The Kappa Alpha Psi Chapter at Morgan State University rejects a gay student.

JAG89

THE NEW AMERICA'S TEAM
Morgan State Fraternity on Probation for Rejecting Gay Student
Senior Brian Stewart was rejected a day after his interview with the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity and subjected to derogatory slurs on social media from members.

By: Stephen A. Crockett Jr.
Posted: Dec. 4 2013 1:49 PM

A Morgan State chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi has been placed on probation until fall 2015, university officials said Tuesday for discriminating against a gay student who wanted to join the fraternity, the Baltimore Sun reports.

Senior Brian Stewart filed a formal complaint with the university, in late October claiming that the fraternity rejected him because he is gay. The 20-year-old former White House intern said that he dreamed of joining the fraternity because his mentor had been a member. He was devastated when someone sent him messages via social media, which used a slur to describe his sexual orientation, the Sun reports.

Morgan spokesman Jarrett Carter Sr. said a disciplinary panel, made up of students, faculty and staff, investigated the complaint and found that the chapter violated university policies. Three students in the fraternity also faced judicial review, but Carter declined to comment to the Sun if those students received disciplinary actions.

The probation means that the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity on Morgan's campus cannot register as an official organization, participate in university-sponsored events or host events on or off campus, the Sun reports.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/cul...y_on_probation_for_rejecting_gay_student.html

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
My only problem is that most fraternities were founded on the principle of MANHOOD. I can not see how any man can demonstrate MANHOOD when he really wants to be a woman. Therefore, IMO the words "sweet" and "pretty" should not be terms used to describe a person's characteristics who is a member of an ALL MALE fraternity.

I have a question. Hear me out on this one. I don't mean it to sound harsh or anything.

Why can't gay male college students form their own fraternity? It actually could be a great idea for them. It would definitely catch on nationwide in today's climate of social acceptance.

For the record, I'm not against gays. They're human just like anybody else. It seems that peace and harmony would prevail if they had their own...just like women with sororities and men with fraternities. They could take up causes that affect their social group...just like men's fraternities and women's sororities.

It just seems like a gay man in a traditional male BGLO is hustling backward.

I have a question. Hear me out on this one. I don't mean it to sound harsh or anything.

Why can't gay male college students form their own fraternity? It actually could be a great idea for them. It would definitely catch on nationwide in today's climate of social acceptance.

For the record, I'm not against gays. They're human just like anybody else. It seems that peace and harmony would prevail if they had their own...just like women with sororities and men with fraternities. They could take up causes that affect their social group...just like men's fraternities and women's sororities.

Perhaps.

But, don't you agree with JAG89's point that there's a conflict between calling each other "sweet" and "pretty" and claiming to be straight.

Isn't choosing members based on their attractiveness kinda gay? You got men looking at other men to see if they are pretty ... and then they don't want to let in a homosexual? Doesn't that seem to be a little bit hypocritical to you?

I totally agree. Since their sexual preference (LGBT community) is totally different from heterosexuals, it seems like they would be more adamant in starting SOCIAL organizations that best serve their SOCIAL preference. Why join an organization knowing that you might be completely ignored and disregarded as a member by other members? Most Greek letter fraternities and sororities are social organizations, not some work place.

Last edited:
Perhaps.

But, don't you agree with JAG89's point that there's a conflict between calling each other "sweet" and "pretty" and claiming to be straight.

Isn't choosing members based on their attractiveness kinda gay? You got men looking at other men to see if they are pretty ... and then they don't want to let in a homosexual? Doesn't that seem to be a little bit hypocritical to you?

More like an oxymoron.

My only problem is that most fraternities were founded on the principle of MANHOOD. I can not see how any man can demonstrate MANHOOD when he really wants to be a woman. Therefore, IMO the words "sweet" and "pretty" should not be terms used to describe a person's characteristics who is a member of an ALL MALE fraternity.
Just because you're gay doesn't mean you want to be a woman... Very ignorant Statement....

www.dphiu.org and www.gammamuphi.org

Just because you're gay doesn't mean you want to be a woman... Very ignorant Statement....

LOL!!!! You are so right, because the term gay can refer to someone that is a lesbian, which is the other way around. If you think my statement was ignorant, then I would rather make ignorant statements then make ignorant and confused statements, because what you are referring to is based on your IGNORANT and CONFUSED opinion.

Last edited:
I can understand having requirements for membership, but there has to be some acknowledgment that allegedly denying someone based on sexual preference is gonna come with scrutiny.

That shimmying shit they do is not masculine at all. They carry themselves like homosexuals so how can they be mad when one tries to join?

I just don't understand why a men's social organization is under scrutiny for this stuff. They should have the right to admit or deny whomever they please.

Every knock doesn't deserve an answer.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I just don't understand why a men's social organization is under scrutiny for this stuff. They should have the right to admit or deny whomever they please.

Every knock doesn't deserve an answer.

I'm not trying to make the Kappas look bad, but if you read the article, you'll noticed the gay individual dreamed of becoming a Kappa because his mentor was a member. I do believe this person saw something in Kappa Alpha Psi that he really liked and can relate to.

The 20-year-old former White House intern said that he dreamed of joining the fraternity because his mentor had been a member.

It really is. And a lot of them know that a lot of our orgs are based on masculinity. I'm not saying discriminate based on sexuality but as a Kappa said on Facebook, if I paid for membership into my org, I can vote however I want. If it's best for the image of a FRAT to not have a couple of members sashaying around while strolling so be it. Being in a frat on a college campus a lot of times is based on being popular. Even if gays are (forcibly) becoming more accepted, it can very damaging to the life of a chapter (especially at a HBCU) if you have a frat in a tight shirt and skinny jeans sounding like MJ with a limp wrist. I've witnessed it first hand....

It really is. And a lot of them know that a lot of our orgs are based on masculinity. I'm not saying discriminate based on sexuality but as a Kappa said on Facebook, if I paid for membership into my org, I can vote however I want. If it's best for the image of a FRAT to not have a couple of members sashaying around while strolling so be it. Being in a frat on a college campus a lot of times is based on being popular. Even if gays are (forcibly) becoming more accepted, it can very damaging to the life of a chapter (especially at a HBCU) if you have a frat in a tight shirt and skinny jeans sounding like MJ with a limp wrist. I've witnessed it first hand....

I have too.

BGLO's need to step up and stand up for themselves in this regard. But they won't don't want to be ostracized by the gay community...which is growing larger by the day, especially in the Black community.

It's not oppression. It's exclusion. Every social organization has the right to exclude who they do and don't want.

You think Prince Hall gave up on becoming a Mason because white folk in Boston kept him out of their lodges? HELL no. He found a way.

Honestly, that is a battle lost. You are better off letting them in. I agree with the manhood argument but in 2013, it is a lost battle.

Good job Nupes. We have a right to chose who we seek fit, fock all the other ignorant dumb shat stated in this thread.

Back