The #1 rated football recruit for 2018 is asking what would happen if we started going to HBCUs

I mean, you can't be mad at a kid for seeing Oregon's facilities then going to see Gramblings and wonder why they'd choose Oregon. And it doesn't even have to just be about facilities. If he chooses Oregon, he gets to play on prime time tv every game that has a good matchup against the top players in the country. He gets the best nutritionists, the best coaches and a cost of living stipend. Other than A&T, is there anyone that even gives the cost of living money? You could literally find a ton of reasons why those schools get the best players. I never really cared about going to any of those games and prior to a few years ago, the most electric game i'd been to was the magic city classic. Then... I went to an SEC championship game. The atmosphere was straight nuts. It's really not hard to see why they choose the way they do.
History, pride in the culture, self respect, love of self? Are parents teaching their children anything beyond self promotion these days?

Try depositing any of that at the bank. Four and five star athletes are almost guaranteed to be millionaires. Going to the USCs and OHIO STs insures that outcome.

Your accolades insures that. You can play anywhere.

We have bought in thinking where you go matters. Blacks were getting drafted in the first round from HBCUs years ago playing against themselves exclusively.

Your accolades insures that. You can play anywhere.

We have bought in thinking where you go matters. Blacks were getting drafted in the first round from HBCUs years ago playing against themselves exclusively.
Key phrase, "years ago". That was before integration. We'll never see those days again.

I find oftentimes a lot of HBCU alums want star Black athletes to attend their alma maters so their alma maters can grow in money and prestige and not because of anything the HBCUs will do anything more for the athletes than the PWIs will do. Lets be real about it. Some of these PWIs do a better job of making sure Black athletes leave with a degree more so than our HBCUs.

I have a cousin who was a 5 star athlete and he went to a major PWI. He also was a first round draft pick and he's doing well post-NFL. The university he went to not only recruited him but also recruited his parents. I'm talking about job promotions for his parents. HBCUs, most of them, can't pull those kinds of strings. Have you ever heard the term "scholarship for life?" That's a term that star athletes at PWIs get after their playing days are over and they get jobs at the universities they attended. Those former athletes will always have jobs at their alma maters and not penny-any jobs either. There's really no comparison between HBCUs and PWIs (Power 5 PWIs especially). We should stop comparing them.

I chose to say integration because it suggest a state of equality. Desegregation suggests the dismantling of laws, customs and practices that held Black people to be unequal to whites.
Integration suggests that two separate things are combined and made whole with equality (participation, membership, status), that didn't/hasn't happened in my opinion. This isn't the forum for this discussion and differing opinions and perspectives are bound to prevail.

Last edited:
I find oftentimes a lot of HBCU alums want star Black athletes to attend their alma maters so their alma maters can grow in money and prestige and not because of anything the HBCUs will do anything more for the athletes than the PWIs will do. Lets be real about it. Some of these PWIs do a better job of making sure Black athletes leave with a degree more so than our HBCUs.

I have a cousin who was a 5 star athlete and he went to a major PWI. He also was a first round draft pick and he's doing well post-NFL. The university he went to not only recruited him but also recruited his parents. I'm talking about job promotions for his parents. HBCUs, most of them, can't pull those kinds of strings. Have you ever heard the term "scholarship for life?" That's a term that star athletes at PWIs get after their playing days are over and they get jobs at the universities they attended. Those former athletes will always have jobs at their alma maters and not penny-any jobs either. There's really no comparison between HBCUs and PWIs (Power 5 PWIs especially). We should stop comparing them.
PWI's have enough recurring jobs for former athletes and their parents in perpetuity?

PWI's have enough recurring jobs for former athletes and their parents in perpetuity?

If not at the schools there are plenty of job opportunities for those former athletes through alumni networks. Also, a lot of PWIs have scholarship funds for the children of former athletes.

There are comparisons to be made, for sure. Job promotions for your cousin's parents is an illegal inducement. I'm glad he made it to the NFL. What about the students who aren't 5 star athletes? The college life for the ordinary Black students at a PWI can sometimes be difficult. The intangibles of college life at an HBCU is something l wouldn't trade for anything. You learn and grow in an environment where your success is everybody's concern.

Not sure about that. A small percentage get that once your deemed to have value or you can drop a dime on them. Most are wondering in the wind.

