SWAC going FBS? (SCSU nor TSU never got invites to the SWAC but BCU did)

One day yall will realize WE ALL BROKE! We aint pulling in the kind of money the others are. We dont have the donors the others do. It’s MUCH deeper than attendance and fanbases.
That's true for anybody trying to move up to FBS individually, but it's much easier to accomplish as a collective. FAMU and ASU came to that realization when they tried to do it in the early 2000s. Some of the SWAC institutions can do it together, and I think the SWAC could stay intact if we tried a hybrid division like the ASUN is doing right now with it's members. Maybe that looks like those schools break away from football to compete in FBS and the rest remain FCS. But there are some schools (JSU, SU, FAMU, Bama St, PVAMU, maybe GSU, and add TnSU and maybe one more and you have yourself your first HBCU FBS conference that can compete for bowl games) that can move up collectively within the next 3-5 years if they put a roadmap in place now. The rest of the SWAC schools need to get our athletics houses in order so that we have the infrastructure to support such a move that we can join the FBS ranks later down the road when we're ready. I think it's entirely doable and would invigorate support amongst the Black community and residing SWAC cities. We just need to come up with a plan and work to it.

There is strength in numbers.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
First off ... when talking about alumni giving in regard to athletics

1. How many LIVING alumni does your school have?
2. Of that number of living alumni, how many are members of your school's alumni association?
3. Of that number in your school's alumni association, how are they broken down by age group (ex. 35-44) and income?
4. Of that age/income breakdown ... devise donation strategies that can get some buy-in with the biggest cross-section of people.

Also, determine strategies to energize lapsed alumni to give. Learn why they’re not active givers/participants (along with alumni association members). Develop strategies to get them to give.

1. Over 20,000 people have graduated from Valley with a degree with most of those living but still the smallest alum base by far

2. Less that 5%. MAYBE with a new president and young AD that's under 40, that will energize the base (2 new chapters have formed this year and 2 more are currently being organized)

3. It was way too old 10 years ago. I graduated in 2003 and was the youngest person in the room at a few meetings I went to. People 30-50 should be the lifeline of the chapter not people that graduated in the 60s-70s. I personally have had some bad experiences with some people in leadership so that ran me off (and I aint the only person like this)

4. The new chapters being organized/activated show that they have plans but still got a ways to go to get a lot more of that 30-50 demo

We ain't got the alum base to depend a lot on us giving so it's gonna take a collab effort between the V Club, NAA and the AD (already happening)

1. Over 20,000 people have graduated from Valley with a degree with most of those living but still the smallest alum base by far

2. Less that 5%. MAYBE with a new president and young AD that's under 40, that will energize the base (2 new chapters have formed this year and 2 more are currently being organized)

3. It was way too old 10 years ago. I graduated in 2003 and was the youngest person in the room at a few meetings I went to. People 30-50 should be the lifeline of the chapter not people that graduated in the 60s-70s. I personally have had some bad experiences with some people in leadership so that ran me off (and I aint the only person like this)

4. The new chapters being organized/activated show that they have plans but still got a ways to go to get a lot more of that 30-50 demo

We ain't got the alum base to depend a lot on us giving so it's gonna take a collab effort between the V Club, NAA and the AD (already happening)
In your opinion, what role, if any, should the over-50 alums play? Or should they just stand in the corner and be quiet? Since they, in many instances, have the most wealth, is their money good in your organization, or should they take their money and run?

In your opinion, what role, if any, should the over-50 alums play? Or should they just stand in the corner and be quiet? Since they, in many instances, have the most wealth, is their money good in your organization, or should they take their money and run?

Alums in their 50s can still be active (especially up to 55). I dont have a problem with alums in their 50s. Valley's problem is that I know with the 3 chapters I hit up (one twice, the other 2 multiple times including the chapter I briefly joined) the average age was over 60 with 2 of the chapter presidents graduated in the 60s. A couple of years ago, 80% of the active members in the NAA were life members (with a good number who joined when it was $100). You shouldn't have a chapter full of people like that

That's slowly changing thankfully

Alums in their 50s can still be active (especially up to 55). I dont have a problem with alums in their 50s. Valley's problem is that I know with the 3 chapters I hit up (one twice, the other 2 multiple times including the chapter I briefly joined) the average age was over 60 with 2 of the chapter presidents graduated in the 60s. A couple of years ago, 80% of the active members in the NAA were life members (with a good number who joined when it was $100). You shouldn't have a chapter full of people like that

That's slowly changing thank
So, again, what should those older alums do? Take tneir money and go? Since you are ONE MVSU, why not work together as such? This division stuff will get you nowhere, in my opinion..

Back