The Novel Coronavirus Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
"My jaw kind of hit the floor," said Dr. Gabriel Bosslet, associate professor of clinical medicine in the IU school of medicine. "He looked really credible and he sounded really credible. He used language that sounded intelligent... It's just the substance of what he was saying was honestly just patently false, especially the stuff about the vaccine.”

Bosslet, who posts regular updates of Indiana's COVID-19 status, responded in a Facebook post Tuesday morning that went through Stock's testimony, point by point.
"The concern that I had was exactly what happened," he said, "that it would be shared widely."

In his post, Bosslet says that there are some nuggets of truth in what Stock says. The data on the effectiveness of masks is largely observational up to this point, he said. It suggests that they are helpful, although probably not as much as we would like.

And, Bosslet said, many people do think that some version of the virus will continue to circulate. What he gets wrong, though, is the science around the vaccine’s impact. The vaccine is preventing people from getting severely ill, from dying and it’s working well, Bosslet said. It’s the only way forward.

“I can see why a video like this is popular,” he said. “This physician is well-spoken and clearly had a command of the audience that was impressive. The performance was really well done. But when you drill down to the substance that was said, this is the same tired, fringe stuff that we have heard for the last year.”

It won't matter, you know those folks will go back to complaining about their "rights" and refuse to wear the masks.

236581123_2925681861033441_1454766927803943370_n.jpg

203 Lollapalooza Attendees Later Tested Positive for COVID, Chicago's Top Doctor Says​

"So now 14 days post, as I said, we've had no unexpected findings at this point, there's no evidence at this point of a superspreader event and there's no evidence of substantial impact to Chicago's COVID epidemiology," Arwady said Thursday.

"We estimate approximately 385,000 people attended Lolla. Approximately 90% plus were vaccinated, based on measures that were taken at the site," she explained. "We used 88% vaccinated as a conservative estimate for our calculations."

Arwady said the city estimates that 0.004% of the vaccinated attendees were later diagnosed with COVID, which equates to four in every 10,000 people, or 127 attendees.

"Among unvaccinated attendees, we did as expected see a higher rate of COVID cases but it was still low," she said. "Among unvaccinated Lollapalooza attendees, we estimate 0.0016% or 16 in 10,000 attendees, 76 unvaccinated attendees reporting tested positive. And as of yesterday, we had no hospitalizations or deaths reported, we do continue to follow up."

As we work our way to talking to MSNBC next week, I thought it would be good to update my hbcu family how we got where we got. I teach in the school district next to the one my kids go to which includes Clemson, SC. I became concerned about what schools would look like when I saw what my school was doing, removing all physical barriers, removed all social distancing signage, increased student population b/c they closed the virtual option. I wrote the gov about my 6 y/o son that has sickle cell and got a form letter response that blamed the legislature for a bill he signed. I wrote my state senator and also stated a petition that I posted on twitter as well. The senator said he'd forward my concerns and that was it. The petition was seen by a NBC reported and she hit me on twitter. Week 1 (3 days) of my kids school, the district had 52 cases for students 11 for teachers. Week 2 ended today with 162 cases for students (over 600 quarantined) 21 for teachers (11 were breakthrough cases) with a least 2 of the teachers hospitalized and on ventilators. They called an emergency board meeting this afternoon and decided they could not safely hold face to face school and are going virtual.
Here's the rub. The proviso the legislature put in does not allow for masks mandates. If a district does they lose all their funding. It also doesn't allow for more than 5% of the districts students to be virtual. If a district has more than 5% they will take 47% of the districts funding. Schools can get an emergency waiver which, I'm assuming, is what happened here. So you can't have masks, you can't go virtual, you have hundreds more students this year (b/c many were virtual) and so you also have no space to socially distance. Literally our kids are going to school almost no protection particularly those that are too young to be vaccinated.
My appeal will be 1. to the state to get rid of the proviso. To that end I emailed the author of the proviso today and asked him to call for a special session to repeal the legislation he wrote. 2. I will appeal to the parents of kids, that they demonstrate the love and care they say they have for the community, for their neighbors, by wearing masks to protect my son, other students and teachers.
The emergency waiver will give us about 2 weeks of virtual. That's enough time that I think we can organize a march on the statehouse to advocate for our kids through the state. We are doing big things here all in the name of protecting our children. That's we do it in hbcuworld right!

