Spears ruling: Coach awarded $600,000

The President "had it up to here"??? :smh:

Classifying a man with 3 years left on a 5 year contract as "at-will"??? :smh:

I don't think a Yale Law graduate could even won this. Judson and Mathieu didn't do things right even though i still feel he should have been fired. This has nothing to do with Southern. Narcissism day in and out. lol

It was all Judson and thre was no changing his mind despite folk telling him about the contract.....I was there when the call came through....Grambling appealed though so Spears won't have his money yet....Jerry Baldwin went thru the same but lost the appeal

I'm so glad that Judson is gone. You must do things decent and in order for things like this don't happen. Glad this mess is over. Now the University can continue to move forward. Hearing enrollment will be up in the fall, 110th Anniversary Fundraising Campaign and major plans are on the way.

Last edited:
I would be afraid if McNair was there and it was the early 90's lol. We are not worried and i'm so serious. It will be like Homecoming for us, on all facets.:read:

We'll see. Should be an interesting game. I hope Spears get Air Canada RIGHT. If he gets some help in the wr area, we may be pretty good. Still worried about our defense though.

We'll see. Should be an interesting game. I hope Spears get Air Canada RIGHT. If he gets some help in the wr area, we may be pretty good. Still worried about our defense though.

If we blow the game open from the start and go up 14-0 or 21-0, Doug's balanced attack goes out the window. As long as our defense for this season only is "bend but not break" I'll be happy.

That game in Shreveport is going to be very intense. Grambling may try to embarrass Alcorn. I hear Doug has a slew of transfers coming in.

Doug must have enrolled in a class called "Transfer Recruiting 101" with an instructor named Dr. Comegy. If this is the case, well....that was Doug's choice for his instructor. However, if my instructor was about to get sent packing, that should have given me some hint but proceed :lol:.

It's official for me.
Forget JSU -vs- Corcedia on Labor Day.

I'll be at the Alcorn -vs- Gram game in Shreveport. If Spears come in and win that game after all this............LAWD. It will be worth the ticket price to hear GRAM fans boo Spears out the stadium during pre-game introductions. :lol:

We won't lose. Alcorn won't be able to score much against our defense and Alcorn doesn't have a defense to stop us from scoring. Just watch.

It's official for me.
Forget JSU -vs- Corcedia on Labor Day.

I'll be at the Alcorn -vs- Gram game in Shreveport. If Spears come in and win that game after all this............LAWD. It will be worth the ticket price to hear GRAM fans boo Spears out the stadium during pre-game introductions. :lol:

As of now, I plan on being in the 'Sip for a wedding that weekend. Normally, I would be trying to find a way to sneak to Jackson instead, I was tryin to see how far Shreveport is from Clarksdale. :lol:

We won't lose. Alcorn won't be able to score much against our defense and Alcorn doesn't have a defense to stop us from scoring. Just watch.

Alcorn is gonna give ya'll hell. Alcorn is never a real threat to JSU because their team has too many injuries to compete past mid-season. They implode every year by the 7th or 8th game because they don't have depth but that won't matter in September. They gonna be ready for ya'll!

They can be ready but they still won't beat us. We have to much talent and the coaching to go with it. Like i said some days ago if you can't stop anyone you can't win. Now i would be more worried about Alcorn in the mid to end of the season.

uum I don't think so. The money the state would have given you to pay Spears, went to Broadway. I'm not so sure the state is gonna give you more money to pay off losing a lawsuit. I think this will come out of the athletic or university budget.

Gramblings defense was the President was "fed up to here with Spears". :rolleyes: :lmao: Simply Classic.

Jag, I think that might have been a SU lawyer stickin it to GSU on the sly. :lol:

:bawling:

Spears ruling: Coach awarded $600,000

By JOE GYAN JR.
Advocate staff writer
Published: May 6, 2011 - UPDATED: 5:14 p.m.
Comments (1) An East Baton Rouge Parish jury awarded former Grambling State University head football coach Melvin Spears Jr. nearly $600,000 on Friday after finding the school breached his contract when it fired him in late 2006.

Spears, who guided Grambling to the Southwestern Athletic Conference and black college national titles in 2005, was named head football coach at Alcorn State University earlier this year.

“It’s a great opportunity to be vindicated. I’m elated,’’ Spears, 51, said of the verdict by a jury of nine men and three women.

The panel voted unanimously to award Spears $449,500 for breach of employment contract and tacked on $11,000 in penalty wages and $139,000 in attorneys’ fees.

“I’m happy with the verdict that finally vindicates Coach Spears after five years,’’ Spears’ lead attorney, Wade Shows, said.

Shows said legal interest will add another $125,000 to what the jury awarded.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Spears-ruling-Coach-awarded-600000.html?showAll=y&c=y

It looks closer to a million don't it. Dayum.....

They can be ready but they still won't beat us. We have to much talent and the coaching to go with it. Like i said some days ago if you can't stop anyone you can't win. Now i would be more worried about Alcorn in the mid to end of the season.

Ask mightyhornet what happened last year when you play Alcorn early in the season...:D.

Yall paid that man yet?

Don't pay him til after September 6th. I want to see just how much clowning SPEARS can do leading up to that game. :lol:

When a football coach is bold enough to ask the school he graduated from to forfit a game after one of the biggest natural disasters in U.S. history, you know SPEARS gonna be on the verge of cutting somebody if he ain't got his check by September 3rd. :lol:

Back