the win for every game right now. LMAO. I can't wait to hear this.

By the way, I heard someone say that they might have a surprise for everyone this fall. I believe it was someone from SU. LMAO....
What is the surprise?

I don't know if they will have enough horns to march all 28 tubas, or all 20 baritones, but it probably will be close. I know one thing. With those 35-40 bones, 15-20 baritones, and 24-28 tubas, you won't be hearing anyone say "JSU is a trumpet band" this year.:D The scary part is that trumpet section will probably be better.:eek2: It is going to be interesting to see. I heard the freshmen sound pretty good. I guess time will tell.

first of all PSi shut up you ignorant grasshole. ahhh that felt good. Second, we all have big freshmen classes but the usaly dwindle down to nothing at the end of crab week. then when the old heads come back more leave. We aint never scured.:cool: :cool:

So are you saying that because you have a big freshmen class and your band is bigger now that your band is automatically better and sounds better? By your logic, FAMU has been undefeated for the past couple decades...:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dwayne
PS. Like I said, If this was all freshmen then there is no chance by no band. I found out that it is all freshmen so JSU gets the win for every game right now. LMAO. I can't wait to hear this.

Originally posted by BachMegatone
So are you saying that because you have a big freshmen class and your band is bigger now that your band is automatically better and sounds better? By your logic, FAMU has been undefeated for the past couple decades...:rolleyes:

Exactly.....

Originally posted by SUtrp96
Exactly.....

lol insert Famu slogan here................

We're big...........really we are..just...Big!!"

smh...i agree with bach on that one

You Jukers are right when you say the bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

But numerically speaking, if 90% of the upperclassmen from last year's band come back, and 90% of the current freshmen actually make the band, and the freshmen are sounding real good (already)....you're going to have a Sonic Boom with 275+..... Blowing!!!!!.... Sounding like the Boom always sounds.............Wonderful!!!! (give or take a 1st trumpet or two, hanging over)..

And since power is such an important part of the Jukebox 'game'....

There's no way a 128 Jukebox will out-power a 275+ Sonic Boom.

the difference will be in the decibels...... nothing else....

The Jukebox will sound good. The Boom will also sound good. There'll just be more 'sound' coming from Section F in the Friendly Confines, that's all.

:D

I can hear the argument now. The day after the game, the SU cats will say that they weren't out-powered by the much bigger Boom, saying that man-for-man they're more powerful, and that JSU just had the numbers.......But who's fault is that? Nobodys.....The Boom has gotten larger, while the Juke keeps it's numbers around 130-140. But somehow they'll make it JSU's fault.

:shame:

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
[
I can hear the argument now. The day after the game, the SU cats will say that they weren't out-powered by the much bigger Boom, saying that man-for-man they're more powerful, and that JSU just had the numbers.......But who's fault is that? Nobodys.....The Boom has gotten larger, while the Juke keeps it's numbers around 130-140. But somehow they'll make it JSU's fault.

:shame: [/B]

taylor- Made you are so true!

They have Chapman/Magruder over the Crabs then its on.

The difference is FAMU does not and will not use all of their players to a good advantage.

on the other hand ( Jsu will use all of the its instruments on every song and we have different attitude on songs of how it should be played and sound.

FAMU is Meac style.

JSU is Swac Style.:idea:

True power do come in numbers if they are used correctly....

It will be no excuses here....If JSU obviously has more power than SU, I mean it ain't like we wouldn't know why... SO what would be the point of bringing that up?

I mean what can JSU say, we were much louder than SU...Okay...that's when the common sense factor should kick in, don't you feel?

Power is a part of SU game, but that ain't it.....FUNK, STYLE, Constant drive......FIELD SHOW execution as well.......

LOL@this thread. If JSU is as big as they say, then sure they will be powerful. But remember this can be a double edge sword. Being that big and not sounding like(within reason of course) will hae folks saying that you should be more powerful than you are due to the numbers. Example. My soph year(1985) in the Jukebox we went to 160 on the field. 42 T-bones that were bringing it along with 36 trumpets. Now in my jr year in 86 we went to 192 on the field briefly. In my opinion we were more powerful in 85 than 86. 85 was a better band than 86 as well. That being said, be careful of automatically thinking that having that large of a band is better.There are alot of pitfalls with having a band that large. FAMU has done it. But they have years and years of experience handling large bands, plus like someone mentioned they play differently. They could have 400 out there and not try blow you away. The SWAC's mentality for the most part is different.

