SWAC Football Championship & 8-game slate made official.

yep. You know some of y'all will be like, we had a better record. we won more swac games etc. It has the potential to cause confusion, and will be an excuse to go back to 9 games for some. It does not show bias or prejudice as it would be evenly applied to all conference programs. I do understand the comish's point, but from a competitive standpoint it does not help conference members get better if we only play one another.
Doesn't seem to be an issue for the ACC.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I honestly feel like the whole “we can’t get better playing each other” sentiment doesn’t make sense when we have to play each other to be division and conference champs. How about this, the schools that want to schedule actual OOC opponents do so and let JSU/SU/ALCORN/Gram schedule each other as OOC if they see fit. We ALL know the type of revenue that is and it also keeps the rivalries going strong. It’s not hard people. Goodness.

I honestly feel like the whole “we can’t get better playing each other” sentiment doesn’t make sense when we have to play each other to be division and conference champs. How about this, the schools that want to schedule actual OOC opponents do so and let JSU/SU/ALCORN/Gram schedule each other as OOC if they see fit. We ALL know the type of revenue that is and it also keeps the rivalries going strong. It’s not hard people. Goodness.

Let's be real, the only schools that want to do this is jsu & su, you don't really see gsu & alcorn bringing it up. Jsu just has to always take the lazy way out since they don't want to play anyone else ooc or even look for someone other than the regulat TnSt game and a full Swac slate which gives them 10 games. The overall conference ratings is based on who we play as a whole OOC with wins and losses.

The 8 game schedule is the happy medium where you get to play 4 & 4 with 4 home and 4 away conference games. Where they messed it up is with them going with the 2 consecutive years missed opponent vs the 1 year missed opponent rotation.

Let's be real, the only schools that want to do this is jsu & su, you don't really see gsu & alcorn bringing it up. Jsu just has to always take the lazy way out since they don't want to play anyone else ooc or even look for someone other than the regulat TnSt game and a full Swac slate which gives them 10 games. The overall conference ratings is based on who we play as a whole OOC with wins and losses.

The 8 game schedule is the happy medium where you get to play 4 & 4 with 4 home and 4 away conference games. Where they messed it up is with them going with the 2 consecutive years missed opponent vs the 1 year missed opponent rotation.

So scheduling a quality OOC opponent AND making money from it, if possible, is lazy to you? You ain’t making a lick of sense with this statement. This is moreso of a hate-based reply than anything and it shows lol.

You calling JSU lazy but I guarantee the only years we would have SWAC schools as OOC would be when SU or Gram ain’t on our schedule as a conference game.

What if we the SWAC fined ASU for playing non D-1 schools.
what I would do is tell schools they can not play more than 3 fbs programs and 3 non-DI programs in a 2 year period. that way you can not schedule 2 fbs money games every year & also can not play multiple DII and lower programs every year.

So scheduling a quality OOC opponent AND making money from it, if possible, is lazy to you? You ain’t making a lick of sense with this statement. This is moreso of a hate-based reply than anything and it shows lol.

You calling JSU lazy but I guarantee the only years we would have SWAC schools as OOC would be when SU or Gram ain’t on our schedule as a conference game.
Dude just talking nonsense. JSU has always scheduled OOC schools on the road and at home. It's Grambling who scheduled JSU as an OOC game. JSU only has to come up with one OOC game to it's schedule due to the fact that Tenn. State is a given, but it's supposed to be lazy? It's real dumb to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars just to fit in with the white folks. They ain't the one paying our bills.
Annual revenue drives FCS sports, not some random OOC game that garners zero dollars and little fan interest.

Dude just talking nonsense. JSU has always scheduled OOC schools on the road and at home. It's Grambling who scheduled JSU as an OOC game. JSU only has to come up with one OOC game to it's schedule due to the fact that Tenn. State is a given, but it's supposed to be lazy? It's real dumb to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars just to fit in with the white folks. They ain't the one paying our bills.
Annual revenue drives FCS sports, not some random OOC game that garners zero dollars and little fan interest.

