This time next week, Texas Southern will boast the SWAC's best recruiting class

• Thread starter The Panther Fan
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can only wait and see TPF with the unrest in college basketball at the head coaching postion with some coaches jump ship after one year to move to a big conference it can make you :dizzy: try to keep up with it but Coach Courtney will be there for awhile he will not walk out on his kid he brought into the program

Of someone's 3,400 + posts, I wonder how many of them are of substance? Really, how many posts involves the following replies:

* CO-SIGNING

* STFU

* FUGG YOU

* HATIN' ON MY SCHOOL

* I'M BEAUTIFUL

* YOU WISH YOU COULD HAVE ME

Anyway, while it'll be hard to come across another loyal coach like Robert Moreland, we have a pretty damn good coach in Courtney. I've seen high school basketball players mob him like he's a rapper at some games. I just can't wait to see next year's schedule.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by C-LeB28

* HATIN' ON MY SCHOOL

You do hate!!!!!!

* I'M BEAUTIFUL

I am beautiful ;)

Now, I don't ever remember posting this one, but U do wish you could have me, so STFU and let's talk sports.

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
Dahill, I likes your style. Keep up the good work.

For someone who wants to talk sports, then why is this your first reply to this post. Co-signing at it's best.

Originally posted by C-LeB28

For someone who wants to talk sports, then why is this your first reply to this post. Co-signing at it's best.

Cuz that's my style.....now back up off me now. Let's talk about sports I say. :D

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

* I'M BEAUTIFUL

I am beautiful

"Yes you are"

"I don't know about him but I wish I could"
:D

Sorry I got caught up. wrong board let's talk sports like you said.:lmao:

when you do something good, Jags got to rain on your parade with foolishness. I can see if she used some real defense like "our class is better" but she has no reason on this thread whatsoever.

That's why I cannot stand the arrogant folks at SU, if you do something better than them they want to hate.

Back to the original thread.

It would be interesting if he has two more successful seasons.

Robert Reid? I heard that, he coaches some minor league women's team along with being a volunteer at Westfield. He wouldn't send his son to PV so we don't need him.

Robert Reid? I heard that, he coaches some minor league women's team along with being a volunteer at Westfield. He wouldn't send his son to PV so we don't need him.

was he the one trying to pawn off his son on grambling ?

his son is worthless, believe me. He used to work next to me at the mall and he was nothing but a spolied brat.

Just heard McClelland on the radio again and he will not release the 8 candidates. Why is this so much of a secret?

TSU let out 8 folks last year even though the final candidate was amont the top 8.

Typical PV stuff. :rolleyes:

they done it again, each day they look like geniuses for hiring that man

Hornets sign three
basketball players

By Josh Moon
Montgomery Advertiser

Back-to-back successful seasons for the Alabama State basketball team have made the recruiting process easier for ASU head coach Rob Spivery.

On Wednesday, Spivery announced the signing of three players in the early signing period that should help fill the holes left by departing seniors Tyrone Levett and Joey Ball.

Tristan Smith, a 6-foot-4, 200 pound guard from Cedar Grove High School in Atlanta, turned down Auburn, Tennessee Tech, Central Florida and Western Kentucky for the Hornets. Smith cited ASU?s winning ways over the past two years as influencing his decision.

?They?ve showed that they can go out and win consistently,? he said. ?With the guys that are coming back and the guys they?ve signed, I don?t look for that to be any different the next few years.?

Smith averaged 20 points and nine rebounds per game in his senior year at Cedar Grove and was one of the top 10 scorers in Atlanta during the 2001-2002 season.

Smith said another reason for his decision was the opportunity ASU gave to come in and play early.

?My position is open on their team,? he said. ?I don?t have to come in and start or anything like that. I just want the opportunity to come and contribute any way I can. They?ll give me that opportunity and that played a big part in my decision to go to Alabama State.?

The Hornets also landed Alexander Oliver from Bearden High School in Knoxville, Tennessee. Oliver, a 6-1 point guard, averaged 14 points and 3.6 assists per game in his senior year. He was named to the first team of the Tennessee Sports Writers? All-State team last season,made the All State Tournament team as well as District and Regional tournaments? MVP.

The Hornets? final recruit is 6-11, Tedric Hill from Eufaula High School.

If the Hornets? talent search keeps up this pace, fans shouldn?t expect a letdown, according to Spivery.

