Tavis Smiley's "We Count! Black Agenda in America" Summit...CSPAN link

I still ain't made it through even half of it but I could tell it Tavis would probably be the main if not only one pushin that shat. I don't care for him either. He ran off the Tom Joyner mornin show in batch fashion to me when folk got on him about Obama. Then he comes back and picks up DIRECTLY where he left off. He gave a speech almost like he didn't want any questions to be asked by Tom and didn't tell him what he was going to say either. He just looked shady and like he was on a mission from the get go.

He seems to want to be the next generation of black leader when we don't need one. And I think he sees Obama as a threat to that throne when nobody even looks at Obama as a black leader.

Yeah man..go through the rest of the video....its obvious the way tavis references obama on alot of occassions is rather suspect....then he trys to pitch other folk on the panel against him....then he tries to cover it up with..."in love".....when folk have something good to say about Obama..the look on his face is crazy....lol

I was there. It was a beautiful thing. I had NO PROBLEM with anything they said. It's all about holding a politician accountable.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I was there. It was a beautiful thing. I had NO PROBLEM with anything they said. It's all about holding a politician accountable.

Naw.....it's about holding a BLACK POLITICIAN accountable because he didn't step and fetch when they told him to. How about they hold each other accountable because a politician can only do so much. Everybody wants to be the leader but nobody wants to BE the LEADER.......

I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day........

Naw.....it's about holding a BLACK POLITICIAN accountable because he didn't step and fetch when they told him to. How about they hold each other accountable because a politician can only do so much. Everybody wants to be the leader but nobody wants to BE the LEADER.......

I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day........

They were holding him accountable for his actions in how they have benefited everyone in this country except us. It's nothing wrong with that when it's the truth. Their case was based on facts, not opinions.

They were holding him accountable for his actions in how they have benefited everyone in this country except us. It's nothing wrong with that when it's the truth. Their case was based on facts, not opinions.

That's what I got out of it...

:tup:

Man black folks have got to be the most selfish folks on earth. Look, this man actions have benefited us. When the poor gets help, that is us. When the middle class gets help, that is us. These folks views were based on nothing but the same ole selfish shyt we see everyday since slavery ended. Crabs in the bucket.

Man black folks have got to be the most selfish folks on earth. Look, this man actions have benefited us. When the poor gets help, that is us. When the middle class gets help, that is us. These folks views were based on nothing but the same ole selfish shyt we see everyday since slavery ended. Crabs in the bucket.

CEE, what's selfish about wanting legislation writen clearer so that all schools situation for all races are equal? What's selfish about wanting legislation so the pwcs aren't getting more than hbcus with our tax dollars? What's selfish about wanting legislation writen so that these unions who run y'all democratic party start having the black workers interest at heart or hell actually hire more blacks vs the lopsided figure they already have with whites vs black...
What's selfish about writing legislature so that one of our poor cousins don't go to jail for a much longer time for crack vs. One of our white coworkers sons for cocaine?...

What's selfish about any of that? One could say give him time but the panel brought up facts to where he said what's being done for blacks is in the stimulous bill...which is a joke

So affordable health care doesn't benefit us? Lowered taxes on the middle and lower class doesn't help us? 60 million additional funds to HBCU's don't help us? Better access and availability of Pell Grants don't help us? The jobs bill don't help us? He' not even halfway through his term yet....

Am I missing something here? Since he is the President and his job is to help ALL American citizens maybe we should ask Tavis and the peanut gallery what have they done other than pander, grandstand, and kiss Bill Clinton's ass like if he's Moses........ With love of course.

Last edited:
So affordable health care doesn't benefit us? Lowered taxes on the middle and lower class doesn't help us? 60 million additional funds to HBCU's don't help us? Better access and availability of Pell Grants don't help us? The jobs bill don't help us? He' not even halfway through his term yet....

Am I missing something here? Since he is the President and his job is to help ALL American citizens maybe we should ask Tavis and the peanut gallery what have they done other than pander, grandstand, and kiss Bill Clinton's ass like if he's Moses........ With love of course.

Lol @ "with love"

CEE, what's selfish about wanting legislation writen clearer so that all schools situation for all races are equal? What's selfish about wanting legislation so the pwcs aren't getting more than hbcus with our tax dollars? What's selfish about wanting legislation writen so that these unions who run y'all democratic party start having the black workers interest at heart or hell actually hire more blacks vs the lopsided figure they already have with whites vs black...
What's selfish about writing legislature so that one of our poor cousins don't go to jail for a much longer time for crack vs. One of our white coworkers sons for cocaine?...

