The Godfather of Harlem

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
You got Comcast/Xfinity.....go ahead and pay that little 5.95 and cancel it when the series is over........LOL

That's my plan....now if they come with something else like a MLK biopic that will really go deep then I will keep it.

This series continues to intrigue me. This is why we need to continue to tell our own stories. As much as stuff as I've read and watched concerning the Italian Mafia including those names that were revealed in Episode 6, I never knew the extent of Bumpy and other Black Gangsters had in dealing with them.

The Shaft themes make a little more sense now. In the original and the 2nd one, the character Bumpy Jonas was always clashing with the Italians. When you watch those Mafia stories/documentaries, movies, you would think that "Blacks or Coloreds" as they called us did not exist or had no kind of presence.

I've seen some interesting actors play Elijah Muhammad over the years. None of them bad, just interesting. Clifton Davis by far is the most interesting one yet. I can't help but wonder, what if Malcolm had taken full control of the N.O.I. and maintained the influence he once had. But then again, the FBI was always infiltrating, using agents to sow seeds of discord in everything and the word was, he would have cleaned the house. They definitely did a number on the N.O.I.

#randomthoughts

Last edited:
This series continues to intrigue me. This is why we need to continue to tell our own stories. As much as stuff as I've read and watched concerning the Italian Mafia including those names that were revealed in Episode 6, I never knew the extent of Bumpy and other Black Gangsters had in dealing with them.

The Shaft themes make a little more sense now. In the original and the 2nd one, the character Bumpy Jonas was always clashing with the Italians. When you watch those Mafia stories/documentaries, movies, you would think that "Blacks or Coloreds" as they called us did not exist or had no kind of presence.

I've seen some interesting actors play Elijah Muhammad over the years. None of them bad, just interesting. Clifton Davis by far is the most interesting one yet. I can't help but wonder, what if Malcolm had taken full control of the N.O.I. and maintained the influence he once had. But then again, the FBI was always infiltrating, using agents to sow seeds of discord in everything and the word was, he would have cleaned the house. They definitely did a number on the N.O.I.

#randomthoughts

I watch the documentary called Gangsters and the other on Mobsters. Many of the black ones they mention are modern day and there is a reason behind that. Many of the black people associated with the black gangsters refuse to speak on it unlike their white counterparts who snitch or have just said eff it I'm talking about the mob regardless since the the old guard is dead.

A former black hustler who is well in to his 80s is a yoga student at my sister's studio. My sister said that each day a big body Benze drops him off and picks him up. You don't know who is in it and the driver never gets out to open the door. My sister is also a Malcolm X fan and every so often this older man would bring up Malcolm and old school gangsters and how life was back then. She said he doesn't speak on it much but since she has been watching this show she wants to ask him questions.

My only beef with Bumpy. He keep looking for acceptance from the Italians. I mean, he can't make a move without asking them.

Hmmm, I know that Bumpy inevitably went to war with Dutch Shultz (German-Jewish American Mobster) and I don't think he was buddy, buddy in the later days with the Italians though he did work with Lucky Luciano to oust Shultz...........

Last edited:
Just reading the thread, It appears a few of you all didn't see Hoodlum. If you didn't and like the Godfather of Harlem, you should check it out.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
That Esther woman will be the down fall of the Right Reverend......it looks innocuous right now....

Just reading the thread, It appears a few of you all didn't see Hoodlum. If you didn't and like the Godfather of Harlem, you should check it out.
It's been a minute since I've seen that movie. I remember the name Dutch Schultz but I never realized Bumpy had dealings with that Italian Mafia Boss that acted like he was crazy for years.

I also remember, Fishburne played that same character in an 80s movie called, "The Cotton Club."

Back