That time of year again......MY BOYZ....LANIER BACK AT IT!

Originally posted by Robber
They wanted to play with the best player in the country, Al Jefferson, from little ole Prentiss, MS. Nike treated them guys like kings because of Al. And their coach rolls out the red carpet, as well.

The boy got his own money!!! :lol: www.bigalj.com

Callaway's Thomas sets school record with 56 points

By Robert Wilson
rwilson@clarionledger.com

Eddie Archie was one of the most exciting players to ever wear a Callaway boys basketball uniform, but he never did what Charles Thomas did last week.

Thomas scored a school-record 56 points in a 91-88 victory over Jim Hill, breaking Archie's 23-year-old single-game scoring record.

Archie scored 47 points twice during the 1979-80 season.

"Charles got most of his points in the paint," Callaway coach Robert Stewart said. "He posted up on the block and our guards, Michael Hoover and Bobby Clark, got him the ball. Charles hit two 3s and made 12 of 17 free throws."

Thomas' outburst was the most by a Jackson Public Schools player since Lanier's Jerry Nichols scored 58 during the 1993-94 season. Murrah's James Robinson holds the JPS record with 66 during the 1988-89 season.

The 6-foot-8 Thomas continued his torrid scoring pace Monday night as he scored 47 while playing only three quarters in a 113-71 victory over Warren Central. Thomas made two 3-pointers and 14 of 14 from the line.

Thomas, an Arkansas signee and Lanier transfer, is averaging 39.6 points through five games for the 4-1 Chargers, ranked No. 5 in The Clarion-Ledger preseason poll. He is chasing Robinson's JPS record of 40.7 points per game during the 1988-89 season.

Lookout JPS; and others, there's a new Sheriff in town, and his name is Charles Thomas.

Monta Who?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by sop83
After watching the last three Callaway boys? games, and the Lanier game against Jim Hill the other night at Jackson State. I have come to the conclusion that Callaway will sweep Lanier this year.

Ain't happening bruh. Coaching is the reason why. Callaway is poorly coached. (Why do you think Thomas and Clark left in the first place). Stewart doesn't know how to use those boys (except for Thomas). Tell me why Mekel Marshall doesn't so much as touch the ball in the paint? Keep in mind he's 6'9, 250? Stewart has turned him into a token big man. And this is not because of the low post presence of Charles Thomas either. This was also the case this past summer when Thomas was still at Lanier. Mekel was running up and down the court for nothing. He finally got so frustrasted the he just jacked up a wild three. :lol:

The reason I say this is because if Jim Hill had just one big man, they would have beaten Lanier. The only real big man Lanier has is Rhodes, and he is too lite in the arse! Callaway has several actual big men that can stop Rhodes from dominating under the board.

First of all, Jim Hill lost to Callaway and all those "actual big men" by a whole 3 points. Lanier beat Jim Hil by 10. But Jim Hill is a team that just plays Lanier close every single game. Simple as that. Go back and look at their history. That's the one Jackson team that Billups always worries about. Jim Hill's coach learned under Billups and knows him well. The game is always close.

And Callaway only has two big men.... Thomas and Marshall. And like I said Marshall isn't even being used so he doesn't count. He didn't even start against Wingfield! :smh: Overall Lanier is as big as, if not bigger than, Callaway.

And as for Monta Ellis, Callaway has an answer for him also. His name is Charles Thomas

Dude Stewart would have to be an idiot to put Thomas on Ellis. Monta is gonna get his no matter who's guarding him. And if you put Thomas on Ellis, who's gonna guard Rhodes? Not Clark, he's too small. Not Marshall, he's too slow. Thomas has to guard Rhodes. That's a no brainer. :smash:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, Monta only was able to to get 23 points against Jim Hill Monday night correct?

Uhhh dude, what is wrong with 23 points? Sheesh. You must've forgetten to mention that Monta had a 40 and 43 point game this season too. :smh: Don't come on here being bias now. :lol:

and last night against Meridian he only managed to get 13. Payback is a mother!