What's selfish about any of that? One could say give him time but the panel brought up facts to where he said what's being done for blacks is in the stimulous bill...which is a joke

Man all yall keep talking about is the dang stimulus bill and health care. Do you all not realize that this country is in the worst shape it has been in since the great depression? That means that black folks who were already doing bad, is doing worst than ever. Yes it is selfish to worry about bull junk doing a time when folks are in the worst shape they have ever been in. The first thing is to get folks help and put them to work. When that happens our communities are in better shape. Our schools are in better shape and our homes and everyday lives are in better shape. When you are selfish and live in a world where you have no compassion, you forget those things!!!

Pj,

In responce to your post...all of those these are good for all true...but it does nothing to "change" the black race issues to make us a better race which in turn will make a much better america...don't know if you agree with that...

People voted for obama for the hope of change.....blacks can't really say we are seeing "change"...while the gay community can....

I guess my whole thing is...we shouldn't look for the first black president to be pro black but we should look for him to show us more interst than any other 43 presidents did including Bill Clinton....
The stuff he is doing is status quo for the democratic party....I am pretty sure any other democratic white candidate would be doing the same as obama at this point..

Showing more interest to a group of people that had laws written against for so long should not be something even we think is the wrong thing to do...

Man that with love crap is the worst. LOL!!

He was killing me with that shat even when Al Sharpton was rippin in his ass for misquoting him....

Someone said Tavis should have been part of the convo vs. Moderating.....I honestly think tavis is full of shyt....I like everyone on the panel though....lol

They mentioned specific groups have benefitted and they supported their comments with facts, not general assistance that's for the nation overall. There's a difference. And his distribution of funds was in question as well.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Pj,

In responce to your post...all of those these are good for all true...but it does nothing to "change" the black race issues to make us a better race which in turn will make a much better america...don't know if you agree with that...

People voted for obama for the hope of change.....blacks can't really say we are seeing "change"...while the gay community can....

I guess my whole thing is...we shouldn't look for the first black president to be pro black but we should look for him to show us more interst than any other 43 presidents did including Bill Clinton....
The stuff he is doing is status quo for the democratic party....I am pretty sure any other democratic white candidate would be doing the same as obama at this point..

Showing more interest to a group of people that had laws written against for so long should not be something even we think is the wrong thing to do...

You keep harping on Gays and Lesbians - the only major thing he has done for them is dealing with Dont Ask Dont Tell (if you are a black gay/les - you benefit too) and has spoken about equal benefits for same sex partners -

But tell us exactly what legislation YOU would propose/write - present to Congress and actually expect to get passed - that would solely be for the benefit of African-American, Black, or Negro (according to the Census - pick one). And be specific - no around the bush talk or name calling - just tell exactly the legislation you would propose and think it would get passed.

They mentioned specific groups have benefitted and they supported their comments with facts, not general assistance that's for the nation overall. There's a difference. And his distribution of funds was in question as well.

I know the groups (gays, latinos, ect) but this is the thing. How many times have you seen those groups on tv pandering vs them at the white house sitting down with Obama getting things done. How many times have you seen their leaders actively organizing with their people using peaceful and effective protests to get their point across? I don't see Tavis and the gang doing that. All talk and no action! Hell those groups have used our blueprint from the 60's & 70's while we sit back with the dumb look....smh.

I know the groups (gays, latinos, ect) but this is the thing. How many times have you seen those groups on tv pandering vs them at the white house sitting down with Obama getting things done. How many times have you seen their leaders actively organizing with their people using peaceful and effective protests to get their point across? I don't see Tavis and the gang doing that. All talk and no action! Hell those groups have used our blueprint from the 60's & 70's while we sit back with the dumb look....smh.

You know you just made the same point they did. Tavis and company is just bring it to our and the nations attention. They said through the entire round table is that we need to hold him accountable to our needs like everyone else has.

You keep harping on Gays and Lesbians - the only major thing he has done for them is dealing with Dont Ask Dont Tell (if you are a black gay/les - you benefit too) and has spoken about equal benefits for same sex partners -

But tell us exactly what legislation YOU would propose/write - present to Congress and actually expect to get passed - that would solely be for the benefit of African-American, Black, or Negro (according to the Census - pick one). And be specific - no around the bush talk or name calling - just tell exactly the legislation you would propose and think it would get passed.

I listed about 4 or 5 pieces of legislation up above ...maybe you didn't read it...but go to the post when I was asking Cee about what he considered selfish....

I did it without name calling and I did it in love.....the name calling usually starts when a few of the radicals on here leaves the convo. And try to start getting personal...

