SWAC Announces 2019 ESPN Football Schedule

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
One of the best TV lineups we've had in years. Although most of it is on ESPN3

The Southwestern Athletic Conference has announced the upcoming ESPN line-up for the 2019 season highlighted by a total of 13 games that will be featured across ESPN’s networks.

“When we began scheduling the upcoming lineup of ESPN games we sought match-ups that would give viewers and the average fan that may not get to attend our games a strong representation of our brand of football,” said SWAC Commissioner Dr. Charles McClelland.

“This upcoming slate of games highlights several annual classics, traditional conference rivalries, and matchups that feature teams that played highly competitive games last season, while also providing viewers a unique look at the excitement and pageantry found on display any given day at a SWAC football game,” added McClelland.

“Overall the relationship we have with ESPN along with this 2019 lineup games, provides our league with national exposure, marketing, brand recognition, and visibility that will be on par with many of the football conferences at the FBS level.”

https://swac.org/news/2019/6/20/swac-announces-2019-espn-football-schedule.aspx
DATETIMEGAMEWATCH
August 315:30 pmPrairie View A&M at Texas SouthernESPN3 (5:30 pm live) ESPNU (*9:30 pm tape delay)
September 12:00 pmBethune-Cookman vs. Jackson StateESPN2 (2:00 pm live)
September 215:00 pmPrairie View A&M at Alcorn StateESPN3 (5:00 pm live) ESPNU (*9:30 pm tape delay)
September 286:00 pmSouthern at Arkansas-Pine BluffESPN3 (6:00 pm live)
October 56:00 pmGrambling State at Jackson StateESPN3 (6:00 pm live)
October 126:00 pmPrairie View A&M at SouthernESPN3 (6:00 pm live)
October 192:00 pmJackson State at Mississippi Valley StateESPN3 (2:00 pm live) ESPNU (*12:15 am tape delay)
October 246:30 pmJackson State at Prairie View A&MESPNU (6:30 pm live)
October 262:30 pmAlabama A&M vs. Alabama StateESPN3 (2:30 pm live) ESPNU (*9:30 pm tape delay)
November 24:00 pmAlabama A&M at SouthernESPN3 (4:00 pm live)
November 92:00 pmAlcorn State at Grambling StateESPN3 (2:00 pm live) ESPNU (*9:30 pm tape delay)
November 232:00 pmAlcorn State at Jackson StateESPN3 (2:00 pm live)
December 73:00 pm2019 SWAC Football ChampionshipESPNU (3:00 pm live)

The SWAC released its ESPN Football Schedule today. As of now, a total of 13 games will air on various ESPN platforms this season.
Click the link to check out the matchups

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm glad that the SWAC Commissioner is utilizing ESPN3 a lot more this year than our previous great commish did ensuring almost all of the SWAC gets at least one game on the worldwide leader

I'm glad that Valley/JSU will get a national audience

I'm glad that the SWAC Commissioner is utilizing ESPN3 a lot more this year than our previous great commish did ensuring almost all of the SWAC gets at least one game on the worldwide leader

I'm glad that Valley/JSU will get a national audience

Yep, unlike other years. Every school in the conference gets a game to be shown.

This some bullshit... how AAMU and ASU dont get a home game.... We haven’t had a home game on tv since 2011... I get the commish is from Jackson but damn... there are other teams in the conference.
Y'all wouldn't show up. And before you say ANYTHING about sTu we will be in the house for PV...maybe not for anyone else but we will be there for PV.

Y'all wouldn't show up. And before you say ANYTHING about sTu we will be in the house for PV...maybe not for anyone else but we will be there for PV.
bama st vs. pvamu will be packed. the bama state vs. tuskegee game would have made good television as well.

bama st vs. pvamu will be packed. the bama state vs. tuskegee game would have made good television as well.

Bama State/Skegee "might" would have a shot for TV if the game was played on Sunday evening (when it is actually on Labor Day weekend), we are not an attractive TV match up on a full football Saturday and there will be plenty of P5 out of conference games that weekend. The PV/Bama State game would be nice, we messed up our live tv spot by moving the game from Turkey Day to the Saturday before Thanksgiving for 2 years during Boyd's tenure. We were choice and prime programming prior to that because ESPN needed live programming - those slots have now been filled with basketball.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
A wink and a nod to Jackson is what's up... PV vs GSU is a great game to showcase.

I am guessing the JSU vs BCC was automatic (SWAC-MEAC challenge). If you're trying to get everyone on ESPN and showcase every team, then the best game to showcase Valley will be against JSU (default). The other games it's hard to complain about based on the schedule for THIS year.

This some bullshit... how AAMU and ASU dont get a home game.... We haven’t had a home game on tv since 2011... I get the commish is from Jackson but damn... there are other teams in the conference.

Man, AAMU got 2 games out of an 11 game CONFERENCE schedule. Maybe next year you will get a home TV game. That game in Mobile last year that was on TV against S.U. was AAMU's home game. Win the East and conference and you'll have two more on Nat'l TV (in addition to any non conference ESPN3 games, PPV or You Tube games you'll appear on)

Last edited:
What’s up with all of these JSU games? The PV and GSU game should have made the list.

You would need to eliminate the BCC game (automatic) and MVSU (Default). Then you would need to compare the conference schedule for JSU other 3 games and advise what 3 games would have been better to showcase for those 3 weeks. If you can show better games to showcase for those three weeks, you have an argument. If not, you're blowing smoke...

Last edited:
I do not know if anyone noticed but only one of the ESPN games is on a Thursday night and there are two games on ESPN that week...Thursday and Saturday.

Like most everyone I would like to see the games on ESPNU, ESPN2, ESPN Classic or ESPN but considering what we had before and the condition the conference is in having to re-establish our brand on a national level I am content for now.

I do not know if anyone noticed but only one of the ESPN games is on a Thursday night and there are two games on ESPN that week...Thursday and Saturday.

Like most everyone I would like to see the games on ESPNU, ESPN2, ESPN Classic or ESPN but considering what we had before and the condition the conference is in having to re-establish our brand on a national level I am content for now.

When we interviewed the commissioner back in September, it seems like he wasn't too keen on ESPN3/+ but it seems like that's the only way we could get back on the ESPN platforms. Remember last year, we only had like 3 ESPNU games and NO ESPN3 games involving SWAC teams so this year is an improvement. The best way to get back on ESPNU regularly is have great ratings on ESPN3.

Then there is ESPN+ which I wouldn't be surprised to see a game or two added to that platform. The SWAC TV schedule will be released down the road plus there are the non-conference matchups that could be on ESPN or other networks/streaming channels (Stadium, etc.)

Plus don't be shocked if a game or two is flexed to Thursday night (for Valley, the JSU game is set for ESPN3 and we know that is our money game but I could see Grambling or Alabama State flexed to Thursday if we are improved and those games actually mean something)

Back