Not sure about that. A small percentage get that once your deemed to have value or you can drop a dime on them. Most are wondering in the wind.
+1.

*thinking about that former 5* LBer at OU who they dropped like a hot potatoe and last I heard he was sacking groceries at Albertsons grocer, no degree smgdh*

This shit is as real as real gets. If the athletic biy isn’t prime athleticsm, he’s not getting caked. So, what about the others who come through? Thank you ncaa apr.

integration suggests that two separate things are combine and made whole with equality (participation, membership, status), that didn't/hasn't happened in my opinion. This is the forum for this discussion and differing opinions and perspectives are bound to prevail.
Whether they recognize it or not, we are equal, and in many cases superior. Some people say "po-tay- toe" and some say "po-ta-toe". Just pass me the "tay-ters".

There are comparisons to be made, for sure. Job promotions for your cousin's parents is an illegal inducement. I'm glad he made it to the NFL. What about the students who aren't 5 star athletes? The college life for the ordinary Black students at a PWI can sometimes be difficult. The intangibles of college life at an HBCU is something l wouldn't trade for anything. You learn and grow in an environment where your success is everybody's concern.

I transferred from an HBCU to a PWI. Best decision I ever made. I encountered less difficulties at the PWI than the HBCU. And, I know I'm not alone because I see more Blacks going to PWIs over HBCUs and HBCU alums sending their kids to PWIs over their alma maters. HBCUs have a grave leadership problem. Basically, too many HBCU leaders are old or think old. We are in a global environment but most HBCUs are being ran as if we are still in legal segregation.

You can't fault a PWI for a former athlete who doesn't take advantage of their opportunities. And, I know former HBCU athletes who made their lives into crap too. That's not any fault of an HBCU either.

Well, I was at the same PWI with my cousin. And, I starred in the books. Got scholarships throughout my time at that PWI in undergrad and graduate school. It's all about having discipline and taking advantage of the opportunities that are afforded to you. And, I felt my success was everyone's concern at the PWI and not at the HBCU I left.

I transferred from an HBCU to a PWI. Best decision I ever made. I encountered less difficulties at the PWI than the HBCU. And, I know I'm not alone because I see more Blacks going to PWIs over HBCUs and HBCU alums sending their kids to PWIs over their alma maters. HBCUs have a grave leadership problem. Basically, too many HBCU leaders are old or think old. We are in a global environment but most HBCUs are being ran as if we are still in legal segregation.

Why the hell are you even on here?

I had no issues at Alabama state.

I’ve had to do some things at Georgia State and it was the worst experience I ever had. Nobody knows what the hell is going on there, they sent me from one campus in Decatur to one downtown, when the whole time I was supposed to go to another campus in Clarkston.

The grass isn’t always greener at PWIs

Why the hell are you even on here?

I had no issues at Alabama state.

I’ve had to do some things at Georgia State and it was the worst experience I ever had. Nobody knows what the hell is going on there, they sent me from one campus in Decatur to one downtown, when the whole time I was supposed to go to another campus in Clarkston.

The grass isn’t always greener at PWIs

For you to even ask why I am here shows you think in an antiquated fashion. To answer your question I enjoy HBCU sports. I'm glad you had no issues at ASU. But, I had issues at my HBCU and none at the PWI I went to.

Another thing I noticed is that many of you all act like everyone at an HBCU is for every Black person. That's a lie. Some Black folks at HBCUs don't give a crap other Blacks for a myriad of reasons. Stop spreading this falsehood that HBCUs are this utopia for all Black folks because they are not. I'll be the first to say while I had a good experience at a PWI, PWIs aren't for everyone.

For you to even ask why I am here shows you think in an antiquated fashion. To answer your question I enjoy HBCU sports. I'm glad you had no issues at ASU. But, I had issues at my HBCU and none at the PWI I went to.

Another thing I noticed is that many of you all act like everyone at an HBCU is for every Black person. That's a lie. Some Black folks at HBCUs don't give a crap other Blacks for a myriad of reasons. Stop spreading this falsehood that HBCUs are this utopia for all Black folks because they are not. I'll be the first to say while I had a good experience at a PWI, PWIs aren't for everyone.
There's really no comparison between HBCUs and PWIs (Power 5 PWIs especially). We should stop comparing them.

Without oozing an antiquated perspective on this subject, may I ask what it is that you enjoy about HBCU sports when there really is no comparison?

Back