Dude Monta was taken out of the game in the middle of the second quarter and didn't return until the 4th qtr last night... thus 13 points. Try again. :p

BTW--- Monday night the Alabama Crimson Tide coach Mark Gottfried was there to see Monta. Last night, scouts from Texas and UNC were there to see him. ;)

Claim down claim down, I didn't mean that Stewart was going to put Thomas on Ellis, what I meant by my comment was that Thomas was Callaway?s answer for putting up big numbers like Monta does for Lanier.

Now Lanier really does only have one big man and that is Rhodes. And Callaway has more than two. Callaway will take Lanier.

Rhodes has an attitude problem that makes him prone to fouls. All we have to do is put a fish in the game off the bench to do one thing, and that is aggravate the (L) out of Rhodes and he will respond. I have seen this over an over with him. He fouled out against Jim Hill. Jim Hill's coach was not smart enough to go after Rhodes, but C-Way will.

Want about the 13 points? Explain that low performance. That?s not the first time Monta has been taken out of his game. Who has the highest point average so far in JPS. Charles Thomas!

Charles Thomas has the highest average, but there's a huge drop off after that. No one else is getting it done for them... not even Clark. Yes Thomas is getting 40 a night, but Lanier has two players that are getting 30!. Lanier is averaging way more points per game as a team than C-Way. Explain that one.

Rhodes fouled out in the final seconds of the Hill game. So what. That game was poorly officiated anyway, and you know it. The refs wouldn't let them play.

If you're only chance is by hoping to make Rhodes get mad, then you're in for a long night. What kinda strategy is that?

I told you why Monta only scored 13. He barely played. Now you explain why Bobby Clark can't get over 16 while playing the whole game.

Simple, Clark is playing with a bad knee. He is not back to 100% yet. But by the time we get to Lanier, he'll be ready. Does that answer your question. And no that was not poor officiating. That female ref. was not afraid of Billups like all those male refs are. That's why she gave his but a Tech. And then looked at him as if she dared him to say something else! He back down did he. Lanier is use to getting calls to go thier way. But that night it didn't happen like that, and you know that!

Ohhhhhh so now Clark's knee is bothering him and keeping him from gettin' it done. Okay. Funny how it isn't stopping him from getting those 2-3 highlight reel dunks every night though. :rolleyes:

But since we're finding excuses. How about Monta broke his (shooting) arm over the summer. He recovered just in time for the season. It's still bothering him. That's why he only had 23 against Hill. :p

BTW - The Hill game was poorly officiated on both ends. Most of those fouls were tick-tack. I have allegiances to neither school. I'm just calling it like I see it. ;)

pssss....

Madison Central is 8-0......

;) :D ;)

Here's how the teams are doing so far....
LANIER BULLDOGS 6-0
Lanier 102 Terry 60w
Lanier 83 Murrah 53w
Lanier 106 Wingfield 45w
Lanier 112 Forest Hill 62w
Lanier 62 Jim Hill 52w
Lanier 82 Meridian 71w

PROVINE RAMS 6-0
Provine 72 Vicksburg 50w
Provine 75 Port Gibson 42w
Provine 93 Warren Central 58w
Provine 77 Murrah 48w
Provine 66 Bailey 48w
Provine 78 Wingfield 45w

Ofcourse I have to pick my Alma Matar as this year's Cinderalla team in the state. The JAGS are off to a SUPRISING start in 5A.
MADISON CENTRAL JAGUARS 8-0
Madison Central 61 McComb 57w
Madison Central 65 Brookhaven 48w
Madison Central 61 Yazoo County 48w
Madison Central 57 Canton 55w
Madison Central 91 Madison St. Joseph 39w
Madison Central 64 Hinds AHS 46w
Madison Central 64 Ridgeland 45w
Madison Central 40 Columbus 35w

Back