The Immoral Lifestyle Republicans Won’t Condemn​

Conservative politicians like to talk about morality. Over the years, they’ve portrayed various kinds of people as degenerate, dissolute, or reckless.

But there’s one constituency these politicians won’t criticize: people who refuse vaccination against COVID-19. Vaccine refusers endanger their communities and the country, but they’re part of the Republican base. So instead of confronting them, Republican politicians are excusing the bad behavior, retreating to moral subjectivism, and trying to block anyone, including private organizations, from imposing any standard of personal responsibility.

And this is on top of the 5,000 new cases reported on Friday from Thursday.

We probably will be in the 3,000-5,000 cases a day range for a week or two thanks to the Neshoba County Fair and school districts not doing mask mandates until it is too late (Pearl River County Schools didn't do one until 200+ got it in the first 3 days forcing a mask mandate. Another school had 40+ get it in the band)

View: https://twitter.com/chillin662/status/1427019876007350273

wife and I did the nbc interview last night. will run on nbc throughout the day on their platforms starting this morning. I misspoke and called mykayla robinson, johnson... sorry family.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

The Coronavirus Is Here Forever. This Is How We Live With It.​

We can’t avoid the virus for the rest of our lives but we can minimize its impact.
By Sarah Zhang

The Atlantic
AUGUST 17, 2021

In the 1980s, doctors at an English hospital deliberately tried to infect 15 volunteers with a coronavirus. COVID-19 did not yet exist—what interested those doctors was a coronavirus in the same family called 229E, which causes the common cold. 229E is both ubiquitous and obscure. Most of us have had it, probably first as children, but the resulting colds were so mild as to be unremarkable. And indeed, of the 15 adult volunteers who got 229E misted up their nose, only 10 became infected, and of those, only eight actually developed cold symptoms.

The following year, the doctors repeated their experiment. They tracked down all but one of the original volunteers and sprayed 229E up their nose again. Six of the previously infected became reinfected, but the second time, none developed symptoms. From this, the doctors surmised that immunity against coronavirus infection wanes quickly and reinfections are common. But subsequent infections are milder—even asymptomatic. Not only have most of us likely been infected with 229E before, but we’ve probably been infected more than once.

This tiny study made little impression at the time. In the ’80s and ’90s, coronaviruses still belonged to the backwater of viral research, because the colds they caused seemed trivial in the grand scheme of human health. Then, in the spring of 2020, scientists urgently searching for clues to immunity against a novel coronavirus rediscovered this decades-old research. Before the emergence of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19, only four known coronaviruses were circulating among humans, including 229E. All four of these coronaviruses cause common colds, and in the most optimistic scenario, experts have told me, our newest coronavirus will end up as the fifth. In that case, COVID-19 might look a lot like a cold from 229E—recurrent but largely unremarkable.

That future may be hard to imagine with intensive-care units filling up yet again during this Delta surge. But the pandemic will end. One way or another, it will end. The current spikes in cases and deaths are the result of a novel coronavirus meeting naive immune systems. When enough people have gained some immunity through either vaccination or infection—preferably vaccination—the coronavirus will transition to what epidemiologists call “endemic.” It won’t be eliminated, but it won’t upend our lives anymore.

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-lt-gov-dan-patrick-152705838.html

"Well Laura, the COVID is spreading, most of the numbers are among the unvaccinated, and the Democrats like to blame the Republicans on that. Well, the biggest group in most states are African Americans who have not been vaccinated," Patrick said. "And last time I checked, over 90% of them vote for Democrats in their major cities and major counties. So it's up to the Democrats to get - just as it's up to the Republicans, to try to get as many people vaccinated.

"The US Census Bureau's Household Pulse survey for July 21 to August 2 found that 2.1 million non-Hispanic white Texans reported that they will probably not, definitely, or have not taken the COVID-19 vaccine compared to 703,594 Black Texans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back