?We plan on signing two more players before next season,? Spivery said. ?If we can continue to sign this type of quality players, we shouldn?t miss a beat

Wondering who to put my $$$ on at the Reunion in NO. Dahill vs C-Leb or TPF vs DTJ. Hmmm, I think I'll just drank some drank and watch the wrecking!:D

btw===>GSU returns all those all-swac playas that pissed Dahill off!:cool:

Texas Southern basketball gets bigger on National Signing day

HOUSTON ? Ronnie Courtney signed two players to comprise his first recruiting class as head coach of the Texas Southern University program.
Jason Dabney (Beaumont, Texas/Ozen High School) and Anson Johnson (Sugarland, Texas/Dulles High School) signed letters of intent to play with Texas Southern.
Both players were rated Top 100 recruits by TexasHoops.com and were members of programs that won more than 20 games this season. (Ozen won the state 4A title in 2001 and were finalists in 2002).
?This class signifies we are recruiting top players from programs that have experienced success,? Head Men?s Basketball Coach Ronnie Courtney said. ?We have young men who not know only how to win, but are outstanding students as well.?
Dabney, a 6-7, 235-pound forward, was a four-year letterman for Beaumont Ozen. He was a key reserve on Ozen?s 2001 state championship team and a starter on this season?s 32-3 squad. He averaged 10.2 points, five rebounds and four assists and was a first-team All-District selection.
Johnson, a 6-8, 240-pound forward/center selection was a three-year starter at Dulles High School, where the team finished 22-11. He averaged 10 points and eight rebounds.
?I think these two young men will solidify our future and make an immediate impact on our program as freshmen,? Courtney said.
Dabney is academically qualified while Johnson is awaiting ACT test results. Courtney anticipates Johnson will post the necessary score since he carries a 3.0 GPA.
Texas Southern will have three scholarships left to fill. Courtney said he plans on filling one of the additional spots with a point guard that is around ?6-2 to 6-3?.
Dabney and Johnson join early signees (November) Larry Evans and Marcus Bailey of Hightower High School.

Also, check on this website from the Houston Superstar Foundation...

http://www.houstonsuperstar.com/fame.htm

HALL OF FAME

Below is a list of student/athletes from our 2001-2002 team who have signed a National Letter of Intent with the following college or university.

Micheal Morris / Colorado State
Richard Law / University of Southern Alabama
Larry Evans / Texas Southern University
Dontay Jackson / Niagara University
Antonio Nuttall / Texas Southern University
Renaldo Dixon / Marshall University
Justin Robinson / San Angelo State

These Hall of Fame players have yet to sign...

Chudi Chinwizi
Eddie Rowe
Ikenna Ifegau
Jamarcus Johnson
Kendrick Davis
Kevan Sidney
Lakeith Nelson
Matt Bell
Mitch Banks
Obinna Ukegbu
Scotty Lott
Travon Singleton

From the Anti-HBCU Houston Chronicle pages...

Texas Southern

?Basketball signings -- On the first day of the signing period, men's basketball coach Ronnie Courtney went after size, adding 6-7 Jason Dabney of Beaumont Ozen and 6-8 Anson Johnson of Dulles.

Both players come from teams that won more than 20 games this past season. Dabney, a 235-pound forward, averaged 10.2 points and five rebounds, while the 240-pound Johnson averaged more than 10 points and eight rebounds.

"We added some size and beef," said Courtney.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Here is an article w/ mention of AAMU signee Mike Davis. The Alabama Nike Lasers of Huntsville won a prestigious national NIKE tournament this past weekend, defeating a powerhouse from Tallahassee, the Houston Hoops and a team from Brooklyn.

http://theinsidershoops.theinsiders.com/2/43075.htmlLasers Blaze To 17 and Under Championship
By Michael Kruse, special to this site.
Date: Apr 7, 2002

HAMPTON, Va. - Mike Ford arrived here in Southeastern Virginia under-recruited and relatively unknown. He left with a championship and an MVP trophy - and a chance at plenty more options for college.

The 6-7 SF from Huntsville (AL) Johnson scored 16 points in leading the Alabama Lasers to a 79-74 win over Riverside Church in the 17-and-under championship at the Boo Williams Invitational.
"He's going to prep school next year," Alabama coach William "Wig" Pearson said after the victory. "We had him one, but we might try to send him somewhere else now. I don't know."

But he does know this: Ford could hack it just about anywhere in the prep school ranks. He's only 17 years old - he doesn't turn 18 until October - and he's very thin. But he can handle the ball fairly well, shoot it from the perimeter and sneak into the paint for a key rebound here and there.

"He just needs to get stronger," Pearson explained, "and he needs a year to get older. But he's got game. He's a high-major player. No doubt about it."

That remains to be seen. But there's no doubt about the Lasers' worthiness as champs. They played the weekend without their best player - Tuscaloosa (AL) Hillcrest super soph D.J. White - but got solid contributions from a balanced roster.

