This is why you NEVER rent to Section 8

What issue do you have with the government?

1. They tell you what your property should rent for.
2. The play too much of the landlord for you, but when it comes time to collect, they say you are on your own.
3. They turn in what they pay you to the Federal Government (what form is that 1099?)
4. In Texas, if a tenant doesn't pay his share of the rent and Section 8 does, then it is just like you collected all the rent and it makes it difficult to evict the tenant.
5. A certain number of people have to live in the unit. Ex. If you have a 4BR unit, and the candidate is a woman with 4 kids (3 girls and a boy), then it is possible she has a 3BR voucher and section 8 will not pay for her to have a 4BR house over the cost of a 3BR. You would need to have a candidate like a single mother with 5 kids (3 girls and 2 boys).
6. You won't get your first month rent from Section 8 until 6 to 8 weeks after the tenant has moved in.

I just didn't want anyone directing me on how to be a landlord with my own property.

Some people (landlords), Section 8 is the best thing since sliced bread. But after my initial landlord meeting, I knew it wasn't for me.

Back