Exactly. If it don’t make $$ it don’t make sense. Folks need to get out of their feelings with this “fair” stuff. If anything it’s not fair that only certain schools and fans generate more revenue in conference than others. If they really feel like it’s not fair, get on your AD and fans and do something about it. Or better yet, do what’s best for your fan base as we will for ours and move on. Simple concept.

IMO, I think it makes no sense to take schools off your schedule that generate revenue and a lot of fan attendance for schools that do the opposite, outside of those stupid FBS money games of course. Other than that, JSU never has a problem scheduling any other non-SWAC Opponent when SU and Gram are SWAC opponents for that year. Folks just need to get their weight up and shut up.

Why are folks making this so difficult?
It's a simple plan that's fair to ALL schools in the conference.
You get 4 home games and 4 away games with 2 & 2 being from each division.

This will be difficult because the current SWAC formula calls for most teams only making money on home SWAC games. Visitors are paid a flat rate that generally covers travel expenses. No one wants to give up a home game.

That’s Bull, I know Alcorn wants to play SU and Gram wants to play Alcorn.

This will be difficult because the current SWAC formula calls for most teams only making money on home SWAC games. Visitors are paid a flat rate that generally covers travel expenses. No one wants to give up a home game.

No one is giving up a home game. In most cases, you are gaining a home game. You're guaranteed 4 home conference games per year. With the 7 game you had either 4 or 3 home conference games.

I’m in favor of playing Alcorn and Jackson every single year for the rest of existence.

Using McClelland's argument that the 8-game schedule will help a team's chances of getting an at-large playoff spot ...

If Jackson and Alcorn look to be in line for an at-large playoff spot, playing Grambling in years they don't have to puts them in jeopardy. Let's say Alcorn goes 8-3 (7-1), loses to Jackson head-up, and one of those OOC losses is to a conference team (Grambling) they shouldn't be playing and an FBS team. You know the committee would penalize Alcorn for losing to Grambling as an "OOC" game more than they'd penalize the FBS loss.

Then we'll be on the board complaining why Alcorn or Jackson didn't get an at-large playoff spot ... and the committee would point to the OOC schedules.

Now Southern, Grambling and Alabama State DGAF about playoffs, but we should be doing our best to at least put another member in position to be in consideration. That way, we can have the best of both worlds – a Celebration Bowl and a strong team potentially wrecking shop/have a strong showing in the FCS playoffs.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Using McClelland's argument that the 8-game schedule will help a team's chances of getting an at-large playoff spot ...

If Jackson and Alcorn look to be in line for an at-large playoff spot, playing Grambling in years they don't have to puts them in jeopardy. Let's say Alcorn goes 8-3 (7-1), loses to Jackson head-up, and one of those OOC losses is to a conference team (Grambling) they shouldn't be playing and an FBS team. You know the committee would penalize Alcorn for losing to Grambling as an "OOC" game more than they'd penalize the FBS loss.

Then we'll be on the board complaining why Alcorn or Jackson didn't get an at-large playoff spot ... and the committee would point to the OOC schedules.

Now Southern, Grambling and Alabama State DGAF about playoffs, but we should be doing our best to at least put another member in position to be in consideration. That way, we can have the best of both worlds – a Celebration Bowl and a strong team potentially wrecking shop/have a strong showing in the FCS playoffs.
And how would the above theory help maintain athletic budgets for said teams?
Would it inflate the budget or deflate the budget? If it's the latter, that would effect not only football, but most of the non-revenue sports, putting some athletic departments in dire straits for the entire year.
Football is the major supporter of most non-revenue sports in FCS football. Without that support, some schools would have to shut down some sports programs like southern had to a few years back.

I'm so glad that someone from Southern pointed this out.

This has nothing to do with the other schools "hating" on the 4 schools mentioned but the fact that Dr. McCelland is literally on record saying that he wants the CB AND participation in the FCS playoffs so schools will have to schedule accordingly.