On Sunday afternoon against the Church, Huntsville (AL) Butler sophomore SG Courtney Beasley scored 15 points in the second half en route to a team-high 22, and <b>Huntsville (AL) Johnson senior PG Mike Davis added 20.
</b>
The Lasers erased 40-34 halftime deficit to notch the upset.

For coach Kenny Pretlow's Hawks, Brooklyn (NY) Robeson PG Gary Ervin led the way with 22 points (the senior is going to prep school next year), while Brooklyn (NY) Grady WG (also probably going to prep after originally signing with Hofstra last November) pitched in 14 in spite of struggling all game long with his usually reliable outside shot. He managed only two threes.

Gary Forbes, a junior SF from Brooklyn (NY) Bannuker, had 10. Teaneck (NJ) High junior SF Willie Irish went for eight. Ditto for Milford (CT) Academy junior SF Kelvin "Peedy" Nelson.

Alabama's<b> Davis</b>, Riverside's Ervin and South Carolina Raven Ra'Sean Dickey joined Ford on the all-tournament team.

Michael Kruse writes for Basketball America and BasketballAmerica.com.

AAMU damn near came close to signing Mike Ford, but AAU games got him more exposure and now he is going to prep school so he can get larger schools to see him.

another article about semi game.....

Alabama Lasers 85, Houston Hoops 65: Point Will Gant led the Lasers with 16 points as their run to the title game rolled right on through the heavily favored guys from the Houston Hoops.

The Lasers, deeper than most of the teams at the event, got up early in the first half and were able to keep the pressure on the entire game. Part of the problem for the Hoops was the fact that its star, Ndi Ebi, never really got into the game. Shot selection from the guards wasn't real good and Ebi didn't receive anywhere near the number of touches he deserves.

Tack Minor's jaunts to the bucket weren't going down at all. Daniel Gibson finished with 22 for the Hoops.

Gant and guard<b> Mike Davis, an Alabama A&M commitment </b> , have propelled the Lasers for the entire tournament.

25_MikeDavisBoo.JPG
Mike Davis is going to be the most exciting player to ever play at AAMU... anybody can quote me on that.

I've got a great idea Mighty Hornet and Dahill. It might be cutting edge and I'm not sure if you can do it but let's try this....

Info on recruits for ASU and AAMU (now here's the tricky part) create a ASU and AAMU recruiting thread for your own school.

I know it may be a daunting task but it'll be a good challenge for you.

Sounds like you jealous because Texas SO signed these two scrub players that cant average more than 10 points a game. SMH where are the big time recruits you were talking about?

There is more to basketball than scoring point. It is a team game.
Two examples;Bill Russell, Dennis Rodman. Jason Dabney, played
with a potential lottery pick at Beaumont Central High School. I think R. Courtney would choose to forfeit his scholarships as opposed to signing scrubs. Only time will tell.

Thing is, AAMU is hyping up Davis. If he is a guard he will not come out and dominate like they think. Put too much pressure on a kid and he'll fold.

Courtney has said he is trying mold the team into something like Alcorn. He wants size to compete with the big kids on the boards but his backcourt will be way better than Alcorn.

A&M's lack of big men will hurt them regardless.

Originally posted by The Panther Fan
Thing is, AAMU is hyping up Davis. If he is a guard he will not come out and dominate like they think. Put too much pressure on a kid and he'll fold.

Courtney has said he is trying mold the team into something like Alcorn. He wants size to compete with the big kids on the boards but his backcourt will be way better than Alcorn.

A&M's lack of big men will hurt them regardless.

You dont have to have no big man to win in this league. The SWAC is a GUARD league. PV had giants on their team and still got beat by 30. I cant name one big man in this league that has dominated since Slim Shady from Jackson State.

Also how is AAMU hyping up Davis... CJ is hyping up Davis, not AAMU. I am probably the only one in the DAWGPOUND that has seen him play and that is because he plays for my high school. I dont have to hype him up just read the article. He dropped 22 on your Houston Boys and the Alabama Lasers are one of the top AAU NIKE teams in America. AAMU has two signees off of the Lasers and from the Huntsville Times article, Mike Ford just MAY be joining to bring the total to 3. The Alabama Lasers are the same team that produced Marvin Stone, Rod Grizzard, Erwin Dudley and Gerald Wallace.

My 2 cents...

I'm a Gramblinite through and through, but as a bball coach, TSU would be an ideal job to have. The Houston area is loaded with talent (juco and high school) and you could attract players from all over the South if necessary. So much talent to choose from and TSU has one of the better coaches (based on last year and high school success) in the country.

Smart move on his part getting those Texas kids with size. I'm sure he can develop them to be good players on the collegiate level. I think it's a must to sign local basketball players because fans don't travel with the same fervor as football games. Getting local players brings out local fans to mid-week home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back