:tup:

So what is unclear (legislatively) about schools situation for all races being equal?

There is no "written" legislation that says a PWC has to get "x" amount vs HBCU - so are you saying you want him to propose legislation that HBCU's get dollar for dollar the same amount as PWC? I understand the premiss - but do you think legislation of this sort will pass - do you think legislation of this sort will erode his support of the members he has in Congress by proposing this?

I can go along with your mention of crack vs cocain and there is movement across the country to address that but it should come from the federal level.

Is this it? There has to be more?

Oh and I feel ya about the "radicals" lol

You know you just made the same point they did. Tavis and company is just bring it to our and the nations attention. They said through the entire round table is that we need to hold him accountable to our needs like everyone else has.

northern,

the "agenda" has been on the table for the black leadership before politics was a gleam in Obama's eye. Since we're holding people accountable, what about the folks that are alot CLOSER to the problems black folks see everyday?

How about the local politicians we vote into office that talk a big game in terms of changing conditions on the community level?

How about holding state elected officials responsible for how funds are allocated within your respective state?

Better yet, at what point do WE (collectively) bear responsibility for the saftey and development of our own communities?

Heck, when are we going to start holding the administrators of our institutions of higher learning to a HIGHER standard of fisical and social responsibility?

As I said earlier, the president does bear some responsibility in terms of putting ideas for legislation for the disenfranchised on the table, but we can't even petition for that with a straight face unless we're prepared to ante up so that process can be facilitated.

that means ALL of us collecitvely; From the business around the corner, to the PTA group, to the HBCU providing alternative educational and social needs for the 21st century student.

This concept ain't new; folks have been talking "change" now since the civil rights era ended. the question is where was all of this indignation when folks were working on the comunity level to start this type of societal change?

We'd better take a good long look in the mirror before we go any further.

Like Jared said earlier in the thread, there are cats that are doing the RIGHT thing in obscurity. the problem is that this type of dedication should be what OUR leaders exibit.

I'd much rather help the cat that's opening a youth center for kids to stay off of the street, or a cat that chose to bring his business back into the black community for job growth than a panelized sermon.

Agreed

northern,

the "agenda" has been on the table for the black leadership before politics was a gleam in Obama's eye. Since we're holding people accountable, what about the folks that are alot CLOSER to the problems black folks see everyday?

How about the local politicians we vote into office that talk a big game in terms of changing conditions on the community level?

How about holding state elected officials responsible for how funds are allocated within your respective state?

Better yet, at what point do WE (collectively) bear responsibility for the saftey and development of our own communities?

Heck, when are we going to start holding the administrators of our institutions of higher learning to a HIGHER standard of fisical and social responsibility?

As I said earlier, the president does bear some responsibility in terms of putting ideas for legislation for the disenfranchised on the table, but we can't even petition for that with a straight face unless we're prepared to ante up so that process can be facilitated.

that means ALL of us collecitvely; From the business around the corner, to the PTA group, to the HBCU providing alternative educational and social needs for the 21st century student.

This concept ain't new; folks have been talking "change" now since the civil rights era ended. the question is where was all of this indignation when folks were working on the comunity level to start this type of societal change?

We'd better take a good long look in the mirror before we go any further.

Like Jared said earlier in the thread, there are cats that are doing the RIGHT thing in obscurity. the problem is that this type of dedication should be what OUR leaders exibit.

I'd much rather help the cat that's opening a youth center for kids to stay off of the street, or a cat that chose to bring his business back into the black community for job growth than a panelized sermon.

CL,

Being a resident of new orleans..we had several black mayors....I know some were corrupt but not all....I am good friends with one of the mayors son.....

These local officials don't have the money to do a lot of that stuff....

Most money come to the state.....and the cities like new orleans never see it....

Nagin been doing all he can for this city but the government on the higher level would not grant any of nagin request...

So what is unclear (legislatively) about schools situation for all races being equal?

There is no "written" legislation that says a PWC has to get "x" amount vs HBCU - so are you saying you want him to propose legislation that HBCU's get dollar for dollar the same amount as PWC? I understand the premiss - but do you think legislation of this sort will pass - do you think legislation of this sort will erode his support of the members he has in Congress by proposing this?

I can go along with your mention of crack vs cocain and there is movement across the country to address that but it should come from the federal level.

Is this it? There has to be more?

Oh and I feel ya about the "radicals" lol

There is an issue about unions not hiring enough black and non white workers ...

Outside of the hbcu and pwc issues I think there need to be something passed real soon to get whites and blacks are equally proportioned in all schools across the nation which I feel will force the states to bring all schools up to standard

Back