The Godfather of Harlem

Oh man!!!!!!

This show is awesome. Anybody watching?

I am,....man I love this show. I read an article that contained information about how much research Forrest Whitaker did about Bumpy Johnson and how many interviews he did with people that knew of or knew Bumpy personally. It really shows in the quality of the show. Based on information I saw before I even knew about the show, there are some that say Bumpy did have a close relationship with Brother Malcolm. Here's a vid:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Oh man!!!!!!

This show is awesome. Anybody watching?
This has always been on my bucket list.

I am,....man I love this show. I read an article that contained information about how much research Forrest Whitaker did about Bumpy Johnson and how many interviews he did with people that knew of or knew Bumpy personally. It really shows in the quality of the show. Based on information I saw before I even knew about the show, there are some that say Bumpy did have a close relationship with Brother Malcolm. Here's a vid:

The character of Bumpy has always been intriguing. In addition to the documentaries I've seen about his relationship with Malcolm, I've always heard that the Bumpy character from the first two Shaft Movies were loosely based on him. Then of course there are the portrayals of him by Laurence Fishburne in "Cotton Comes to Harlem," and "Hoodlum."

Based on information I saw before I even knew about the show, there are some that say Bumpy did have a close relationship with Brother Malcolm. Here's a vid:

That's why after reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X I was pissed at Spike Lee. Spike left out some valuable pieces and attempted to sensationalize the story rather than sensationalizing the facts in the book.

For example....Malcolm's sister and brother were already Muslims and introduced Islam to Malcolm. The book also noted a relationship that Malcolm has with a certain gangster that he knew from his past.

Ummmmm Bumpy's wife.....my goodness.

The character of Bumpy has always been intriguing. In addition to the documentaries I've seen about his relationship with Malcolm, I've always heard that the Bumpy character from the first two Shaft Movies were loosely based on him. Then of course there are the portrayals of him by Laurence Fishburne in "Cotton Comes to Harlem," and "Hoodlum."

@LAW DAWG @BulldogM.Ed.23
If I'm not mistaken the guy driving with the perm and part on the side of his head is Frank Lucas.

@LAW DAWG @BulldogM.Ed.23
If I'm not mistaken the guy driving with the perm and part on the side of his head is Frank Lucas.

I have my doubts because Bumpy's wife said Frank Lucas was lying about the extent of his involvement with Bumpy. I don't know if she's still alive now, but she was 90 something years old when I listened to the interview. I recall her saying she felt Frank's motivation for claiming a close relationship with Bumpy was money related. I also recall hearing the passion in her voice about her late husband. If you find the interview on youtube you can tell her husband meant the world to her.

Now you're original, a lot of folks missed the Bumpy character in the 1970's Shaft.

What is it on?

EPIXHD 1891 on Uverse, if you don't subscribe to EPIX then go to your search feature and type in EXPIX. Once the screen populates with EPIX choices then look for the one that says EPIX Freeview. You can watch the first two episodes there without having to subscribe. I'm not sure if EPIX will eventually drop all ten episodes for free, but you can always go back and check weekly.

EPIXHD 1891 on Uverse, if you don't subscribe to EPIX then go to your search feature and type in EXPIX. Once the screen populates with EPIX choices then look for the one that says EPIX Freeview. You can watch the first two episodes there without having to subscribe. I'm not sure if EPIX will eventually drop all ten episodes for free, but you can always go back and check weekly.

I added it to Direct TV for $5. So far it has good movies as well.

You ain't need Cinemax anyway.....you might get too excited.
They take Cinemax which I had already paid for and add HITZ that is On-Demand. Actually I wrote a letter and got Cinemax back for the length of my contract. I am not paying extra to watch movies or sports.

Last edited:
Watching Episode 2 as I type. It is usually the action that draws me into a series but the strength of this one lies in the dramatic acting of many.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Adam Clayton Powell Jr

I've read about him and looked at many documentaries regarding him. However, this is like the first drama of any kind that I know of that has an actor that portrays the man himself. He was so bold in doing what other white politicians were doing good and bad. He got a way with it because like they stated in episode 3, he had the votes until he no longer had them.

I remember reading in Malcolm's Autobiography about how Powell was one of the few politicians he respected. I can now see why. At the end of the day, women, limelight, and vacation trips aside (LOL), he seemed to be for the people. I think that was one of his famous quotes.

The wit and convo between he and Malcolm is cool too. They recognized each other's influence (The largest Black Christian Church and largest NOI Mosque) and the need to work with each other for their own agenda.

Last edited:
Adam Clayton Powell Jr

I've read about him and looked at many documentaries regarding him. However, this is like the first drama of any kind that I know of that has an actor that portrays the man himself. He was so bold in doing what other white politicians were doing good and bad. He got a way with it because like they stated in episode 3, he had the votes until he no longer had them.

I remember reading in Malcolm's Autobiography about how Powell was one of the few politicians he respected. I can now see why. At the end of the day, women, limelight, and vacation trips aside (LOL), he seemed to be for the people. I think that was one of his famous quotes.

The wit and convo between he and Malcolm is cool too. They recognized each other's influence (The largest Black Christian Church and largest NOI Mosque) and the need to work with each other for their own agenda.

We just talking about this last night in the barber shop.

In the words of Young Jeezy....Adam Clayton Powell was a God in the hood....

I knew of a fight or two that Ali almost lost before he was champ. I never heard of Doug Jones until that last episode. I looked it up and it seems the episode the other night was very truthful. Wow!

Seems like Doug's career slowly regressed after that fight.... https://www.boxingoverbroadway.com/doug-jones-boxer-gave-young-cassius-clay-toughest-fight-dies-80/

What tripped me out was Bumpy's wife was sleeping with the dude. LOL...how she broke up with him made it seem like dude was crying on the other end of the phone. LOL

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!

Yall missed this part....

Bumpy was screwing Gloria Vanderbilt!!!! Anderson Cooper's momma....LMAO!!!!!!!

That was very interesting. Bumpy was doing his thing while she was doing her thing. Seemed like it was all in the game for them both.

What tripped me out was Bumpy's wife was sleeping with the dude. LOL...how she broke up with him made it seem like dude was crying on the other end of the phone. LOL

Back