SWAC Football Championship & 8-game slate made official.

I am cool with the 8 game mandate as long as it is balanced (as some have said, have PV travel to AAMU but play ASU at home)

They still need to address SWAC schools playing each other as OOC opponents thing because we know what's gonna happen if it is not addressed and the GSU/SU/JSU/Alcorn combo don't wanna roll off each other's schedule
need to fine both teams 200k. that will remove all incentive to play each other as ooc.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There in lies the rub. Our model is the simplest to follow. It also provides balanced scheduling for schools. And yes, the schedule has to be fair to cut down on travel expenses as much as possible (ex. PV only going to AAMU while hosting Alabama State)

I think they missed the ball on what they are going to do. I think a 2 year roll off is a bit much instead of rolling off 1 time every 5 years instead of this 2 year roll off in 10 years. He did say that school could still play each other as a OOC game when they are not scheduled as a conference game. That was the one reason I would have went with the 1 year roll off every 5 years where schools wouldn't be entised to play that 1 year.

Some AD's need to do their job.
I mean Texas Louisiana, Bama and Mississippi have ample amounts of FCS programs to choice from. Southern should play SELA, NWST and Nicholls, every year. If they play Nicholls at Nicholls, then SELA should be at Baton Rouge and then you throw in a FAMU, and ULL TULANE, LTECH or PWI. It's not hard work.

Trust me the feeling is mutual the way your fans travel (and your band doesn't) to Valley it shows. AAMU brings more fans and they are farther away

That's whenever any SU fans say they take over opposing fans stadiums, that is a flat out lie considering that I've been to just about all the games at Valley involving Southern and you will see maybe 2 RVs and enough fans to fit to fit on 2 charter buses
Heck that's about all your stadium could fit back when I was in school. lol

They did 2 year roll off so each team would have a home game, but I see what you are saying.

With a 1 year roll off you still get those home games. It's just the team that roll off first you won't play again for 4 years.

Some AD's need to do their job.
I mean Texas Louisiana, Bama and Mississippi have ample amounts of FCS programs to choice from. Southern should play SELA, NWST and Nicholls, every year. If they play Nicholls at Nicholls, then SELA should be at Baton Rouge and then you throw in a FAMU, and ULL TULANE, LTECH or PWI. It's not hard work.
None of those schools will create the excitement or revenue as SU and JSU.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
@Fiyah Charles said off for two and on for eight seasons. He didn't necessarily say two years back-to-back. So our idea is still on the board. Still can break it down once per five years.

Nevermind. He said the back-to-back year model LOL

I would argue against Dr. McClelland's logic of Southern-Jackson playing when rotating off when it comes to playoffs, since Southern doesn't go to the playoffs ... losing that game would put Jackson's at-large prospects in some jeopardy. If Jackson plays up and loses, then you can say they lost to an FBS team.

Last edited:
need to fine both teams 200k. that will remove all incentive to play each other as ooc.

That would show prejudice and bias. We dont live a world that accepts that. What if a classic decided to invite AlaState and SU on an off year, they get fined too?

That would show prejudice and bias. We dont live a world that accepts that. What if a classic decided to invite AlaState and SU on an off year, they get fined too?
yep. You know some of y'all will be like, we had a better record. we won more swac games etc. It has the potential to cause confusion, and will be an excuse to go back to 9 games for some. It does not show bias or prejudice as it would be evenly applied to all conference programs. I do understand the comish's point, but from a competitive standpoint it does not help conference members get better if we only play one another.

Explain why you want teams/schools to not make money?
I don't want us playing one another when we are not scheduled to do so. You make money by winning football games. Alcorn has won games and makes money. Bama State loses games and that's why their basketball program generates more income than football.
So I do want our schools/teams to make money. If we only play each other we can't win as many games. If SU plays JSU on an off year, someone has to lose. If they play OOC instead, they both have the potential to win and in the long term make money.
playing each other on an off year to make money = a hustle. building a program that can beat someone not in the swac = a plan.

I don't want us playing one another when we are not scheduled to do so. You make money by winning football games. Alcorn has won games and makes money. Bama State loses games and that's why their basketball program generates more income than football.
So I do want our schools/teams to make money. If we only play each other we can't win as many games. If SU plays JSU on an off year, someone has to lose. If they play OOC instead, they both have the potential to win and in the long term make money.
playing each other on an off year to make money = a hustle. building a program that can beat someone not in the swac = a plan.
Let AlaSt do what AlaSt does and let other schools do what they do.

Last edited:
What if we the SWAC fined ASU for playing non D-1 schools.

Back