Personally if I was JSU's band director and had the numbers you guys say you have, then I would march only 192 and have enough reserves just to keep competition for field spots. Then tell everybody else to have a nice day. Typically when you have a big band like that, you get a few more horn holders in the band than you normally get. Don't trip, because we all have those in our bands that I shall say are not all that. We just don't like to admit it. So the challenge will be for JSU to not get complacent because you have numbers. That happened to us in 86 and Doc zipped that isht back down. Too many folks trying to skate. I wish the Boom luck, cause I know it aint going to be easy managing a band that big. Not to mention it's hard on your budget. Should be interesting come October 18.

One thing about SU is that we have years of experience being the smaller band. I can count on my hand the number of bands that SU has gone against and SU was larger. So I guess we have never been scared applies all the time for us. SU ain't been killed yet. LOL. BTW I am sure my cb Ralh Chapman can attest to that statement.:cool:

Am I the only one remembering that no matter how big JStank is....they'll still be kuntry as creamy corn, with a side of field peas?

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
Am I the only one remembering that no matter how big JStank is....they'll still be kuntry as creamy corn, with a side of field peas?

Man, whatever. :lol:

Come Oct. 18, let the bands speak... in the "Friendly Confines."

Originally posted by CriTAUcal
Man, whatever. :lol:

Come Oct. 18, let the bands speak... in the "Friendly Confines."

Hey, Critau-Curl......Speaking of the 18th.....

Im planning on coming with my camera....those seats by the Boom (at the bottom) are still GenAdmiss, huh?

Me and a few others are trying to sit by the Boom for the first half. So, is that just is wishful thinking or will I not have a problem?

Im planning on coming with my camera....those seats by the Boom (at the bottom) are still GenAdmiss, huh?

Me and a few others are trying to sit by the Boom for the first half. So, is that just is wishful thinking or will I not have a problem?

Hey 'Lil BladeBoy! :D

There are seats at the bottom that are general admission, but if you're trying to sit in the boxed-off section with the fold-down seats, that is reserved seating (or at least, it's suppose to be). And usually, those reserved seatings by the band are already taken by ol' heads from the BOOM and the JSU Student Gov't Association.

And if you're trying to sit by the BOOM for the first half, I suggest that you get there really early (at least an hour to an hour and half early and not at the stadium parking lot but inside!)--- unless, you know some folks who will get there early and save you some seats.

:D You clowns got lucky and sat on that side in 01, This year You will not be able to sit there unless you feel like being laugh at oh that happened in 01 also.

Sat in the front if you bad.

Originally posted by 1995mobb

FAMU is Meac style.

JSU is Swac Style.:idea:

That's a good point but...

Originally posted by JR
Typically when you have a big band like that, you get a few more horn holders in the band than you normally get. Don't trip, because we all have those in our bands that I shall say are not all that. We just don't like to admit it. So the challenge will be for JSU to not get complacent because you have numbers.

So is this. Thing I think most people forget about is that with a large freshmen class, you're getting a large amount of people who aren't used to the style. You can't honestly tell me that a freshmen has as much style as an upperclassmen. Sure you'll have a few here and there that are better but on the whole, they just need more time. Think about them as rookies in any sport. They're bound to be making rookie mistakes that upperclassmen know better than to make.

That's a good point but...

So is this. Thing I think most people forget about is that with a large freshmen class, you're getting a large amount of people who aren't used to the style. You can't honestly tell me that a freshmen has as much style as an upperclassmen. Sure you'll have a few here and there that are better but on the whole, they just need more time. Think about them as rookies in any sport. They're bound to be making rookie mistakes that upperclassmen know better than to make.

Like Hanging Over.....

I wish I had a picture of the drill JSU screwed against A&T...lol

Thanks for handling that logistical issue, CriTAUcal. Apparently our friend hasn't been to the stadium in a while...maybe he can't afford reserved seats.

Did you ever ask where the reserved section was??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back