SWAC Football Championship & 8-game slate made official.

Using McClelland's argument that the 8-game schedule will help a team's chances of getting an at-large playoff spot ...

If Jackson and Alcorn look to be in line for an at-large playoff spot, playing Grambling in years they don't have to puts them in jeopardy. Let's say Alcorn goes 8-3 (7-1), loses to Jackson head-up, and one of those OOC losses is to a conference team (Grambling) they shouldn't be playing and an FBS team. You know the committee would penalize Alcorn for losing to Grambling as an "OOC" game more than they'd penalize the FBS loss.

Then we'll be on the board complaining why Alcorn or Jackson didn't get an at-large playoff spot ... and the committee would point to the OOC schedules.

Now Southern, Grambling and Alabama State DGAF about playoffs, but we should be doing our best to at least put another member in position to be in consideration. That way, we can have the best of both worlds – a Celebration Bowl and a strong team potentially wrecking shop/have a strong showing in the FCS playoffs.
Don’t get me wrong. I totally understand your perspective. I just don’t care enough about the playoffs to concern myself with that element. If a school’s goal is to do the playoffs, they should make the best decision for them. I’m a fan. I want to see the games I want to see. I grew up my entire life going to Alcorn and Jackson games with my grandparents home and away. To not play each other from my perspective is sacrilegious. If Alcorn or Jackson decided not to play us, ok but I would not as Grambling not play them by choice.

And this coming from a fan of a school who really need all the money they can get for athletics? Just leaves one scratching his head.

So does Jackson State have a T Boone Pickens? Does Southern? No.

We all need all the money we can get — across the board.
Don’t get me wrong. I totally understand your perspective. I just don’t care enough about the playoffs to concern myself with that element. If a school’s goal is to do the playoffs, they should make the best decision for them. I’m a fan. I want to see the games I want to see. I grew up my entire life going to Alcorn and Jackson games with my grandparents home and away. To not play each other from my perspective is sacrilegious. If Alcorn or Jackson decided not to play us, ok but I would not as Grambling not play them by choice.

I’m not the biggest fan of the playoffs. However, I’m using the logic McClelland was using to sell the 8-game schedule.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
All these athletic directors in here lol
Some been directing 10-20+ yrs on this board. Why y’all didn’t apply for the commissioner job? With all that experience, We (SWAC) paying a minimum of $250k.

And how would the above theory help maintain athletic budgets for said teams?
Would it inflate the budget or deflate the budget? If it's the latter, that would effect not only football, but most of the non-revenue sports, putting some athletic departments in dire straits for the entire year.
Football is the major supporter of most non-revenue sports in FCS football. Without that support, some schools would have to shut down some sports programs like southern had to a few years back.

Tell these lazy ass presidents and AD to raise money via legitimate athletic fundraising campaigns! Football OOC scheduling is NOT A FUNDRAISING STRATEGY

If the finances are that bad, just go D2 and quit the woe is me BS

And this all over scheduling one more OOC games? Yall crazy as hell. What AD in his right mind gone give up giving to the people what they want and getting hundreds of thousands in return?
AAMU folks tailgate more than they come inside the game, so how is that the AD's fault?
Black folks ain't gone sellout no games with no white school at home and white folks ain't gone show up at our stadiums in mass numbers. That's just the way it is.
Ask school's like Tenn. State and now Hampton.
They gotta play other Black schools in "classics" to make real money in return.

And this all over scheduling one more OOC games? Yall crazy as hell. What AD in his right mind gone give up giving to the people what they want and getting hundreds of thousands in return?
AAMU folks tailgate more than they come inside the game, so how is that the AD's fault?
Black folks ain't gone sellout no games with no white school at home and white folks ain't gone show up at our stadiums in mass numbers. That's just the way it is.
Ask school's like Tenn. State and now Hampton.
They gotta play other Black schools in "classics" to make real money in return.

This is the problem...

Black folks worried about attendance ... low hanging fruit.

The SWAC has led FCS in attendance for decades and would get EMBARRASSED by top 10 FCS teams.

Thank God the Commissioner has long term vision.

You dont GROW without improvement

If all you got out of my post was mere attendance, then somebody failed at comprehension.
Attendance drives the athletic budget. Low attendance equates to little money for athletics.
How you missed that part is beyond me.
Besides, we already play out of conference schools. Why don't we concentrate on winning THOSE games instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
Simply schedule two quality games and win. If we do that as a conference, that's 20 out of conference games where we can tell how good the conference as a whole is.