I would laugh Alcorn/JSU out of the room as well if they cry about losing to Grambling in an OOC game with a 7-4 record because they don't respect the SWAC like that. Alcorn could put Tennessee State or FAMU on the schedule if need to play a HBCU so bad but at least it is a legit OOC opponent in conferences stronger than the SWAC at this point. There are enough Southland and OVC schools in the region to get one of them on the schedule

And how would the above theory help maintain athletic budgets for said teams?
Would it inflate the budget or deflate the budget? If it's the latter, that would effect not only football, but most of the non-revenue sports, putting some athletic departments in dire straits for the entire year.
Football is the major supporter of most non-revenue sports in FCS football. Without that support, some schools would have to shut down some sports programs like southern had to a few years back.

It's not a theory, it's an actual scenario that COULD happen. Let's say Jackson has Southern off for two years and has a couple of years to plan for not having Southern on the schedule — in actuality, one years hurts Jackson's bottom line more because they lose that home game. Jackson really has only two other OOC dates with the traditional Memphis game against Tennessee State. Jackson could either schedule an FBS game and an attractive regional sectional game in those two years to make up for the loss.

And this coming from a fan of a school who really need all the money they can get for athletics? Just leaves one scratching his head.

I'm so glad that someone from Southern pointed this out.

This has nothing to do with the other schools "hating" on the 4 schools mentioned but the fact that Dr. McCelland is literally on record saying that he wants the CB AND participation in the FCS playoffs so schools will have to schedule accordingly.

I would laugh Alcorn/JSU out of the room as well if they cry about losing to Grambling in an OOC game with a 7-4 record because they don't respect the SWAC like that. Alcorn could put Tennessee State or FAMU on the schedule if need to play a HBCU so bad but at least it is a legit OOC opponent in conferences stronger than the SWAC at this point. There are enough Southland and OVC schools in the region to get one of them on the schedule

This really has nothing to do with me being a Southern grad. It has to do with strengthening the conference.

I understood McClelland's philosophy, but him saying a 2-year roll-off only puts the 8-game schedule in trouble if a goal is to strengthen the conference so a team not in the SCG could get an at-large bid. I think just rolling a school off once every five years would've been a better tasting pill to swallow.

It's not a theory, it's an actual scenario that COULD happen. Let's say Jackson has Southern off for two years and has a couple of years to plan for not having Southern on the schedule — in actuality, one years hurts Jackson's bottom line more because they lose that home game. Jackson really has only two other OOC dates with the traditional Memphis game against Tennessee State. Jackson could either schedule an FBS game and an attractive regional sectional game in those two years to make up for the loss.
Who would that attractive opponent be that's comparable to southern? And all this for a playoff bid that by the numbers is not likely to occur any how? That's a wasted 300,000 dollar home game.
Where will that money come from? No visiting team outside of the SWAC will make up for that loss.
Then that financial loss will trickle down to other sports for the remainder of the year and for what?
It's no where near worth it, not for the JSU or southern fans, including the band fans.

This really has nothing to do with me being a Southern grad. It has to do with strengthening the conference.

I understood McClelland's philosophy, but him saying a 2-year roll-off only puts the 8-game schedule in trouble if a goal is to strengthen the conference so a team not in the SCG could get an at-large bid. I think just rolling a school off once every five years would've been a better tasting pill to swallow.
Win our FCS out of conference games that we already have.

It doesn't have anything with you being a SU grad but you are a SU grad nonetheless

I am not in favor of the 2 year roll off either. The one year roll off is much more feasible

I am cool with the 8 game mandate as long as it is balanced (as some have said, have PV travel to AAMU but play ASU at home)

They still need to address SWAC schools playing each other as OOC opponents thing because we know what's gonna happen if it is not addressed and the GSU/SU/JSU/Alcorn combo don't wanna roll off each other's schedule
If Valley ever has a competitive team, we will take over your stadium. Who gets excited to play a 2-3 win team that we know we will beat. But I have been to SU/Valley games when SU took over in the 90’s and 2000’s.

Back