Spears ruling: Coach awarded $600,000

SUjagTILLiDIE

Spears ruling: Coach awarded $600,000

By JOE GYAN JR.
Advocate staff writer
Published: May 6, 2011 - UPDATED: 5:14 p.m.
Comments (1) An East Baton Rouge Parish jury awarded former Grambling State University head football coach Melvin Spears Jr. nearly $600,000 on Friday after finding the school breached his contract when it fired him in late 2006.

Spears, who guided Grambling to the Southwestern Athletic Conference and black college national titles in 2005, was named head football coach at Alcorn State University earlier this year.

“It’s a great opportunity to be vindicated. I’m elated,’’ Spears, 51, said of the verdict by a jury of nine men and three women.

The panel voted unanimously to award Spears $449,500 for breach of employment contract and tacked on $11,000 in penalty wages and $139,000 in attorneys’ fees.

“I’m happy with the verdict that finally vindicates Coach Spears after five years,’’ Spears’ lead attorney, Wade Shows, said.

Shows said legal interest will add another $125,000 to what the jury awarded.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Spears-ruling-Coach-awarded-600000.html?showAll=y&c=y

All I can say is WOW. Guess the Gram/Alcorn game is really going to be intense now lol. Gram yall should have hired one of SU's lawyers lol. We know how to handle these things :) .

You do know it's coming from the state not Grambling? Yall will be footing that bill also.:lol: Now that's out of the way, lets play some football.:D

Last edited:
That money comes from the state which comes out of the tax payers pocket.:read:

uum I don't think so. The money the state would have given you to pay Spears, went to Broadway. I'm not so sure the state is gonna give you more money to pay off losing a lawsuit. I think this will come out of the athletic or university budget.

Gramblings defense was the President was "fed up to here with Spears". :rolleyes: :lmao: Simply Classic.

Jag, I think that might have been a SU lawyer stickin it to GSU on the sly. :lol:

TP you mean former GSU President lol. BTW the University transferred some funds to the athletic department some months ago hell, seems as they expected it i guess. Also TP, Grambling is a State(Public) Institution, majority of the money in the athletic budget is from Louisiana Tax payers. So i didn't lie about him footing the bill also.:lecture:

Last edited:
TP you mean former GSU President lol. BTW the University transferred some funds to the athletic department some months ago hell, seems as they expected it i guess.

Um no. That was to SUppliment Gram's Athletic budget because of low funds. SU did the same thing last season. Say what you want but , if the ruling is upheld, its going to really affect Gram athletics. Gram athletic program depends on the most state funds in the state. SU next to LSU is the most self sufficient program in the state.

Last edited:
Um no. That was to SUppliment Gram's Athletic budget because of low funds. SU did the same thing last season.

Not in GSU's case. GSU just had got some extra money from the state and some donors/alumni has just given the athletic department. The law prevailed, they found that Judson's azz was wrong and the rest is history. Glad this mess is over.

Not in GSU's case. GSU just had got some extra money from the state and some donors/alumni has just given the athletic department. The law prevailed, they found that Judson's azz was wrong and the rest is history. Glad this mess is over.

ummm no lol. Donor monies goes to foundations. Do some research.

ummm no lol. Donor monies goes to foundations. Do some research.

The actual foundations can give to the athletic department. Donors can give to athletic departments. Do some research. Don't know who's lying to you. I give to what part of the university that i want to give to. I don't know any University that would tell you, no you can't give to the athletic department and you just had to give the money to the foundation. Now that might be a rule at Southern.

Last edited:
To me it seemed rather odd that they let him go which something had to have been wrong so maybe it was a good thing!

Everything happens for a reason even if we don't understand it. The University is about to launch a 110 Year Anniversary Fundraising Campaign. They need to take some out of that to get it all out the way but i'm sure the courts has the payments split up efficiently. Everyone on Facebook saying hell they need to sue Judson's azz and he needs to pay it. rotfl

The actual foundations can give to the athletic department. Donors can give to athletic departments. Do some research. Don't know who's lying to you. I give to what part of the university that i want to give to. I don't know any University that would tell you, no you can't give to the athletic department and you just had to give the money to the foundation. Now that might be a rule at Southern.

No ish :lol: about foundation money. Im talking about state funds. In these days and times where did the state get extra funds.

No ish :lol: about foundation money. Im talking about state funds. In these days and times where did the state get extra funds.

The University itself was granted 12 million dollars from the Department of Education through a grant that the school was granted. GSU was informed in Sept and the first part of the 12 million came in October. The University will get 1.2 million each year and it will last for 10 years. So i guess when they received the money, they moved money already in the account to athletics. Don't really know the details on why they moved it but the A.D. told me something about it through email.

Last edited:
The University itself was granted 12 million dollars from the Department of Education through a grant that the school was granted. GSU was informed in Sept and the first part of the 12 million came in October. The University will get 1.2 million each year and it will last for 10 years. So i guess when they received the money, they moved money already in the account to athletics. Don't really know the details on why they moved it but the A.D. told me something about it through email.

SU got that money also lol. I very seriously doubt they put that money into athletics.

SU got that money also lol. I very seriously doubt they put that money into athletics.

Notice i said:
So i guess when they received the money, they moved money already in the account to athletics.
The money from the DOE isn't for athletics so of course they wouldn't. It's strictly for educational and infrastructure purposes.

Last edited:
uum I don't think so. The money the state would have given you to pay Spears, went to Broadway. I'm not so sure the state is gonna give you more money to pay off losing a lawsuit. I think this will come out of the athletic or university budget.

Gramblings defense was the President was "fed up to here with Spears". :rolleyes: :lmao: Simply Classic.

Jag, I think that might have been a SU lawyer stickin it to GSU on the sly. :lol:

You do realize that President Judson got permission to fire Spears, right? Remember the "under review" period following the Drug Test fiasco... that was really "getting permission" period.

That game in Shreveport is going to be very intense. Grambling may try to embarrass Alcorn. I hear Doug has a slew of transfers coming in.

Back