If all you got out of my post was mere attendance, then somebody failed at comprehension.
Attendance drives the athletic budget. Low attendance equates to little money for athletics.
How you missed that part is beyond me.
Besides, we already play out of conference schools. Why don't we concentrate on winning THOSE games instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
Simply schedule two quality games and win. If we do that as a conference, that's 20 out of conference games where we can tell how good the conference as a whole is.

JayRob, hear me clearly...

The revenue produced by attendance under the current circumstances is LOW HANGING FRUIT

When is the last time the SWAC had more than 3 teams in the FCS top 25 for consecutive seasons?

When is the last time a SWAC basketball player was drafted in the 1st round? Or drafted period?

When is the last time a SWAC non revenue sport went past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament?

Are these not worthy goals or are you all just content being an insulated band battle & schitt talking conference?

JayRob, hear me clearly...

The revenue produced by attendance under the current circumstances is LOW HANGING FRUIT

When is the last time the SWAC had more than 3 teams in the FCS top 25 for consecutive seasons?

When is the last time a SWAC basketball player was drafted in the 1st round? Or drafted period?

When is the last time a SWAC non revenue sport went past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament?

Are these not worthy goals or are you all just content being an insulated band battle & schitt talking conference?
Dude, what are you talking about? Didn't I just say that we all already play out of conference games? Why don't we try winning THOSE games first?
Each SWAC school plays at least two out of conference games. If each school can win those FCS games three quarters of the time, then we'll automatically get recognition. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

One question.....how would you replace a 300,000 dollar home game? If you can't answer that one question, you're blowing smoke when it comes to revenue sense.

And as for AD's, it's up to them to come up with ways to raise more money. Cancelling games that garner 200 to 300 thousand dollars at home would be doing just the opposite and quite unsmart.

Last edited:
Dude, what are you talking about? Didn't I just say that we all already play out of conference games? Why don't we try winning THOSE games first?
Each SWAC school plays at least two out of conference games. If each school can win those FCS games three quarters of the time, then we'll automatically get recognition. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

One question.....how would you replace a 300,000 dollar home game? If you can't answer that one question, you're blowing smoke when it comes to revenue sense.

And as for AD's, it's up to them to come up with ways to raise more money. Cancelling games that garner 200 to 300 thousand dollars at home would be doing just the opposite and quite unsmart.

Which home conference games profited $300,000 last year (income after expenses)?

Which home conference games profited $300,000 last year (income after expenses)?
Where did I say last year? When southern (one of the games yall want to roll off from JSU's schedule) comes to Jackson, that easily grosses past 300,000.
30,000x20.00=600,000 dollars alone. Not counting 10.00 parking, plus 150 dollar RV parking. Then merchandise sales, food sales, etc.. Free stadium costs.
Now add that up. That's around 700,000 dollars easy and that's being conservative.
You saying JSU should give that up for a fictional playoff game that may not even happen?

Where did I say last year? When southern (one of the games yall want to roll off from JSU's schedule) comes to Jackson, that easily grosses past 300,000.
30,000x20.00=600,000 dollars alone. Not counting 10.00 parking, plus 150 dollar RV parking. Then merchandise sales, food sales, etc.. Free stadium costs.
Now add that up. That's around 700,000 dollars easy and that's being conservative.
You saying JSU should give that up for a fictional playoff game that may not even happen?

Then simply designate the SU game as a protected rival that never rolls off.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
LOL ... If you're going to have protected rivalries with teams from opposing divisions ... might as well scrap divisional play as well and have the two best records play in the SCG.

What is wrong with Low Hanging Fruit?

In and of itself, nothing. However, it will stunt growth in the quality of our programs.
How do you expect to get better when you avoid OOC FCS programs just to play another "non conference" game with a conference foe?
Just say that you don't care to improve quality of play by recruiting higher caliber athletes. No need in being intellectually dishonest about it.

LOL ... If you're going to have protected rivalries with teams from opposing divisions ... might as well scrap divisional play as well and have the two best records play in the SCG.

Which is what we have been talking about on here for years.

SU and JSU would choose each other. Grambling and Alcorn would choose each other. Valley would end up with UAPB by default leaving the Texas and Bama schools screwed.

Which is what we have been talking about on here for years.

SU and JSU would choose each other. Grambling and Alcorn would choose each other. Valley would end up with UAPB by default leaving the Texas and Bama schools screwed.

Hell, half the SWAC don't want us in the conference anyway. I'd gladly play UNA every year lol

In and of itself, nothing. However, it will stunt growth in the quality of our programs.
How do you expect to get better when you avoid OOC FCS programs just to play another "non conference" game with a conference foe?
Just say that you don't care to improve quality of play by recruiting higher caliber athletes. No need in being intellectually dishonest about it.

Who is avoiding?

Back